JBP asking price question?

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well the question is simple. I want to sell this pine but would $1600 Ono be to much for this pine it is old and has very nice branching. It is a cork bark yume-nishiki variety about 14" and about 3.5+" base. Not selling on here asking if that price is right for it. Anything you want to ask message me or email me, jsantana41483@gmail.com. Thank you guys for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 211

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Nice pine! You might want to provide a story. It doesn't really matter what the story is but people get more intrigued if there is history. I haven't shopped in this price range so can't help you with pricing.
Ian

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Your right the back story isn't much as this pine got here from Japan 5 years ago. Sat waiting to be released from the 3 year wait and was on a bench for 2 years at a friends back yard in central Florida. It was made and grown in Japan and you can tell whoever created this is a master pines man. The branching is exceptional. I know I have seen pines for 1k which are complete crap next to this guy.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What is exceptional about the branching?
Unsightly reverse taper in the tachiagari
No nebari to speak of.
Who is this "master pines man"?

You say you're not selling here, but that sure sounded like a pitch to me.

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Where is the reverse taper? I think you might not know anything about corkers... First of all are you even on the financial level to purchase it? Why bother? Now there is nebari but it is under a little soil. I also said about the branching as they are all placed well and where they should be all with tight compact shoots close to the trunk. I bet this tree would be the center piece of your collection but you can't afford it so you talk bad about it.lol. This is why I never do forums because of people like you. Photoshop the area where there is reverse taper and if your referring to the bottom then I know you know nothing of corkers because they are a graft. Do you know what that means??? Look at pretty much and old cork bark tree and the bottoms are all the same. Please next time know what your saying before making yourself look stupid. Thank you and for any serious questions just ask. I will post a old cork bark from Japan that was shown and you can talk about that one as well.hahaha

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thank y
Thats a reasonable price judging from what I can see in the photos.
thank you for your reply I went ahead put it up in the for sale. This tree can be shown very soon and in person this tree is very nice.

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like my branching better and I guess they have reverse taper as well. Like I said please know what you are saying before you say it next time. On your ideals 90% of cork barks have reverse taper I guess. Lol anyways I will not talk to you again you just got a rise out of me. Ok its in the tree sales part already and thanks for any

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 186

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Now now BP jon, there is no need to make a ass of yourself..

I agree on the reverse taper, most corkers you see have this, i dont like it personally but yours is not too bad.

But it sounds like you know it all and seeing as its at your friends place, you probably know how mich it costed before, so wouldnt about a same price as that be reasonable? If you want sell it for a high price why not make sure the buyer can see all aspects so also the nebari?

Grtz

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I could take the money out of the bank and buy this tree several times over if I really wanted it that bad. As it happens, I dont really like corkers. Even if I did and this was the last one in the world, the arrogant attitude displayed by the seller would be a deal breaker only because I dont like dealing with that kind of person. Being from the NY metro area where there are lots of people with attitude, thats saying alot.

Last edited:

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you ask for honest feedback, be ready to receive it. You don't have to agree with it, but don't bite the head off of the messenger of the feedback that you solicited. Obviously, you like this tree and took the feedback a little personally. If you think that someone is wrong, you can respectfully disagree without attacking their knowledge of bonsai in general and compromising your own credibility by flying off the handle.

A little restraint goes a long way around here.

Your last picture demonstrates the nebari better which looks pretty stellar to me. (the original pictures did not make this as clear which is probably what solicited the comment). This type of pine is not my personal cup of tea but I'm sure someone would love to take it off your hands for your current asking price. Seems fair.

Best of luck on the sale.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are the last two pictures the same tree?

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You guys are right but the fact is i felt he went about critiquing the wrong way. No the last two pics are of other corkers with reverse taper and the fact is almost every one I have seen has this. I am not attached to the tree at all I just felt he was an ass with how he wrote his comments that's all. I would have written it different because in every day life you already encounter jerks I would have thought to get better people on here. I also am not a corker fan and that's why I am selling the tree over buying it myself. Anyways I asked to answer what you thought about pricing not say stuff like what master pines man? Also when he mentioned reverse taper to me he sounded ignorant as almost every corker has this. If anyone took offense I am sorry but I stand by what I am saying that he went about it completely wrong.

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I just reread it and I went a little over board. Sorry I should have just said he could have written it different. I just have had a short fuse lately. I apologize

Reactions: mat

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you're really looking to sell this and get as much for it as you can, you must expose the nebari that you say is buried. I would never buy a tree like this if it didn't have a good nebari. In fact I wouldn't buy any expensive tree if it's nebari wasn't stellar.

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You are right I just don't have any at the moment but I think I might be sold either way but if it doesn't I will get nebari pics. Thanks

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Corkers like this often don't have good nebari. The ones that do are really special.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um... aren't these trees grown for their bark? Branching and nebari are secondary considerations right?
Baby got bark!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, they are. Since they usually don't have good nebari, they don't make good bonsai. They're kind of a novelty tree. However, every once in a while, one has a really good graft, or something, and it does have good nebari. I've seen a few. But they are rare.

The bark is extremely fragile. Knocks off easily. I've seen some trees "protected" by having thin wires loosely wrapped around the tree to hold the bark in place. Not trying to bend the branches, just hold the bark on.

Once the bark starts growing, you can't wire branches. The bark will pop off if you try to bend the branch.

They're weak, spend their energy growing bark instead of growing. So only decandle every other year.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are some gnarly looking buggers.

Top Bottom