Japanese maple from my growing bed

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great base on this one, Mach. I can easily see it becoming your drawing. I'm surprised at the size of the box that you put it in. I guess you're going to need some massive growth to smooth the transition in the branches?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great base on this one, Mach. I can easily see it becoming your drawing. I'm surprised at the size of the box that you put it in. I guess you're going to need some massive growth to smooth the transition in the branches?

KM yes I do need to promote lots of growth again but honestly I think I could have gotten by using a smaller box. I just happened to have this one available so I used it. :)

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
hey mach shes a bute! what club have you rejoined?
painter
Bergen Bonsai Society. Follow our Facebook page /BergenBonsai and Twitter @BergenBonsai. If you're in Northern NJ or Rockland County NY, come join us. Next mtg is this Sunday, April 3rd at 9:45am - Closter Nature Ctr. Closter, NJ. Guest Peter Kenie will be leading a hands on grafting workshop.
www.bergenbonsai.com

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
MACH,

Very nice! I thought of you when I worked on a few Japanese Maples last week in Michael's yard. There are several Japanese Maple projects that sit in the back of the yard that he is developing.

Interesting thing I noticed, we sterilized every big cut we made on the trees before sealing them with cut paste. And the cut paste we use is a new product to me, which happens to be sold on Jonas' new webstore https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/supplies/products/liquid-cut-sealer . Michael said it has something in it (I can't specifically remember what) that helps close wounds faster.

Anyway, love your posts! Thanks for sharing as always!

Cheers!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mach, would you mind posting a photo of your growing beds please? Are they raised, and do you use dirt or do you use bonsai soil?

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I usually attend Great Swamp Bonsai the second tuesdays of the month at the morris arboretum but this semester I have class on tuesdays.
and my schedule is pretty full. and i hope to rejoin soon
they usually do their annual show in july
p

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
MACH,

Very nice! I thought of you when I worked on a few Japanese Maples last week in Michael's yard. There are several Japanese Maple projects that sit in the back of the yard that he is developing.

Interesting thing I noticed, we sterilized every big cut we made on the trees before sealing them with cut paste. And the cut paste we use is a new product to me, which happens to be sold on Jonas' new webstore https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/supplies/products/liquid-cut-sealer . Michael said it has something in it (I can't specifically remember what) that helps close wounds faster.

Anyway, love your posts! Thanks for sharing as always!

Cheers!

Thanks Andrew! If you can please expand on the treatment of cuts. Always up for new things! Thanks for sharing back with us.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach, would you mind posting a photo of your growing beds please? Are they raised, and do you use dirt or do you use bonsai soil?

Joe I can certainly share. I have one that I just put together last year that's raised and another one that's not. Nothing especial as far as soil. Just loose, peat based soil with a layer of mulch on top. Basically standard garden soil. I think the key has been that the soil drains fast and is well aerated since I work it periodically with a small garden fork. Maples have done quite well here. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I usually attend Great Swamp Bonsai the second tuesdays of the month at the morris arboretum but this semester I have class on tuesdays.
and my schedule is pretty full. and i hope to rejoin soon
they usually do their annual show in july
p

Great Swamp is a good club. If I did not have my ties to Bergen I would have probably joined GS. Is also a lot closer to me.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe I can certainly share. I have one that I just put together last year that's raised and another one that's not. Nothing especial as far as soil. Just loose, peat based soil with a layer of mulch on top. Basically standard garden soil. I think the key has been that the soil drains fast and is well aerated since I work it periodically with a small garden fork. Maples have done quite well here. I will post a pic when I get a chance.
Awesome, thanks!

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that some?
Thanks Andrew! If you can please expand on the treatment of cuts. Always up for new things! Thanks for sharing back with us.

Sure! When we were working on some Japanese Maples that were in training, we made some big cuts on them (the size of my pinky or larger). After we made the cut, we carved them until they were smooth. Then, we sterilized by spraying (or painting if the tree was leafed out) alcohol onto the cut to prevent anything from being exposed to the tree (I can't remember specifically if we did this to prevent infection, disease, fungus, or all three). After that we applied the cut paste ( https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/supplies/products/liquid-cut-sealer ) over the sterilized cut.

I should also make note that we cleaned and disinfected/sterilized every tool after use before using again on any other tree or plant in the yard. Portland is an area that struggles with fungus, but I suspect this would be a good practice for anyone anywhere.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew! I do know that maples are susceptible to the bacteria pseudomonas syringae which looks a lot like verticillium wilt but not necessarily deadly. Michael makes mention of this in his blog. Untreated cuts can be the entry point for this bacteria specially in cold, wet weather. I myself have had two cases of this in which fortunately I was able to overcome the disease. Other than dressing the wounds I have never done much else to them. I will probably start sterilizing them as a further preventative. And certainly it is also always good practice to do the same with your tools.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like you potted this in 100% akadama, correct? Did it work out well for you?

I planted a few things in pure akadama as well this year, and I am not happy with the results. For me, it stayed too wet and turned a little 'muddy'. Some trees even had a black -goop is the only word I can think of- form on the surface!! I only had this problem with trees in pure akadama.

Maybe I'm using the wrong brand?

Top Bottom