Intelligent conversation of the Literati

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I would call it a bunjin in training or potential bunjin, but not bunjin yet. This is clearly a young tree with a whole multitude of possibilities before it. To me, a bunjin (and possibly any declared style bonsai) should exhibit signs of having lived a life where it’s look is a result of certain conditions. I’ve seen a million of saplings like this one, but I cant just put them in a pot and call them bonsai. I think it is easier to belie age with other styles because a full, dense canopy is a hallmark of a mature tree, whereas bunjin can’t rely on this. The age of the trunk is imperative in creating the illusion.
it is just a classification.
A good bunjin is old and mature. A young bunjin needs more years to become a good one, but we call it a bunjin, because it has the characteristics of a bunjin.
it is the same with chokkan, forest, broom etc. We

Yet I do not go and tell your famous pro (who is it?) to go watch a video of Ryan Neil to understand what a literati is, now do I?
Get over yourself. I am not here for highschool behaviour.

I was just showing another way to style a conifer, like Ryan do. Do you think some member here know everything ? Do you think Vance or Ryan or even Kimura knows everything ?

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
As said, it is a young plant in a pot.
I disagree with that. This young pine has the characteristics of a literati, that's why Jonas Dupuich call it a 'young literati'. Sorry but i trust more a pro like Jonas than you :p

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry but i trust more a pro like Jonas than you
I do not care what you trust or not.

This thread is about discussing literati. Not who you believe. If you have absolutely no own ideas and can only refer people to other sites or the opnion of others rather than think for yourself and have your own vision on things, you might as well just stop posting and just share weblinks. I for one am done.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I do not care what you trust or not.

This thread is about discussing literati. Not who you believe. If you have absolutely no own ideas and can only refer people to other sites or the opnion of others rather than think for yourself and have your own vision on things, you might as well just stop posting and just share weblinks. I for one am done.
I HAVE my opinion, so much that you didn't like when i disaggreed with another member here ^^
My opinion is that you're wrong when you say that a young literati doesn't exist. I agree with Jonas Dupuich. Young slant pine can belong to literati style. The quality of literati is another subject

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
it is just a classification.
A good bunjin is old and mature. A young bunjin needs more years to become a good one, but we call it a bunjin, because it has the characteristics of a bunjin.
it is the same with chokkan, forest, broom etc.
I’m not sure I agree with this because, like I said, any old squiggly seedling could then be construed as bunjin or literati until you decide to chop them or they grow enough low branches. It then becomes almost like a default classification.

You need to at least display some bonsai technique to the foliage. The trunk is a huge part, but you can’t really just call a few young sprigs on a wiggly stem bunjin. Well you can, but I don’t think it’s a fair description.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
What brought me to this thread in the first place though, is this piece of Ivy where the tree it had grown around had decomposed leaving just a spectre of the tree and a pretty gnarly form. It‘s a pretty busy picture, but the structure can be made out just about. It stands over 4ft tall and although it’s obscured, there are leaves and living tissue right near to the top.

If, with the correct treatment could this make a good literati? Is it too big or too narrow/taperless?
1D5B8D4A-0380-4E18-806A-BAA520B4236A.jpeg

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree with this because, like I said, any old squiggly seedling could then be construed as bunjin or literati until you decide to chop them or they grow enough low branches. It then becomes almost like a default classification.

You need to at least display some bonsai technique to the foliage. The trunk is a huge part, but you can’t really just call a few young sprigs on a wiggly stem bunjin. Well you can, but I don’t think it’s a fair description.
We call those unperfect trees "dans l'esprit du Lettré" (in french) which you may translate as "in the style/spirit of literati" (not sure if the translation is correct)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A shitty, would be work of art is not a work of art just because someone can spell the word. There exists a definition for everything on earth and failure to meet higher standards, when apparent to the casual observer, may be art in the making without being art. Bunjin exhibit great age and survival in spite of living in difficult circumstances, but that's only the price of admission to the studio. We walk past old stuff everyday. Just being old does not convey excellence. If a bunjin doesn't evoke interest, it fails to have a reason to exist. The word art insinuates status or effort or effect better than normal or typical. If the observer can be fooled by the artist's work, then it is probably pretty good art. If it's appearance is equivocal then it is probably not good art even if it is very old. Something that is obviously young is never bunjin. Period.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
What brought me to this thread in the first place though, is this piece of Ivy where the tree it had grown around had decomposed leaving just a spectre of the tree and a pretty gnarly form. It‘s a pretty busy picture, but the structure can be made out just about. It stands over 4ft tall and although it’s obscured, there are leaves and living tissue right near to the top.

If, with the correct treatment could this make a good literati? Is it too big or too narrow/taperless?
View attachment 319933
I like the trunk line of your Ivy but it lacks of tapper and lacks of foliage/branches on the trunk, so it looks more like a lianne than like a slant tree. IMO

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can't see the Ivy clearly enough to comment. A blank sheet of paper behind may help .

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Cheers guys, there is a tiny amount of foliage right near the top, just before it gets all raggedy at the tip. It really is only a sprig though, but I know it’s got live material up there at least. I reckon hedera helix would really suit the literati style though and it’s quite rare to find one in a situation like this so I might just have to give it a go.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’d give it a shot.
But then I have failed many times to create nice literati, but I enjoy trying.
One day I’ll have one that’s pho worthy.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I just might. I always imagined starting off with a slightly smaller one first, but a nice tall tree would be something to behold If pulled off right.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has age, movement, is tall and thin. What else do you need. Go for it and lets see it in a year agains a plain background in a training pot!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is a candidate for Literati/ Bunjin style! I collected the tree in 2018, first picture shows condition in July 2019 and the subsequent two pictures show recovery with a bit of gentle wiring to begin. Will further work on style this winter! Pinus Contorta ( Shore Pine)View attachment 305872View attachment 305873View attachment 305874
Update on my shore pine. Two years after collection the growth is strong, roots have firmed up the new planting angle and the tree is ready for styling this winter!
Significant change from overall condition when collected. Now to prune, wire, compact and increase density of foliage while reducing needle size back to normal small needles. It was necessary to improve the health in order to establish a rootball suitable for a bonsai pot. From this stage I can safely work the tree and continue to prepare the root ball for a bonsai pot over the next few years.

IMG_1180.jpeg

Top Bottom