Just purchased Semi Cascade Shinpaku

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah, just don't want to do too much to the tree at once.
I have actually done additional thinning after that photo.
Here is how shaggy it was when I purchased it:
image.jpg

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
just found the tag for this plant, and had forgotten that it said Kishu-Shimpaku. After doing some research, i am confused. as i understand it, there would be 3 common varieties. itoigawa, kishu, and shimpaku. so how can i be both? can someone set it straight for me? :confused:

according to the link below, mine seems to resemble most the kishu, and maybe shimpaku..
http://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/more-on-differences-among-itoigawa-kishu-and-shimpaku-junipers/

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of those are shimpaku, itoigawa and kishu are varieties of the standard shimpaku.

Mike Westervelt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice grab, I've had my eye on that one for years, Tsugawa's right?
Originally came from Tak Yamaura at Japan Bonsai in BC about 10years ago.

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice grab, I've had my eye on that one for years, Tsugawa's right?
Originally came from Tak Yamaura at Japan Bonsai in BC about 10years ago.

yeah thats what i heard from gregr at tsugawa. prior to that i guess it was in japan. would love to find out the whole history on this tree. the folks at japan bonsai have not responded to my email inquiry..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Funny... I thought I knew that tree from Tsugawa's also. I doubt it was a Japanese import though. It's likely from Tak's nursery. It's certainly his style/work. I have some trees started from him also.

Great place to visit if you get a chance. :)

Kindly,

Victrinia

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
maybe its just me, but this tree seems to be getting more and more yellow. its by far the deepest pot of all my trees, and I even bought a water meter because im having a hard time gauging. seems to stay much wetter right in the middle, under the trunk.. we had a lot of rain early on since I bought it, but ive tried to not over water it on sunny days.
im starting to get very concerned.. I did attempt to pull it from its pot one day, but it wouldn't budge. I gave up because I didn't have time that day.
I know its normal for these to have old foliage die off, but this is getting ridiculous.
the tree hasn't shown much sign of new growth since I bought it..
im really about to unload it before I kill it! never had this problem with my procumbens.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
maybe its just me, but this tree seems to be getting more and more yellow. its by far the deepest pot of all my trees, and I even bought a water meter because im having a hard time gauging. seems to stay much wetter right in the middle, under the trunk.. we had a lot of rain early on since I bought it, but ive tried to not over water it on sunny days.
im starting to get very concerned.. I did attempt to pull it from its pot one day, but it wouldn't budge. I gave up because I didn't have time that day.
I know its normal for these to have old foliage die off, but this is getting ridiculous.
the tree hasn't shown much sign of new growth since I bought it..
im really about to unload it before I kill it! never had this problem with my procumbens.

Shimpaku shed in the beginning of summer. After, the flush of new growth will come. The shedding is usually yellowing tips here and there through out the tree. Some may get a little tan and yellow. However, like you said, it could also be from over watering. Also, scale will turn the tree a pale color.

I am also having a problem with a couple of my junipers. They are turning yellow in spots. I am not going to worry about it that much until summer is in full swing. Then I will see if the tree starts growing like crazy.

Also, seeing as how conifers take a while to show stress, it might be something that happened like a month ago. You have not had this tree for long, correct?

Any pics?

Last edited:

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
The massive trunk on that Green JM on the left is ridiculous......landscape-dori?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Their feeding schedule at the nursery probably also included things like iron chelate which increases the green in the foliage. Can't ask for a pretty penny if it doesn't look pretty. :) You can get some yourself and add it to your feeding schedule also. :)

V

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
Their feeding schedule at the nursery probably also included things like iron chelate which increases the green in the foliage. Can't ask for a pretty penny if it doesn't look pretty. :) You can get some yourself and add it to your feeding schedule also. :)

V

hmmm.. thank you victrinia :D

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
the tree is no longer yellowing any needles.. seems to be thriving now :eek:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn Gionk, that maple on the left looks like a tree I used to play on as a child. It had branches on the left like that you could jump up to and climb up that side to a hollow at the the where a major limb had been busted out that I could set in as long as I did not disturb the bees that lived in the crack down the front side where another smaller branch was missing. That is a beautiful tree ! Too my eyes, its the most realistic looking example of a Bonsai in both scale and beauty. I would call it ruggedly handsome. How long have you had that tree, and did you create the dead area or was it from damage or die off ?

ed

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
Purchased last year in spring. I created the deadwood on the maple. It also suffered last summer as a result, and had some trunk die off last winter due to some leaves and stuff that piled up too high around the base. lessons learned.. The tree is thriving this year. It really has hardly any big branches, and I am working on getting some. I've done a couple successful approach grafts on it. I really need to start a thread on that tree alone.. Check out my galleries

Last edited:
Top Bottom