Literati Scots pine

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's a mighty small pot for a tree just pulled from the ground :) What are you planning to do with it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scots Pines can do remarkably well in small pots as the attachment below of a Scots I am working on shows. Excuse the old picture taken after the second styling, I really need to take some new ones. Anyhow, if the roots are good, they don't seem to mind at all, the Scots shown has been in the Horst pot for over two years now.

However, I have found that back budding and rapid foliage replacement.growth is achieved much quicker in a training pot/pond basket. The Scots below had its roots developed into mainly fine feeders in a larger training pot, then moved into a small pot. (Posted at http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1495&highlight=scots+pine )

Nice dig Chris, you gotta love Christmas tree farms. It has some work ahead of it, but don't they all?

Will

Attachments

• second%20styling.jpg
    second%20styling.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think if it were me, I'd have it in nearly pure pumice growing in a colander some such. It's going to need some serious root development and it's not going to get it in a bonsai pot. Just my two cents worth. good find.

Top Bottom