Large Hornbeam

I absolutely love KH and this tree is an example of why. Great work. Great story.

James

new pot!

Here is the tree in a new pot made by Randy Doughty (Bent Pine pottery) I think the tree and pot are a perfect pairing. I like very much that it has a different feel on the two sides, and I like how each side works with the side of the tree. Kind of fitting with all the back and forth about which side to use as a front! Lots of photos, and the pot is very well made. He's great to work with, highly recommend him.

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 111
Here are some inside shots, the colors are nice and muted but still very interesting.
The first shot is of a smaller round I had him make, it's a beauty, but I should have made it an oval. Oh well, next time...

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3251.jpg
    IMG_3251.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Very nice! Playing with the thought of taking all out of sheds here, you are blessed with your setup and I am looking forward to building my new areas :D

Grimmy

Very nice! Playing with the thought of taking all out of sheds here, you are blessed with your setup and I am looking forward to building my new areas :D

Grimmy

Will a coating of snow hurt them? If the weather would turn...for surely it wouldn't get arctic cold...or last for long.

Wow. What a really cool bonsai! How heavy is it? Very jealous of that blue color pot

Will a coating of snow hurt them? If the weather would turn...for surely it wouldn't get arctic cold...or last for long.

It would if the plants were in Leaf, right now they are still at the push stage except for a few Larch that have started to show green. They all did start the "push" when they were either surrounded by or covered with 2 foot of snow and to stop them from Leaf I put them all in shed(s) here and at the farm. I am pretty certain there will not be anything more here in the nights to come then what I call a "soft frost" so if I put them out they can be free to leaf. There is NO solid way to predict it but base it on long range forecasts from a few different places and take a shot at it honest. M-Nature is hard to understand but the plants over the years can be...

Grimmy

You have to be very careful after a repotting, that is the most vulnerable time for a tree. I put them out in the sun in the day, and back into the greenhouse at night. For a bit till the weather settles into a warm pattern. You don't want new buds and leaves getting frostnipped.

Wow. What a really cool bonsai! How heavy is it? Very jealous of that blue color pot

VEry heavy, but manageable... just. That blue color is even nicer in person, and Randy is great to work with.
All in all the pot and tree is actually lighter than with the old pot, it was made of real heavy thick clay. And my soil mix is lighter now too, bonus!

Here are some inside shots, the colors are nice and muted but still very interesting.
The first shot is of a smaller round I had him make, it's a beauty, but I should have made it an oval. Oh well, next time...
Wow,such a beautiful color bonsai pot.I think your tree looks great.I especially like the last photo.I made a grow area last year for 5 Coreana Hornbeams.I am suddenly excited to see them buds leaf out.They have 1-2" trunks.I hope they survived the winter planted on the marble tiles.

This is one of my favorite trees that gets updated here. Thanks for posting. My hornbeam is the first tree to leaf out every year. It leafs out in early February. In and out game for a few months every year. Have you ever defoliated this one? I'm thinking of doing mine this year.

Grimmy

Funny Grimmy, I've been thinking the same. The lows are finally starting to look better

Judy, this hornbeam is looking really good. Good work.

This is one of my favorite trees that gets updated here. Thanks for posting. My hornbeam is the first tree to leaf out every year. It leafs out in early February. In and out game for a few months every year. Have you ever defoliated this one? I'm thinking of doing mine this year.

I have never defoliated it, I'm building strength at this point, and it's paying off...

Looking great Judy! I also love the new pot. :)

Is it common practice to defoliate hornbeams?

If they get dense, I think it's common to take a partial to get light into the interior for bud formation. I imagine some do it for fall color reasons too. I don't think I'd ever totally do this one, it's so old... But it's going crazy this year, super backbudding going on.

Great work on this tree Judy. I have missed this thread until now. Then again, other than the maple forum, I am hardly anywhere else here due to time constraints unfortunately. So much good stuff I miss. Glad I stumbled upon this one. I like the wild feel you have achieved with this tree. Like it very much! :eek:

Glad to see you in a non maple topic Mach... But I do understand that, as you certainly have a way with them.

I wanted to keep the record for this tree in this thread, so am posting the fall leaf color shots here as well as the fall color thread.
This tree is just glowing right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3853.jpg
    IMG_3853.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 71
Back