Knob cutting tool alternatives?

CNoe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a small 2 year old juniper pro nana and it has little knobs running up most of the trunk. I'd use knob cutters but I'm having a hard time finding them in my area and I feel the knobs are too small for knob cutters. Are there any alternative tools or techniques I can use to remove these knobs in the same way a knob cutter would (the concave cut knob cutters leave).

Thanks
P.S. I proofread this and apologize for the excessive use of the words knob and cut in multiple tenses.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Closest I can think of that will work for this size is a cuticle remover (nipper). Just don't use the good one your spouse uses (if you are married, or don't get caught LOL) ;)

Back to the tree, I won't remove those though.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For the tiny stuff we use a very small knob cutter from Sears we found in the electrical department. Pretty certain there are many brands available at a reasonable cost ;)

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
how about an xacto knife? For something that small I don't think a concave cut would make a difference in healing.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you must have a concave cut.....how about a small carving gouge?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can't get bonsai tools locally either. Try looking on Amazon.com. I got my tool set thrrough Amazon and they were inexpensive and decent tools.

CNoe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the responses everyone and could you explain why it would be counter productive? I just wanna know cuz with it being so young I'm now wondering how much I should actually do to it

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the responses everyone and could you explain why it would be counter productive? I just wanna know cuz with it being so young I'm now wondering how much I should actually do to it

Any type of pruning, cutting, or trimmimg of any part of the tree will temporarily slow it down, and, generally speaking, you want these young trees to grow wild to develop trunk mass, among other things, that give the impression of an older tree. Fwiw, with junipers, the gnarlier the trunk, the better, which is another reason to leave them:).

CNoe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any type of pruning, cutting, or trimmimg of any part of the tree will temporarily slow it down, and, generally speaking, you want these young trees to grow wild to develop trunk mass, among other things, that give the impression of an older tree. Fwiw, with junipers, the gnarlier the trunk, the better, which is another reason to leave them:).

Now would you advise against repotting it this fall? (not it being that time of the year cuz I'm set on repotting during dormancy but being that it's young) I believe it's been in the same pot since she was a seed if that helps in your answer.

Thanks again

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have bought 80 % of my tools on eBay.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Now would you advise against repotting it this fall? (not it being that time of the year cuz I'm set on repotting during dormancy but being that it's young) I believe it's been in the same pot since she was a seed if that helps in your answer.

Thanks again

Probably...but the answer really depends on whether it needs to be repotted and where you and your tree reside (it would help if you filled in your location in your user cp:)).

CNoe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in central PA, zone 6 I believe and I will put that in my profile

Top Bottom