Ming Dynasty Reproduction Bonsai Pots

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Limited Edition Bonsai Pots
by Robert Steven

Reproductions of ancient Ming Dynasty bonsai pots produced in the ancient Dragon Kiln are now exclusively available only through the AoB / KoB Store!

Robert Steven, a world renowned bonsai artist has produced these reproductions of an original antique Ming Dynasty bonsai pot to a 1:3 scale, measurements are 12 x 12 x 8.5 cm. Each pot was produced in the “Qian Shu” ancient Dragon Kiln of Yixing, China and each is hand numbered with a certificate signed by Robert Steven.

This limited edition run consists of only 500 pieces (only 300 left) and are sure to be well sought after as collector items. Each comes in a custom box with a hand signed certificate of authenticity by Robert Steven. With the immense history behind these reproductions and the limited edition run, these pots are sure to sell quickly!

The Dragon Kiln

The “Qian Shu” ancient Dragon Kiln is located in the Qian Shu village of Yixing, Jiangshu, China. The kiln was built during the Ming Dynasty, over 600 years ago. It was called the Dragon Kiln because of the unique shape of the kiln, which measures 43.4 meters in length, 2.3 meters in width, and 1.55 meters in height. It has 42 pairs of control windows on both sides which gives it the look of a dragon’s backbone laying down the hillside.

The “Qian Shu” Dragon Kiln uses pinewood and bamboo for the burning process, which normally reaches a temperature about 1150 Celsius during a burning time of 10 hours.

The “Qian Shu” ancient Dragon Kiln is acclaimed as one of only two ancient kilns in China, which are still well maintained and used in the tradition ways. It is also known as the first kiln built in this area, starting the history of Zi-sha ceramic pots of Yixing.

A 3D image of one of these pots can be seen at http://knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=4344

Orders can be placed at http://www.aobkobstore.com

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice pots, nice price too. I thought as I went looking they might be much more. For the artist, and history of the kiln, I don't think you can go wrong here.

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a potter who makes handmade, one-off pots I always find this stuff interesting.

A chinese cast pot, under 5" across, limited to 500!!!!
numbered and stamped.
Thats $17,500 dollars total for that single small cast pot run.
I imagine it will be followed by others for sure.

This is the kind of stuff I think about while trying to peddle a one-off pot to an internet minded market.

Man, I GOTTA start writing that book!

D.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dale, Perhaps he sprinkles pixie dust on the pot before it is fired. That's got to be worth something.(;-}

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dale,

210 sold as of this post :eek:

Besides being signed, numbered, and being a limited edition, these pots do have some historical value as well, being a reproduction of a Ming Dynasty pot and also fired in the Ancient Dragon Kiln.

If nothing else, they do show that collector items can be a successful venture in bonsai.

Will

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff I think about while trying to peddle a one-off pot to an internet minded market.

Yes, it seems like the marketing words work. You will also need to get pop/moviestar-like name that sounds right. Oh well, let me go and order a pot anyway.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The shipment is on the open seas as we speak, coming from Shangai China, once custom cleared, they will be shipped.

By the look of things, they will all be sold before the shipment arrives.

Will

Last edited:

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
As a potter who makes handmade, one-off pots I always find this stuff interesting.

A chinese cast pot, under 5" across, limited to 500!!!!
numbered and stamped.
Thats $17,500 dollars total for that single small cast pot run.
I imagine it will be followed by others for sure.

D.

A reproduction is OK, I guess. But, if you want an original, here's one by Dale Cochoy. The tree is quercus agrifolia, standing 32 inches tall from the soil line. Dale made this pot to order for me.
If you need a special pot, he da man!

Mike

Attachments

• oak-1-rs.jpg
    oak-1-rs.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 53

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

But it wasn't made in a Dragon Kiln.

It was made in Dale's garage...Dale should say his pots were made in his "Bonsai Dojo," or "Bonsai Niwa" or something like that. He should also make them smaller and charge more :):) Heck, if you ask $50 for a 6" pot, you don't waste as much clay.

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

But it wasn't made in a Dragon Kiln.

It was made in Dale's garage...Dale should say his pots were made in his "Bonsai Dojo," or "Bonsai Niwa" or something like that. He should also make them smaller and charge more :):) Heck, if you ask $50 for a 6" pot, you don't waste as much clay.

:) I guess yoiu are right Mark!
BTW, it wasn't made in my garage....it was made in my shed!! er, I mean, my ancient 6 year old gas kiln! ( Reminder to Dale: Name that kiln)

Thanks Mike, BTW, that pot Mike showed Does have a signature AND Japanese kanji on the bottom!! but, crap....I forgot to number it.
Mike, would you please take a Sharpie and put a #1 on it....since it's a ONE OFF pot!

Dale

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hows about a minimalistic drum pot with only three rivets evenly spaced each of an inch wide.

Not sure if a flat top,rounded or conical would work best,embellished a concentric circle in each,maybe smaller and smaller circles like you find on jean rivets.

They could be raised or indented,perhaps half and half.

Perhaps a nice thin dust glaze.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
:) I guess yoiu are right Mark!
BTW, it wasn't made in my garage....it was made in my shed!! er, I mean, my ancient 6 year old gas kiln! ( Reminder to Dale: Name that kiln)

Thanks Mike, BTW, that pot Mike showed Does have a signature AND Japanese kanji on the bottom!! but, crap....I forgot to number it.
Mike, would you please take a Sharpie and put a #1 on it....since it's a ONE OFF pot!

Dale

Sounds to me like someone crying over spilled milk. These comments of yours in recent post fail to add any market value to your product, on the contrary, they tarnish your stature as a both a businessman and artist. Ethics 101. Please do not patronize me with a come back on capitalism at its best.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Sounds to me like someone crying over spilled milk. These comments of yours in recent post fail to add any market value to your product, on the contrary, they tarnish your stature as a both a businessman and artist. Ethics 101. Please do not patronize me with a come back on capitalism at its best."

Dude, lighten up.

Dale is a great businessman. I've been buying his pots for years. His products are stellar and he remains a great artist.

He is not patronizing. Far from it.

It was my post suggesting this might be a marketing heavy product that you probably have issue with.

Dale is merely exercising his sense of humor. Surely you can't have an issue with that.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Dale always seems to have an issue with anyone else selling pots!
Wether they are cheaper than his or more expensive it does not seem to matter.

Last edited:

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Will I went to purchase a pot and I got it to calulate postage cost to Australia and it stated $0
Is that a bug in the system I won't purchase without a postage cost.
Thanks

Top Bottom