Japanese Maple Pre-bonsai Training Advice

minibrrdie

Seed
Reaction score
Purchased this Japanese Maple as a pre-bonsai from a last spring. Last week did a few clippings off some branches that had long internodes from last season. Wondering what the community thought about any additional work that needed to be done before it really starts budding out more.
I'm fairly new, so I appreciate all the help in advance!

MaplePreBonsai.jpg

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks to me like you need to just let grow for a few years at this point without any real clipping. You could start working on your nebari next year with some root grafts.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Everything depends on the style and shape you want to grow this tree on. If you want to thicken the trunk and have a smoother transition between the main trunk the the new branches you can let it grow. But you could also chop off the right branch after one or two internodes to start some ramification. Same for the left branch after one internode. Start thinking about which shape you want ;-)

minibrrdie

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for both your replies! I guess I keep wavering between both your strategies. I have a hard time picturing what is possible. Can anyone give me an idea what is usually done with a chopped trunk look like this? I've seen where they take it down to smooth out the transition, but my thought it is done when the tree is older?

minibrrdie

Seed
Reaction score
Regardless, there really is too far an internode on the left branch, huh?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Regardless, there really is too far an internode on the left branch, huh?

Hi minibrrdie,
So as others have mentioned you have a number of choices to go forward with this starter tree.
I am no Bonsai expert, so my comments can be enjoyed with a grain of salt.
1. You can choose whether to put in ground or large pot for a “no pruning” for 3-5 years to bulk up the trunk, then chop for a bigger trunked start.
Or if you choose to go the slower path, only prune (cut back) growth when it has fully extended (eg finished its growth spurt). You won’t build much trunk girth but a slender tree can be as beautiful.
2. When building trunk sections you need to avoid “bar branches” at all costs. Eg. One branch at each junction - google bar branching etc.
Also, left, right , and back branches to give the tree a 3D look.
3. Read everything, research this site as there is a huge number of threads etc, discussing branch growing, and the resources section on this site also is a great place to learn the “how to’s”.

What I have found quite useful is the google image of trees that interest you. Also to stop you from trimming this maple too much, get yourself 10 plus starter (nursery stock) trees to learn all the pruning, watering correctly, and then styling options.
Many other comments I could pass on, but I will stop there for fear of the “overload” in information.
Hope that all helps you go forward, and please update this thread as it develops as others with way more bonsai experience will help also.
Charles

Top Bottom