Interior foliage on shimpaku turning yellow

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is a fairly long debate on this subjject in another thread. It boils down to the tool you use, the point at which you want to trim back and whether you want to remove one branch from a tuft, or aim at removing all the growing tips from the whole tuft. In any case.. Look it up on the forum, there is a long thread on it.
Yes, there is a long debate...

But, you NEVER want to remove all the growing tips from a tuft!

Again, it's NOT the tool. It's what you do.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Old interior foliage does this around this time of year. Probably nothing to worry about from what I see.
Old interior foliage that is shaded out does this. If it's not shaded out, it doesn't.

Here's a picture:

image.jpeg

Perfectly healthy shimp. The foliage is very dense. Boon is pulling back some foliage with his fingers to reveal the interior. And, indeed, there is a bit of yellowing of interior foliage. Because the foliage was so dense, the interior was "shaded out".

If the foliage had been thinned so that sunlight could pierce the canopy, no yellowing. My tree is that way. I keep it so that sun light can get inside. Interior gets light.

I do that so that the interior will stay alive and backbud. That way, I can periodically cut back to that interior growth and use that instead of the outer canopy just getting larger and larger year after year.

matthughes404

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I teach classes at Plant City Bonsai. Call Steve to get on his email list.

I'm really interested in getting a couple of black pines of my own, and would love to check out one of your classes. Do you have a "JBP for beginners" class? The ones I've seen on the Plant City Bonsai mailing list have all been about black pine repotting or ramification.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
JBP need work 3 times a year. I teach 3 classes a year, teaching the appropriate work needed for the season.

Just jump into the cycle whenever you want. The next one will be all about decandling. And a little needle pulling, and wiring. It's a good time to wire right after decandling.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Old interior foliage that is shaded out does this. If it's not shaded out, it doesn't.
Surely you're not suggesting old juniper foliage doesn't turn yellow and fall off? You've been doing this long enough to know that it does. It's happening in my garden at this very moment.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Surely you're not suggesting old juniper foliage doesn't turn yellow and fall off? You've been doing this long enough to know that it does. It's happening in my garden at this very moment.
No, it does.

I usually remove old juniper foliage before it reaches the yellowing stage.

But this juniper, doesn't have any yellowing occuring right now.

image.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
No, it does.

I usually remove old juniper foliage before it reaches the yellowing stage.

But this juniper, doesn't have any yellowing occuring right now.
Thank you. Yes, we usually do remove the old stuff before it turns yellow.
Obviously the OP hasn't done that, so that's why it's there and he's asking about it.
Since we are sharing...This one has no yellowing foliage either.
image.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But, you NEVER want to remove all the growing tips from a tuft!

Yes agree. Just thought I would post a summary of the whole debate, rather than leave it out and start the pinching/no pinching discussion here too. That it can cause trouble... that became obviousely clear on 2 trees I took to a workshop in 2014. One person showed me how (not?) to do this. He had been doing this since beore dinausours roamed the earth, so I trusted his judgement..

One is in the bin, the other has sprouted new branches, but the whole pant needs to be regrown.

matthughes404

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got around to trimming the yellowing/dying foliage this weekend, and it's looking much better! I didn't realize how many growing tips I had removed a few weeks back.

For a quick review of what I've learned, always leave at least one growing tip on a shimpaku branch, or else that branch will die back completely. Is that a correct rule for me (and other shimpaku novices) to follow in the future?

shimpaku-update.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to proper pruning techniques....

You should leave all the growing tips intact.....
As you are never really pruning the "tips".

Leave runners grow to keep the branch healthy. A healthy runner would be the "one" to keep intact.

But that leaves you a lot of research to do!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol

Adair and BVF "sharing" trees is the equivalent of bonsai epeening.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol

I had to look that up.

Uh, I don't think so. BVF and I are in agreement on this issue.

Boon, on Facebook, recently posted several trees that had been improperly "pinched" a couple years ago. It will take them another two years to recover from it.

matthughes404

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Leave runners grow to keep the branch healthy. A healthy runner would be the "one" to keep intact.

I know when you trim the terminal bud on other species, it stimulates back-budding on that branch. Is there any way to do that with a shimpaku?

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had to look that up.

Boon, on Facebook, recently posted several trees that had been improperly "pinched" a couple years ago. It will take them another two years to recover from it.

I don't mean the discussion about pinching. I know you agree. It was just funny to me.

"See this juniper....not pinched, no yellow"
*posts very nice trunked shimpaku*

"Yep I agree. I also have such a juniper, see?"
*also posts very nice trunked shimpaku*

The rest of us just sit here and drool

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol

I had to look that up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know when you trim the terminal bud on other species, it stimulates back-budding on that branch. Is there any way to do that with a shimpaku?

I believe there is a resource here on it.

I know there is one at bonsai4me.com.

It is a little harder to Identify a "terminal bud" on a juniper....
But it will work about the same way.

Just be sure to cut back into the pad..

But I really ain't qualified to answer that question from experience....

If these guys stop talking to each other...
Maybe you can get a better answer.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had to look that up.

You're repeating yourself Adair...lol
Check out my post below or above the first time you said this.

Top Bottom