Large slant style Trident.

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this tree a couple of years ago in Georgia. Being new to the practice of Bonsai I thought it was a real "find". After looking at it all this time I am still trying to figure out what to do. My plan is to air layer the upright branch. Any other suggestions or advice before the knife comes out?

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0022.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Terry,
I think I'd air layer the other branch and leave the upright one, as the new leader. Cut it back above that neat direction change, and you've got something. Actually, I myself wouldn't air layer that other branch, I'd just cut it off, it's too straight to have much interest. A lot of people just want another plant, which is fine, but for me if there's nothing special about it, it's just another plant...

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would think about ground layering it at the base of the trunk so that you could change the planting angle and work on it as an informal upright. That long straight side branch could be air layered and planted at a slight angle to develop a little more movement eventually.

IMG_0019.jpg

bumblebee

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I look forward to hearing what more people have to say about this tree.
I'm liking the angle and wondering what could be made of it.

Libby

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would chop all branches and the leader Back to about an inch where the all meet. Then re grow it all.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi Terry,
This is what I would do if were my tree, let it grow free this season and wire after fall
it would be a good or better start.

Best of luck,
Rishi.

Attachments

• tridentchop.jpg
    tridentchop.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 164

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi Terry,
This is what I would do if were my tree, let it grow free this season and wire after fall

Best of luck,
Rishi.
I like this idea as well.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Terry,

Best of luck,
Rishi.

I agree with Ris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This was what I envisioned for this tree as well...
Nice virt Ris, a picture is always better than words.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
None of the photos show any nebari at all. 90% of the value of any bonsai is in the nebari and lower trunk up to the first branch. So, it's impossible to say if the current planting angle is correct, or what would be the best planting angle. Once you have that, then look at the branching.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this tree a couple of years ago in Georgia. Being new to the practice of Bonsai I thought it was a real "find". After looking at it all this time I am still trying to figure out what to do. My plan is to air layer the upright branch. Any other suggestions or advice before the knife comes out?
I agree with jkd, cut the leaders back to about an inch long and regrow the whole top.

You should also dig down a little to see what sort of rootage you have. Tridents are usually good about surface rootage, so you'll want to expose this to enhance the tree's appearance.

Good luck!

Zach

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is what I would do if were my tree, let it grow free this season and wire after fall it would be a good or better start.
I agree with Rishi...maybe chop the vertical portion further down to half or a third.

None of the photos show any nebari at all. 90% of the value of any bonsai is in the nebari and lower trunk up to the first branch. So, it's impossible to say if the current planting angle is correct, or what would be the best planting angle. Once you have that, then look at the branching.
+1

You should also dig down a little to see what sort of rootage you have. Tridents are usually good about surface rootage, so you'll want to expose this to enhance the tree's appearance.
Or start inducing root growth now where you need them.

Good luck!

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Zach I know this tree is very root bound. My plan is to repot and allow me to get a look below the surface. So many have said start the top again I will take a look at the tree today. I have it at another location for the winter. It will be a few weeks before our weather moderates enough this year. I appreciate all the input.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Glad you like the idea Terry. Just one more option among many others. If you do opt for this design direction, it may be nice to do some carving on the trunk to give the image age and character.

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are pics after the first trim. I have removed one branch and left the other two a little longer to give some more choices or allow for some jin work later.IMG_0069.jpgIMG_0074.jpgIMG_0075.jpgIMG_0019.jpg[

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You really don't use jin on deciduous trees. Conifers only.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like Mach5's virt. However, there is a big problem. The design is a botanical impossibilty. A tree would not have branches that grow in this manner. Also, the strongest branches would eminate from the bottom of the trunk area. Of course there are some things in bonsai that are not usually found in nature, so it would be the artist's discretion.

In my opinion, if you want to make this virt more realistic. You could create a raft style. Burying the trunk horizonatally. You could create a secondary root system running along the bottom of the trunk that is buried.

As far as the jin idea. I have to agree with Adair that jins would look very unatural on this tree. However, there is a solution. If you jin, make them not that detailed and more plain. Then after you are done. You can get some ink that is similar to the color of the bark. Dilute it and paint the jins. This way the areas would look just like they became that way from age naturally and weren't carved or had man made dead wood.

Rob

Top Bottom