Introduction.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Red neck red arms and fish belly white everywhere else My understanding is started as farmers or oil industry workers came to represent the blue collar working class who spent there time working and or playing hard in the sun compared to working In air conditioning and playing sitting in the shade height Caller upper class. Or as comedian Jeff fox worthy says a glorious lack of sophistication ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ got me pegged

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pre-colonialism...

Cultures were either "Hunters Gatherers" and used the SOLAR calendar...

or "Agricultural Societies" which used the LUNAR..

My point..

We should ALL be "Rednecks"

๐Ÿ˜‚

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected common needle juniper fairly difficult traditional to establish in a pot so hopefully feel optimistic have a fair bit of roots and lots of healthy foliage

Attachments

• 1380ACF5-69A6-44A7-BB37-1E059E4B892D.jpeg
    1380ACF5-69A6-44A7-BB37-1E059E4B892D.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 9
  • 5BFC5FB6-6654-4A7C-93AD-8DAE6265E77A.jpeg
    5BFC5FB6-6654-4A7C-93AD-8DAE6265E77A.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 27560A0F-AF07-4DB2-B798-AC0C18EC07C4.jpeg
    27560A0F-AF07-4DB2-B798-AC0C18EC07C4.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 937A2979-8719-4EF7-ADCC-CF53D295662F.jpeg
    937A2979-8719-4EF7-ADCC-CF53D295662F.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 10

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@HorseloverFat I think this is a better place for the hardiness conversation . Donโ€™t want my bro Cajun mad at me . Thanks for the complement but Iโ€™m no expert . Just think we sometimes donโ€™t consider all the variables. And like others only learn from mistakes . As I said have not read Heresy . Iโ€™m interested as according to what people say here his opinions are somewhat controversial . I am and always was a fan of Nick Lenz also controversial in the early days . What I was getting at about hardiness is a lot more than winter involved . I think root temp in pots other than winter is heavily overlooked . Can be great for us northerners pot warns up faster and earlier in the spring . Then the ground . . My failures with hemlock in the past has lead me to thoughts on positives and negatives of summer pot temp .

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@HorseloverFat I think this is a better place for the hardiness conversation . Donโ€™t want my bro Cajun mad at me . Thanks for the complement but Iโ€™m no expert . Just think we sometimes donโ€™t consider all the variables. And like others only learn from mistakes . As I said have not read Heresy . Iโ€™m interested as according to what people say here his opinions are somewhat controversial . I am and always was a fan of Nick Lenz also controversial in the early days . What I was getting at about hardiness is a lot more than winter involved . I think root temp in pots other than winter is heavily overlooked . Can be great for us northerners pot warns up faster and earlier in the spring . Then the ground . . My failures with hemlock in the past has lead me to thoughts on positives and negatives of summer pot temp .
This is further tangent-split by container material, and even more importantly; substrate composition.

Roots in "bonsai" pots with inorganic soil, experience temps at (or potentially, easily hotter in summer) around air temps.

Roots in plastic nursery containers, In inorganic soil have a buffer due to insulating properties as well as less heat retention on the container.

Not that one is BETTER than the other.. I just think it's important to know.

Discussion, shared knowledge and comparison of experience will make us all "experts"..... EVENTUALLY.

๐Ÿค“

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Red neck red arms and fish belly white everywhere else My understanding is started as farmers or oil industry workers came to represent the blue collar working class who spent there time working and or playing hard in the sun compared to working In air conditioning and playing sitting in the shade height Caller upper class. Or as comedian Jeff fox worthy says a glorious lack of sophistication ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ got me pegged
Actually...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Jeff Foxworthy: If you find yourself sympathetic to the views of orthodox Scottland.. You might be a Redneck!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
NICE!!!

That is FANTASTIC... I must've JUST studied the societal slang when it came to North America..

This information is FASCINATING.

Thank you, so much, for sharing.
I thought you'd appreciate that.
Not the video I learned it from, but much more succinct. I'm pretty sure it was one of the Simon Whistler channelson YouTube I watched. I highly recommend EVERYTHING he's part of, whether or not I know of it yet.

BTW, you should really find his one on the origin of the F-bomb. Hilariously fascinating. Don't watch with kids around. Or do. It is educational after all.

Top Bottom