Mame coral beauty Cotoneaster, 3 month progression

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought this great little cotoneaster coral beauty for $10 on June 4th. Loved its inherent trunk line and could see, based on the trunk line, that the base was plenty thick and leaves plenty small to make a convincing composition. Here it is after chopping , removing duff and loose soil and up-potting. Poor picture I know. They get better. 260149

Had great growth after heavy fertilizing and full sun. And gained adventitious buds at proper locations along the trunk line. Decided to leave the secondary trunk and will wire accordingly with time. Here is a shot 1 month later
Let grow vigorously again and began wiring and cutting back back new growth, and removed some not so great branches. Another month. 260152

It’s amazing how quickly this one has responded to pruning and simple wiring. The original chop, which was sealed with beeswax, is also cal losing over real well. Here is a shot today with lots of new growth. Will do another cut back this weekend, then leave it be. 260153260154260155

I will def be potting in a slightly oversized bonsai training pot next spring, with intentions of reducing the rootball more and more each year until a proper pot is found.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here’s a question though. In order to set this tree up for optimal flowering and fruiting next year, how should I manage growth from here forward? Or do I want to sacrifice flowering and fruiting for a few years?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Love the bone structure you got going. Though I know nothing about the type of tree, I bet it turns out amazing!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the bone structure you got going. Though I know nothing about the type of tree, I bet it turns out amazing!
Thanks! Yeah it’s budded and grown like crazy. I knew Cotoneaster were nortorious for vigorous growth but it’s exceeded my expectations. Pretty sure it’ll take a lot to keep managed even at its size. But I love it!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @JudyB ! A couple Questions about Cotoneaster. How would say is the best way to manage my growth moving in to fall? Will flowering and fruiting of Cotoneaster slow growth and development? And when would be the best time going in to fall to selectively prune growth? Thanks!

DH

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oddly enough I do not know cotoneaster, I've never had one. Although I know they grow like weeds, as you've seen with yours. I do very much like yours and you've done a good job shaping it. I tried to see if they flower on new or old wood, but could not find the answer, although most say to shape before new growth, and do major work in February. But that is a landscape guideline, so not sure how pertinent it is for you. Keep us updated. You've made me think about getting one....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They definitely get out of control if you font stay on top of them. Yours is looking great! Im learning first hand that they can be challenging for a grower like myself who always hesitates to prune or make cuts. I think this is a tree you don't want to say "next year" on any plans.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oddly enough I do not know cotoneaster, I've never had one. Although I know they grow like weeds, as you've seen with yours. I do very much like yours and you've done a good job shaping it. I tried to see if they flower on new or old wood, but could not find the answer, although most say to shape before new growth, and do major work in February. But that is a landscape guideline, so not sure how pertinent it is for you. Keep us updated. You've made me think about getting one....
Thanks Judy. It must have been a small pyracantha of yours that I saw you develop very quick. Then again it may not have been your tree I was thinking of. I’m young, but still going a bit crazy! 😂

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They definitely get out of control if you font stay on top of them. Yours is looking great! Im learning first hand that they can be challenging for a grower like myself who always hesitates to prune or make cuts. I think this is a tree you don't want to say "next year" on any plans.
Yeah, once the leaves filled out it seemed to flush through in 2 weeks after a prune. I think I’ll prune more consistently next year. But I need busy trees. 😂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, once the leaves filled out it seemed to flush through in 2 weeks after a prune. I think I’ll prune more consistently next year. But I need busy trees. 😂

Im heading into Knoxville today. Going to try to hit up a nursery there if i can find one and see if they have any discounted. For some reason nobody in my area sells cotoneaster. I only see them in east or west TN.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy. It must have been a small pyracantha of yours that I saw you develop very quick. Then again it may not have been your tree I was thinking of. I’m young, but still going a bit crazy! 😂
Yes, I have a little pyracantha, and they are fast fast fast! and Bombproof, you should give one a try.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This guy has not stopped growing. I keep wiring down the new leader and trimming the interior growth of each new branch that I’ve established. Has already ramified considerably. Loved the progression so much I went out a month ago and bought another! And it’s already growing like mad! 264144

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First tree repot from existing collection. Simply removed old pot and soil and potted it in to a production container. Needs clean up and wiring, but I’ll wait till it’s growing vigorously. Angle seems ok but that smaller trunk/first branch on the right needs sorting out. Hoping to get berries on this one this year. F70C06D6-BCDD-4879-811D-FC6A7D3CD6E4.jpeg

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got a coral beauty last year on clearance end of year. The Autumn colors were awesome. I gave it a good hard cut back and repot yesterday, as it was very leggy and lacking taper. Of course, I think it jumped out at me in October because I read this thread. I might need to chop harder, as yours has much better taper.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a coral beauty last year on clearance end of year. The Autumn colors were awesome. I gave it a good hard cut back and repot yesterday, as it was very leggy and lacking taper. Of course, I think it jumped out at me in October because I read this thread. I might need to chop harder, as yours has much better taper.
Yeah they respond very well to chop and as @cheap_walmart_art said, they get out of control quick! But the fall look and tiny leaves are worth it. The other on here is due for a repot also.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like I’m about to get my first little show of berries. Should be a great season for this little guy. Now that the branch structure is set, I’m just looking to fill in and ramify! 64D4B7E5-380A-4A37-9A30-57F46378BD01.jpeg
A3A0A99B-B138-452A-A9B8-F770E43AB900.jpeg

Top Bottom