Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently found what I believe is a red cedar aka eastern juniper in the woods in florida and I dug it out because it had nice features. I should’ve done more research on juniper before I drastically pruned it, because it turns out that juniper does not back bud on branches if foliage is completely cut off. There are two branches on the tree that I cut back hard, removing all the foliage. I had planned to keep these branches. When I claw the bark, the branches are still alive. Is there any possible way to get this species to back bud on bare branches?? Thanks in advance.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might get some crotch growth.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is there any possible way to get this species to back bud on bare branches??
Luck is a major factor in your case. Not much you can do about it right now except keeping it healthy and growing.
Sunlight exposure can help activate dormant buds, but it can also desiccate the bare branch, so that's a double edged sword.
If possible, I'd close the wounds so that sap doesn't seep out and those bare branches have a more or less closed system. This lowers the chances of the tree dropping them.
I have a triple trunk juniper with two bare trunks, that are still alive after three years without foliage. No foliar growth whatsoever, but underneath the bark they're still green. So I guess it can take a while for bare stuff to die completely, but on the other hand I have had junipers drop healthy live branches for no apparent reason.
Too late in the year for grafting too.. So luck and health, that's what I'd go for if I were you.

Top Bottom