Where to purchase Diatomaceous earth...large particles

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coincidently, I'm repotting today and here is some of the good stuff I bought from a member here a couple years ago. Looks good as new and will reuse.1649355457389.jpeg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was 2018 from Milehigh. Who seems not to be a member any longer. Good stuff and would buy more. That was frozen and thawed thru 3 winters.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't crush it. I buy if from the brick factory. They crush the defective bricks and sell. I use it in the patio.
View attachment 429005
View attachment 429006
View attachment 429007
Oh and yes I sift it to desired size. This is 1/8" and 1/4"View attachment 429008

Oh and yes I sift it. This is 1/8 and 1/4 inch
And the weight is a bonus in many cases with plastic training pots and bushy trees setting around the pond. But a back breaker in the big pots for sure.
That crushed brick looks great in your patio.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That crushed brick looks great in your patio.
Thank you. It was my thought for contrast with the flagstone which also matches the roof and house trim. Soon to match my benches and porch if it ever dries out and warms up so I can stain them. Oh and the Scarlett and Gray are Ohio State colors. LOL
No, too bad, he was a nice guy.
I thought so. Nice posts and a pleasure to buy from anyway. Worked hard to make that deal happen w/Axis? sold it all then... dunno
I was very happy w/the product and price. Reaffirmed when repotting some of it today.

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a Canadian I don’t see Napa here . As a ford master tech . I have used a bit of oil absorbent . The most common products are DE and fullers earth .for bonsai I use DE fullers earth looks almost identical it is heavier enough dry to notice it picking up a bag . It is also a more consistent colour like the lightest colour of DE and all the fuller is the same colour . I quit bonsai for 10 years restarted 2 years ago . As winter just ended and trees un thawed . My suspicion was proved correct . I have 2 trees the absorbent has turned to mud . 😡😡😡 I believe the culprit is Covid most likely supply inconsistency forced bags of DE to be filled with fuller earth . I don’t think there is bad batches of DE I never had a concern before . I recommend soak and freeze a sample as a test . Fuller turns to mud .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
People here tried crushed brick in the past . Source is no longer around . So only larger size avail 🤷‍♂️ . I never used it and know nobody that has used it . And had a problem . There is a general belief it absorbs and retains calcium from hard water . And possible other chemicals . This I believe comes from . Landscape garden use . Some say it will get a chalk white look about it after time . Believing this is the salt build up . I have no personal knowledge of this . Good or bad I would think any thing we use that retains water would act the same . For what it’s worth I use crushed granite . Very hard and stable . I mix DE in for water retention . For me granite is easy to get heavy which is good and bad . Has a higher ability to retain heat . Warms quicker . In zone 4 this can be advantageous . I absolutely do not reuse bonsai compost in bonsai . It all goes into the garden . The one exception is common needle juniper . Grown in pure granite

Attachments

• F376914C-98A9-458F-9A3F-C90ACA997342.jpeg
    F376914C-98A9-458F-9A3F-C90ACA997342.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom