Kashima time!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got some new trees today, among them is this kashima. I think there is a lot of potential here. Plan of attack for now is to just prune off the dead looking shoots to thin out, fert and get it nice and healthy. Had good roots growing out of the pot and into the ground. Repot next spring and figure out which branches to keep and which to remove at that time. Sound like a good plan?

Thoughts/advice comments appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 720
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 644
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 638
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 622

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice tree. Looks like a maple, which is a good thing, because Google and Kashima (as a plant of any kind) could not get together. Kashima was a WWII battleship, a sports team, a now-absorbed town, and a few other things -- none of them living that I could find.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good material NY! Next year I would place it in a smaller pot or shallow box. When you repot be sure to look carefully at the nebari and prune all roots growing down and leave all the ones growing laterally. This is all of course given that the tree is healthy.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree.

With that said I would like to recommend: (before they get posted)

DO NOT:

..take cuttings
..chop it
..make three layers
..do root grafts
..prune excessivly

A light trimming and a new pot when its appropriate will allow this tree to be admired right then.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree.

With that said I would like to recommend: (before they get posted)

DO NOT:

..take cuttings
..chop it
..make three layers
..do root grafts
..prune excessivly

A light trimming and a new pot when its appropriate will allow this tree to be admired right then.

Thanks Al, no intentions on the first four, will do my best to not do the last one and over prune.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hope I can find something like that next year when I can spend time on them! Nice haul - me has tree envy :eek:

Grimmy

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I figured I'd bump this thread up to ask a question.

I've had the tree for a while now and it hasn't really pushed much growth for me. I know J. Maples slow down in the heat of the summer and I'm not sure of Kashima variety growth rates but I expected more. I'm sure that it is root bound in it's pot. I am debating slip potting now but not sure if there would be a point to it this late in the season, especially since I plan on doing a full repot in the spring.

Any thoughts? My gut says just leave it til next year.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
I figured I'd bump this thread up to ask a question.

I've had the tree for a while now and it hasn't really pushed much growth for me. I know J. Maples slow down in the heat of the summer and I'm not sure of Kashima variety growth rates but I expected more. I'm sure that it is root bound in it's pot. I am debating slip potting now but not sure if there would be a point to it this late in the season, especially since I plan on doing a full repot in the spring.

Any thoughts? My gut says just leave it til next year.

Your right NY just leave it. You will really gain nothing by putting in in a larger pot.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
NY yes I would leave it be until next spring. You certainly do not want to encourage new growth this late in the season.

Although kashima is part of the yatsubusa maple family, my experience with it has been of a tree with quite a bit of vigor. So much so that I have defoliated it two years in a row (not recommended!!) and has responded incredibly well with no signs of weakening. Behaved similarly to a standard green maple.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks all, I guess I already knew the answer but needed to hear it from someone else. I was hoping to have this tree healthy as possible for next spring and just wanted to make sure I did everything I could. It just seems it hasn't done much of anything for me since I got it, any growth has been very small.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would protect it well this winter and keep it away from very hard freezes and such. Be mindful that kashima likes to "wake up" early so make sure it is not kept too warm throughout the winter season. Ideally not much higher than 35F whenever possible.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Garage winter silhouette photo!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 545

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought it was grafted, but don't see an obvious scar.

Top Bottom