Late summer repotting

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I meant there is HBR method....though I did go a little further than Halfway with my Mugo this summer, with success.
Contrary to Vance's denial, I always fbr nursery mugos 'mid-summer' - it is absolutely ideal as they always thrive afterward. Of course one can pussy-foot with them.
Always leave your self an escape route!
At least, in my climate.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Contrary to Vance's denial, I always fbr nursery mugos 'mid-summer' - it is absolutely ideal as they always thrive afterward. Of course one can pussy-foot with them.

At least, in my climate.
I'm sorry I do not know what fbr means. Could you elaborate seeing bringing my name into it seems to indicate I am in favor or contrary to something I would like to confirm or deny.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Full Bare Root

I'm with ya Vance....These young whippersnappers come from the computer age and grew up with them. I didn't know what BRB was for weeks after giving a guy 20.00 to buy my lunch. I texted him wanting to know when he would be back...all he kept saying was BRB, BRB....He never came.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood , all you need to remember is FAYG.

Everytime you post, start with that.......

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I absolutely hate these computerized short cuts for carrying on a decent conversation devoid of ambiguities, and then laughing at people who ask you to explain what you're talking about. So YCKMA.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It started when I was working at GC..Guitar Center. They had Acronyms for everything.
So I started talking with the wife in Acronyms.

I think basic conversations can be had with only letters.

DYTS?

Sorce

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't find that "attacking".

I actually appreciate all the points ___________ has been making, from the Rafael threads up till these.
Very Contained and Well Written.

I agree with this,

The same human nature has other folks on here also thinking they are still being attacked, when in fact, the Pillory has turned to a Throne under their asses and they can't decipher this difference!

People will still argue with this older gaurd, but I haven't seen it without respect.
If someone says to hey don't respect Walter, or Vance, or Ahem, Smoke, they're lying to themselves...so...fuck em!
They'll never make a good tree out of lies!

Anyway, please realize it's the internet's fault.

We must continue to evolve with it.
In peace. And learning.

Sorce
All information are just statements until verified or fortified with like experience. That's why you listen to any point of view and then attempt to prove it's validity before making up your mind on any subject regardless of the source ( no pun intended).

Last edited by a moderator:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I absolutely hate these computerized short cuts for carrying on a decent conversation devoid of ambiguities, and then laughing at people who ask you to explain what you're talking about. So YCKMA.
Cant stand them either...especially when denoting a tree species......except for maybe JBP ;)this was probably the first species ever denoted in this way!!

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
As for late summer repotting , you bet. I am gearing up to apply it to a number of of evergreen conifers - with as minimal root work as necessary. and I will film it. and I will post it here.
Can't wait to see it! Please folks, less groucing and more demonstrations of our "Hobby" would be better appreciated.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Whoever said that actually has more money than brains.
I have a few trees that are worth in the hundreds of dollars.
The most I spent on any of them is $7.00.
There is no need to spend hundreds of dollars on a tree if you're willing to spend the time.
The hundreds of dollars you pay for is someone's time.
I agree. The money well spent is for the education that you need and the skills that you develop over time. That is where the smart money is spent. Anyone that buys a pre made masterpiece and doesn't know how to care for it like you said more money than.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree. The money well spent is for the education that you need and the skills that you develop over time. That is where the smart money is spent. Anyone that buys a pre made masterpiece and doesn't know how to care for it like you said more money than.
The problem is this: There are those here and in bonsai in-particular that believe dogmatically with almost the same stogy adherence exhibited by Bolero in his real bonsai post, a belief in something untrue. In this case it is manifested by the concept that you cannot make a bonsai cheaply, or out of nursery material. The truth is you cannot make a bonsai unless you have the knowledge, the skill, and the determination to do so. Unless you get into a apprenticeship with a Japanese master in Japan, and you wont especially if you cannot discriminate dog doo from shoe polish, you have to be well studied and willing to sort hyperbole from fact. Myself I am self taught, but at a cost we wont go into here. We are as always our own worst enemies, even in bonsai. If our ideas about design were as good as our visions about how bonsai works and our willingness to defend bad practice, bad technique, and wrong headed epistemology even when proven worng arguing "I have time to experiment" we would all be masters and our trees would all be masterpieces.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
The problem is this: There are those here and in bonsai in-particular that believe dogmatically with almost the same stogy adherence exhibited by Bolero in his real bonsai post, a belief in something untrue. In this case it is manifested by the concept that you cannot make a bonsai cheaply, or out of nursery material. The truth is you cannot make a bonsai unless you have the knowledge, the skill, and the determination to do so. Unless you get into a apprenticeship with a Japanese master in Japan, and you wont especially if you cannot discriminate dog doo from shoe polish, you have to be well studied and willing to sort hyperbole from fact. Myself I am self taught, but at a cost we wont go into here. We are as always our own worst enemies, even in bonsai. If our ideas about design were as good as our visions about how bonsai works and our willingness to defend bad practice, bad technique, and wrong headed epistemology even when proven worng arguing "I have time to experiment" we would all be masters and our trees would all be masterpieces.
But Vance, all my trees are masterpieces ( in my backyard).

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Time is the great equalizer as you all well know. Over time these self appreciated masters will fall by the wayside certainly blaming others for their failure to be recognized for these geniuses they are ( in their own mind ). I prefer to watch, learn and observe persons who demonstrate their knowledge of the craft and eagerly share it with others. Maybe guys like Walter, and Vance aren't as warm and fuzzy as you would like, but hey you are not here to be his best pal ( if so, you really suck at it ). You are here to listen and learn and show some appreciation for the experience. IMHO

Top Bottom