Japanese maple from my growing bed

I didnt know Mach had anywhere not pristine enough in his garden for a grow bed! Was this at the in-laws?

Ha! It is a small one nearby the garden. Last year I built a larger raised bed to start growing air layered maples for bonsai. These grow beds are a pain since I cannot stand weeds on them. But I get them and don't always have the time to take care of them.

Ha! It is a small one nearby the garden. Last year I built a larger raised bed to start growing air layered maples for bonsai. These grow beds are a pain since I cannot stand weeds on them. But I get them and don't always have the time to take care of them.

need an apprentice ? :cool: I'm great at pulling weeds!

there is one of his old trees that has a thread about it on facebook for sale.

@drew33998 i'm working on it! i'm going to propose 10 years of full time hard labour in exchange for #5, without the Chinese pot.

what would you propose? lol let's get the offers going!

This is a Japanese maple that's been growing for several years in my growing bed. It started as a small tree and I grew it specifically to make a shohin out of it. Occasionally I have taken it out and worked the roots as well as chopping it back and letting it grow out all over again. This year I decided to dig it out and start to refine it and build a small tree from this material. It now has a trunk of 3" with a pretty decent spreading nebari that I will keep fine tuning and improving.

Below are pics of just before I dug it out of the growing bed.

Just as it was pulled out of the ground.

The tree was roughly 5' tall.

Roots being washed and cut back. I also pruned it back to create an initial structure keeping only the fine, smaller growth.

And finally potted into a wooden training box. When I get a chance I will do some wiring and let it grow all season long. Next year I will asses what I have and begin the process of more careful branch selection and refinement.

Large chop at the back is almost completely healed.

Nice root work, great basic structure. Keeping so many little branches will continue to help with the healing going forward. Well done.
PS: i love starting at the beginning of threads to see the foundation.

Drew I sold this tree last year. It was doing very well.
what a shame, would have loved to see an update. is the buyer on this site? if you are please post it for us.

Back
Top Bottom