JAPAN TRIP PART 2 [SHUNKA-EN]

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After a busy and productive day 1 at Omiya Bonsai Village (which can be seen here: http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/japan-trip-part-1-omiya-bonsai-village.21274/), I was more than ready for day 2! On that day, we were to visit Shunka-en bonsai garden and museum owned by world renowned master Kunio Kobayashi. This is another garden that does not need any introduction. While the ones I visited the previous day were beautiful and even amazing, this garden was an experience that should not be missed by anyone traveling to Japan. Shunka-en is presumably one of the top five destinations in Japan!

On a beautiful sunny morning we took our tour bus to the outskirts of Tokyo, where Shunka-en is located. As soon as we arrived, Jin Yasufumi, an English speaking apprentice, took us inside the museum. Here, he showed us and explained the fifteen different and beautiful tokonoma that were on display. The craftsmanship and level of aesthetics used in all of the interiors was incredible. Very high quality woods and materials were used and I was told not a single nail was hammered in the entire place! Afterwards, we went outside to view the magnificent bonsai collection comprised of Japanese black pines, satsuki azaleas, a newly added area dedicated to Japanese maples and many other species throughout. It was quite difficult for me to absorb all that was around me. You literally do not know where to look, specially for first time visitors like me!

Mr. Kobayashi is a friendly and charismatic man full of passion for his craft. This is immediately obvious as you first enter. Apparently, he is also very used to having large groups visiting his garden. He told us that recently, he had a group of 700 people at his place all at once! He currently has, and welcomes, apprentices from all over the world and is committed to spreading Japanese culture, specially the art of bonsai, throughout the world.

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

As if the garden did not have enough trees as it is, there was a roof terrace with yet more incredible bonsai!

On my way up to the terrace, I spotted an interesting area in a secluded corner of the garden. It was a memorial to the dead (or dying). It happens even to the best of us!

The roof terrace offered an additional collection of smaller, but equally impressive trees. From this spot, you had a spectacular bird's eye view of the entire garden and beyond.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Before leaving, we gathered together in one of the open rooms that overlooked the garden and were treated to some traditional Japanese tea and sweets. I also purchased Mr. Kobayashi's book that offers a comprehensive look at his garden and museum. I took the opportunity to have him sign it for me. Afterwards, he and I posed together for a quick photo with the Shunka-en wooden sign behind us.

Photo courtesy of Bill Valavanis

With an American flag and all, Mr. Kobayashi and gang (not all pictured here) lined up outside and bid us farewell as warmly as when we first arrived.

Photo courtesy of Bill Valavanis

A magical place that will forever stay with me! I hope you enjoyed it. Once again a big thank you to Bill and Kora for making this visit possible for me. Please stay-tuned for the DAY 3: TAIKAN-TEN in KYOTO thread!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
even a 1/10th of that in my yard is a dream come true!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see what you mean by so much to look at.
How do you even decide what you want to take photos of?
Simply stunning.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must have an eye for photography. I've seen many pictures from many trips to this place, but this is the first time I felt like I was actually there, wandering around and seeing it in person. Amazing job, thanks so much for doing this.

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes indeed a very nice Christmas from Sergio to all of us. Thank you for the documentation. I don't know what it must actually be like to be there, but at least the pictures bring me closer! Must be somewhat overwhelming.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderful pictures, Sergio. Thanks for finding a way to capture the essence of this great garden. The persimmon trees were refreshing.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You must have an eye for photography. I've seen many pictures from many trips to this place, but this is the first time I felt like I was actually there, wandering around and seeing it in person. Amazing job, thanks so much for doing this.

Chris

Thanks Chris for your comment. No doubt this was a challenge since it is such a well documented place. I tried to show the trees as well as some of the more seemingly trivial details in and around the garden which can tell us so much about it and the man behind it. It makes me happy that you experinced what I tried to achieve. Thank you!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes indeed a very nice Christmas from Sergio to all of us. Thank you for the documentation. I don't know what it must actually be like to be there, but at least the pictures bring me closer! Must be somewhat overwhelming.

It truly was Judy! Julian Adams warned me to take heart medication right before we went in. He was not kidding! WOW!! Very difficult to accurately portray through photos but at least this may help in getting an idea of the experience.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Mach,

Thank you for taking the time to chronicle both days of your visit and sharing the beauty of these gardens. Already looking forward to seeing day 3.

-Jeff

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.....I been waiting for day 2!

Now......

Very much appreciate your time!

Sorce

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought one of the very interesting features of your photo essay was the contrast between the simplicity and isolation of the single trees in the tokonamas (?) and the teeming chaos of the trees on the benches. It's likely that many of the trees on the benches were of high enough quality to be in the solo displays, but the vision necessary to make a selection from the benches makes Mr. Kobayashi a unique individual.

Top Bottom