Large Hornbeam

I like this tree, great work. I have 5 or 6 carolina hornbeam with double trunks in my collecting woods of varying shapes I always come back to ponder the possibilities. This tree has given me some good ideas as the double trunks are always a somewhat of a conundrum for me.

Much improved planting angle. Pot works well too.

Much improved planting angle. Pot works well too.
Good to hear that from you. I thought long and hard about your confusion of my direction with this tree during last season. I think if I could tip it a bit more it would feed the story of the tree.

Repotted this big boy yesterday. Always one of the harder ones to do, it's such a beast. I tried some root grafting this year, will be interesting to see if they take. I still have some big cutbacks to do now that I look at the photos... I was not able to lean it over any further this year with the root grafts, will try that out next time. It appears that the smaller trunk has gained too much height. I may make some hard decisions on this tree this year, and cut back some of the larger branches by quite a bit.
P1020245.jpg

Very nice JudyB. I prefer its previous pot to this one.
I can see the trunk of the small one try to compete with the branch of the big trunk to which creates the triangle. If I was you, I would reduce the trunk of the smaller one down to the red line and use the branch at that area to continue the trunk line.
P1020245[1].jpg

Bonhe

I was thinking of the same thing, but using the next branch up on that small trunk. Something needs to give. I too like the other pot with this, but it's otherwise occupied right now. I may move it back if I get a new pot for Piglet. I love this namako pot with Piglet, but it's a tad too narrow for developing.

This is a pretty impressive tree and I love the fact your using advanced techniques with the root grafts to improve it.

It certainly looks like you have abundant opportunities higher in the tree to cut back to finer growth. I imagine some areas might look a bit awkward for some time, but with a bit more growth over time, they might offer a look not achievable with wire training. An impressive tree that surely would have a bit of difficulty translating to the 2nd dimension limits of the "internet"....

Where is the beer for scale?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If I may be so bold as to say your container is very impressive?:p We've got more than a few of those "battleship" type pots here on the ranch.:rolleyes::):)

Those big pots are hard to come by...
...and expensive! Sometimes I wish I didn't love big and gnarly, old trees... my back and my wallet would be so much better off. Oh, the crosses we must bare:D. With that in mind, I gotta ask... is that namako antique Chinese??

Well Judy, since this one is so large and heavy and slow,I'm prepared to offer you the deal of the century.....................I'll trade you 10, count 'em 10, one year rooted cuttings of procumbens nana for this tree. I think that it's a fair deal and you should jump on it right now, today before I change my mind. I'd really be doing you a favor by making that offer. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!..................In all seriousness, I commented on this one several weeks back, I just looooove this one!! Great work!!..............SK

I got it from Kei, in Japan. Do not think it's antique, but it's beautiful!

Only if you throw in several foemina....
Thanks SK
ok, I haven't been able to contact@mfrary, who everyone knows is THE source for foemina, so I've decided to sweeten the pot with this ancient viewing stone AND custom handcarved dais. That oughta do it.DSCN2116.JPG

ok, I haven't been able to contact@mfrary, who everyone knows is THE source for foemina, so I've decided to sweeten the pot with this ancient viewing stone AND custom handcarved dais. That oughta do it.View attachment 133955
As long as it comes with that sweet piece of bark I'm sold. PM me please for details, and I'll cover shipping of course!!!

As long as it comes with that sweet piece of bark I'm sold. PM me please for details, and I'll cover shipping of course!!![/Q Dang........you drive a hard bargain...........but, OK.................pm sent, yuk, yuk!

Hey @JudyB, it has been a while. Could it be that this tree has moved on to somebody else's bench? Just curious, as I have a twin-trunk KH coming in a week!
Look forward to seeing yours and hearing an update on Judy's!! In the spirit of twin trunk hornbeams. Here is my Korean Hornbeam recently acquired
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg

Hey @JudyB, it has been a while. Could it be that this tree has moved on to somebody else's bench? Just curious, as I have a twin-trunk KH coming in a week!
Yes long years ago… I still have 4 nice but smaller KH, love the species!

Back
Top Bottom