Is diatomaceous earth cancerous?? Please help freaking out

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
This is the floordry stuff many have recommended. My bonsai is indoor and I just saw comments on another site saying how industrial DE (which I'm assuming this is) is highly toxic. I am a severe asthmatic and the tree is in my livingroom, has been planted in this stuff for a couple weeks ---- is it safe???? I'm terrified

The dust from dried soil components of all kinds- DE, turface, perlite, sphagnum... Have various degrees of danger associated with them if sifted/ kicked up in a tight area with limited ventilation.

Sitting in a Bonsai pot in your living room, it should be completely harmless. Just don't eat it, ok? ;)

Oh hell! I'm so screwed!
Really though,have you had an asthma attack since you've been around the tree!

The stuff that would be toxic to breath in is the powder form that you would buy as a pest control or for pool filtration.

The stuff that would be toxic to breath in is the powder form that you would buy as a pest control or for pool filtration.
its definitely not powder but it's not "food grade" either

This is NOT an issue for the normal end user. The Lung problems potentially related to diatomaceous earth and othe silica containing materials (including plain old sand) are known as silicosis. If you research it, you will find that it is an occupational disease - miners, factory workers, and others with long term chronic exposure to fine crystalline silica dust.

The material isn't so much toxic as it is physically irritating to the lungs, and the irritation can lead to an immune response. Long term exposure may cause scar tissue and fibrous masses to build up in the lungs and diminish capacity, but again, causal exposure is a non-issue.

One time, the pool lady was over doing her regular maintenance and I saw a white powder over by the hot tub. Thought she was about make a line up for us and took the liberty of taking a bump. Joke was on me, it was pool filter DE! True story, coke is better in Miami than Palm Bay.

They sell the dust for everything now....
It's a "in" thing for everything from killing bugs to _________.

You CAN rinse the dust out if you can let it dry before use.

I guess you could sift it with water too.

If you are not inhaling it on purpose cuz it looks cool.....you should be ok!

Sorce

first time you watered the tree, most of the fine dust was washed out.

DE is not TOXIC, that is incorrect use of the word toxic. A sensational exaggeration. DE dust poses an OCCUPATIONAL inhalation hazard with chronic exposure. Months and years of daily exposure would be necessary to cause health problems like silicosis. Casual, occasional exposure is not harmful.

You do have asthma, consult your physician, if he requires you to wear a dust mask while handling wheat flour when baking cakes, then you should wear a dust mask working with DE. *note, professional bakers in industrial factory-kitchen settings do indeed wear dust masks. There is a big difference between the dust from 2 cups of flour for a small batch, and the dust from 2 tons of flour for a batch of Wonderbread.

Back
Top Bottom