Irritated by azalea

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two evergreen azalea cuttings. Thinn layer of bark came off during Winter, all around one of them and cracked on the other. As I understand azalea, surely thats terminal? But now theyre both actively growing and producing a small flower or two and shoots.
I have the Galle book, and he does say they can take a while to die, but its so irritating. Its hard to make out but I dont think theres any cambium or phloem on one of them. The other might have some

Has anyone else experienced this?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have one variety of azalea that sheds bark naturally. It doesn't seem to harm it. But bark split caused by winter is a well known way for azaleas to die during winter.
I have never observed it myself, though. It may be prevented by not fertilizing in September of later. The cause is the trunk/stem not being dormant while frost hits.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah...effazalea.

I determined a while ago you can't leave em in a nursery can over winter here, at least not without something like a mini blow dryer and mist bottle to tend them every minute.

You can barely search for a good specimen without ruining that rootcrown bark.

Nayzalea.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few dozen in nursery pots heeled in pine bark, no problems.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It would be nice to see some photos of the situation. Bark split and sun scald are phenomena that both occur to azaleas. Yet this also occurs to other trees, even conifers, if the conditions are right. You just gotta do some hiking in the forests to observe it.

As far as possible damage control measures to this issue, it usually takes a couple months to see the extent of the damage. There are a number of remedies described in the literature. The one I see most often from azalea buffs is melted paraffin on the cracks. For our purposes cut paste or parafilm would do the trick after doing necessary pruning, if that is even possible.

cheers
DSD sends

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be nice to see some photos of the situation.
Alright, alright
Its a deep pot so not the best pics though
All of the new growth has appeared after the damage and is still going
cuttingcrackedshade.jpgcuttingcrackedsun.jpgcuttingfullcircleshade.jpgcuttingfullcirclesun.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Theyve grown a lot and were wired and repotted a couple months ago, but now theyre being weird again.
Leaves curling?

izumisick1.jpg

izumisick2.jpg

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
May just be winter and dormancy plus them being cuttings. You can't really expect a flawless look.

I am actually amazed at how the Japanese can get their satsuki bonsai to look during the autumn shows. Pretty sure that's not natural at all and they use all the tricks & greenhouses.

Top Bottom