Is there a "bad" Akadama being sold? Or is it a scam?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Up to last year, Akadama was impossible to get in Brazil, as importing soil was forbidden.
This year the law was revised and immediately some bonsai vendors had Akadama in two sizes (big/small) being sold in 14 litres bags.
All bags from all vendors looked the same; all vendors were selling the same brand.
So I ordered two bags, one of each size, to try them.
They arrived and looked like Akadama, the color (when dry or wet) was right, so I tried some in my mix, instead of the crushed bricks I am used to, and reppoted some broad leaves and pines.
To my big surprise after a week of regular watering, one of the pines was not draining at all; I inserted a finger into the soil to check and the Akadama part of the mix had turned into brown mud.
On checking, all of the trees with this mix were not draining.
I had to do an emergency repot to all plants which were using the product, and immediately trashed both bags.
Well, after asking around it seems the same product was offered in Brazil many years ago, with disastrous results to many bonsai growers.
Now reading Michael Hagedorn's book "Bonsai Heresy" I found out that the same occurred some years ago in the USA.
So I am feeling frustrated and angry as this is close to a scam. Is it possible to call any reddish clay "Akadama" even it not being the product one expects to get?
Is there good and bad Akadama being sold all around? HOW to differentiate between them?

Below is a picture of the Akadama being offered by the vendors here:

Screenshot_20201010-154123_Chrome.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To my big surprise after a week of regular watering, one of the pines was not draining at all; I inserted a finger into the soil to check and the Akadama part of the mix had turned into brown mud.

Akadama is a baked clay product. Depending on the heat and the length of the baking, the finished product will be harder or softer. I don't know every type of akadama product out there, but at least in SoCal they used to sell "soft" and "hard" product of different piece sizes. All akadama will break down sooner or later, but in my opinion the soft akadama breaks down as fast as turface. I will only buy the hard stuff, and even then it is the component that breaks down, versus pumice or lava which doesn't show much deterioration, if any.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry to see you have this experience. I must say.. I have had much the same experience, where within a year it was all mush. Reason for me to not include it in my pots.

Same in Maine, probably from freeze/thaw. I've only used it in a pre-mixed from SuperFly Bonsai.

I do have a bag of "hard" that I haven't tried yet. I have stuck to mostly DE/pumice at 50/50 (can't find lava locally).

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had a year where I got some "bad" akadama, it was full of dust, and way too soft. I only use hard akadama, and never had problems with it, other than the one year. I use the bag with the Walter Pall tree on the front.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I had a year where I got some "bad" akadama, it was full of dust, and way too soft. I only use hard akadama, and never had problems with it, other than the one year. I use the bag with the Walter Pall tree on the front.
That seems to be the problem.
Soft Akadama.
Which leads me to think, WHY making the effort to import such a specific product and...
Importing the bad one?
Price and profit, most probably.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Which leads me to think, WHY making the effort to import such a specific product and...
Importing the bad one?

It's probably not used that much in Japan, so it's likely more available and cheaper.

You are merely going through the same thing we went through here for 10 years which is just tailing off.

I use the bag with the Walter Pall tree on the front.
Lol! For real!?

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's probably not used that much in Japan, so it's likely more available and cheaper.

You are merely going through the same thing we went through here for 10 years which is just tailing off.

Lol! For real!?

Sorce
It’s a mined, natural product. The quality can vary depending on which mine it came from. In Japan it is both plentiful and cheap. It’s used for everything from bonsai to houseplants.

The best mines were ruined by the tsunami that also destroyed those nuclear reactors. For a couple of years, the only akadama available was of lower quality. (At least, that’s what we were getting here in the US.)

The situation has improved since then, and higher quality akadama is available. Poor quality (for bonsai) akadama is still around, too. It’s probably better suited for houseplants than bonsai.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It is unfortunate, @sorce .
I should have known better, the prices were reasonable, if they were outrageous then it would be the good stuff.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The best mines were ruined by the tsunami that also destroyed those nuclear reactors. For a couple of years, the only akadama available was of lower quality...
It’s probably better suited for houseplants than bonsai.
Yes.
Lower quality, but still Akadama.
As I unfortunately have discovered, not suitable for bonsai at all.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
A bit strange indeed!
He's just posted it here:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Even hard akadama, which I believe is what I have, I used mixed 1/3 with pumice and 1/3 lava scoria, (and a touch of spaghnum and vermicelli compost). I think at that rate the structure is held up even if the akadama decomposes. Obviously if it is turning to mush immediately, you may be right it is a quality issue,

Top Bottom