I'm the New Caretaker for an Old Larch Grove, looking for insight.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have no idea why you even bother to type this reply out. Must really like to hear yourself talk.

But since you did, here is my reply.
-at this point I honestly dont trust his info, so “2017” may be a pretty loose date frankly
- it likely was a lot healthier before repotting and has only made it this long because this is a very deep pot and most of its roots are likely gathered at the top since he saidcit used to be in a much shallower pot.
- i very much know to avoid traditional repotting this time of year, the two options i was tossing around are far far short of that and totally aimed at near zero root disturbance. But since 8 mor months of a pot with ridiculous drainage will likely risk killing it, so way to get it drainage is the lessor of two evils.

Do you drive a car or ride a broom around Rivka?

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You don’t have to be on my thread if you don’t like me. I’m not here for you, I'm here to learn.
But if folks are here, then expect me to call them out when they post snarky unconstructive replies just to see their name in print. And if they feel it’s perfectly fine to be flippant to me, then they should be fine with me being flippant back.
I know trolls and bullies are used to folks letting them waltz around, but they will get no such free ride from me.
Pretty strange having someone stand their grown and give back what they get, I know. Don't want it? Don't post crap on my threads, up to you.

You will notice that I am never the one who goes on someone else's thread and starts crap.😘

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe put it in an Anderson flat with a bunch of pumice? I’ve never had a larch so treat my advice with a grain of blue fertilizer, but next year you could start to comb out the roots and get it shallower. I think a fun project to rehab and restyle once you can display excess vigor.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe put it in an Anderson flat with a bunch of pumice? I’ve never had a larch so treat my advice with a grain of blue fertilizer, but next year you could start to comb out the roots and get it shallower. I think a fun project to rehab and restyle once you can display excess vigor.
I think the trick this year will be to get it into a pot with drainage with the very very least effect on the roots. So either lifting, drill the pot, drop it back down. Second best may be buying a similar shaped pot. Either way, thankfully it lifts up easy in one piece by grasping the large rock and drops back down. The picture was from when i lifted it today, i drained the water and replaced it 3 min later, i wont be touching it again till i have a safe plan.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try drilling. If the pot breaks have another right there to slip pot in a larger container but be aware that you have different drainage which will make it warder to keep the core moist.

try to minimize root exposure. these really are fussy about their roots

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yep, that's the plan. I fear this pot I fragile from uv exposure, so I believe I can still get this type of pot at the local hardware store, and I'm going to get one and drill it and just do a smooth one to one transfer.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A blowtorch, an iron nail and a set of pliers make the best pot holes.
The fun part is that when you push a hot nail inside the plastic, it'll form a molten plastic rim around the hole for extra strength.

I have no idea why I'm even bothering to type this out.. The same things happen in every thread. I'm tapping out once again.
Best of luck!

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A blowtorch, an iron nail and a set of pliers make the best pot holes.
The fun part is that when you push a hot nail inside the plastic, it'll form a molten plastic rim around the hole for extra strength.

I have no idea why I'm even bothering to type this out.. The same things happen in every thread. I'm tapping out once again.
Best of luck!
Good idea, i actually use a good size soldering iron in a similar way. You are so right about the automatic reinforcement this is way smarter than drilling in this scenario

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will give best idea of rehab this tree. Dont buy any pots but make WOOODEN BOX. It will do best for your tree.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You don’t have to be on my thread if you don’t like me. I’m not here for you, I'm here to learn.
But if folks are here, then expect me to call them out when they post snarky unconstructive replies just to see their name in print. And if they feel it’s perfectly fine to be flippant to me, then they should be fine with me being flippant back.
I know trolls and bullies are used to folks letting them waltz around, but they will get no such free ride from me.
Pretty strange having someone stand their grown and give back what they get, I know. Don't want it? Don't post crap on my threads, up to you.

You will notice that I am never the one who goes on someone else's thread and starts crap.😘

If you were my neighbor, and I was 12 years old, I would try to like you during the day, but at night, I would secretly throw rocks at your house!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Try drilling. If the pot breaks have another right there to slip pot in a larger container but be aware that you have different drainage which will make it warder to keep the core moist.

try to minimize root exposure. these really are fussy about their roots
Keeping the he core moist...in such a deep. Along with everything I've read about how fussy they are with their roots. Is my concern.

I have no idea why you even bother to type this reply out. Must really like to hear yourself talk.

But since you did, here is my reply.
-at this point I honestly dont trust his info, so “2017” may be a pretty loose date frankly
- it likely was a lot healthier before repotting and has only made it this long because this is a very deep pot and most of its roots are likely gathered at the top since he saidcit used to be in a much shallower pot.
- i very much know to avoid traditional repotting this time of year, the two options i was tossing around are far far short of that and totally aimed at near zero root disturbance. But since 8 mor months of a pot with ridiculous drainage will likely risk killing it, so way to get it drainage is the lessor of two evils.
Apparently, not having tone in text, you were offended by my pointing out facts. If I've offended you in stating its seemingly healthy in the current pot for the time it's been in the pot.I just always like to ponder all facts before I take the next steps. Evaluating the situation/tree. I meant it when I wished you the best of luck. A tree with history, one wishes one to have success with.
I'm done posting here after this post , I just wanted to clear that up...for apparently, you assumed you were up against the wall with my pointing out one should always evaluate a situation letting the trees be our gauge. It's my own rule of thumb for every tree I own.

I respect the previous owner who tended it for 20 years. I've also been so sick that watering was the best I could muster to tend my trees. And that was a task...the condition of the overgrowth found in the pot didn't concern me.

I will ponder why he chose a deeper pot. Many, do that to allow a tree to become stronger again. Just food for thought.

Nothing I shared...comes with any attitude or tone. But with that said. Have a good day.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Apparently, not having tone in text, you were offended by my pointing out facts. If I've offended you in stating its seemingly healthy in the current pot for the time it's been in the pot.I just always like to ponder all facts before I take the next steps. Evaluating the situation/tree. I meant it when I wished you the best of luck. A tree with history, one wishes one to have success with.

im sorry if i miss read your post, it was a roller coaster with the first handful of folks harping on how unhealthy it all looked, without explaining why,
me explaining that the previous person did not have time for its care so put it in a bigger deeper pot to make it easier,
Being confused by a lot of things not adding up since the tree was so old,
Then discovering the drainage issue,
And being very clear that i not “repotting” because that was a Unnecessary risk, but just wanting to add drainage, seemed
Just to have someone post about it suddenly being just fine and I was the problem caretaker now looking to repot it.
Hopefully you can see how i felt like i was getting a damned if i don't, dammed if i do message that just seemed less than constructive .

thank you for taking the effort to fill in where lack of tone fails us, i for one appreciate.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you were my neighbor, and I was 12 years old, I would try to like you during the day, but at night, I would secretly throw rocks at your house!
pete, you behave like a 12 year old already. Talking how you are passive aggressive and two faced is not helping your cause. Go home.
Why do you insist one being here when you are doing nothing but showing how annoying you are? Don't you have a tree someone to tend too?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would simply add one drainage hole to the bottom of that pot and go with your January plan. I slip potted a larch last summer and almost lost it. I have never found my native eastern Larch to be fussy with its roots if the work was done during the correct season. I'm in a very hot zone for larch too, so my summer situation is a little intense.
Also do yourself a favor and put that Peter guy on "ignore" or he's going to make this thread completely unreadable. You'll see the option if you click on his face. Just my two cents

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I do, but right now I'm attending to bullies. Maybe later on the trees

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good advice on two fronts, i will do both. Thanks

Its crazy to think that trees last 100’s of year in the harsh wilds and go belly up being slipped from one pot to the next, why do we do this all again ;)

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
full disclosure I did tease out the roots a little, but that usually goes hand in hand with slip potting, or so I thought/think

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s already cleaned up, and “worth it”? Its 60+ years old and has history, its just overgrown at the moment, of course it is worth it.

Of course it is worth it. Here a rescue from my club I got in 2015. Then a picture in 2019, just before I gave it to a friend.
2015.jpg20190422_R14A1429.jpg

Top Bottom