MIRAI YATSUBUSA ELM

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks honestly amazing. Epitome of rough and rugged. Looking forward to seeing it in full leaf this year too.

Given the amount of buds, its damn fortunate there's not much need to defoliate an Elm!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice tree, the last couple of photos are just amazing, looks like really old tree in LOTR or some other fantasy land.
Stunning!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man,that’s an elm....I see at least 9 trees there.....air-layer it!

jk
this Bonsai is the bomb.You do not see too many prime examples as this yatsubusa....just wow dude......totally grand daddy oak style or gnarly old tree of some species.I see many granddaddy trees like this in nature of many species really.

Thanks Curtis. Yes it totally reminds me of some old oak. I am really enjoying this tree. It just responds so well and so strongly! The only problem, as you well know working with elms, is that the push lots of buds from old wood. So every year I have to carefully remove shoots that constantly pop up from in between the delicate bark plates.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks honestly amazing. Epitome of rough and rugged. Looking forward to seeing it in full leaf this year too.

Given the amount of buds, its damn fortunate there's not much need to defoliate an Elm!

Yes true Conor but.... and a BIG but! I don't have to do the traditional leaf defoliation (partial or otherwise) you do on say maples. However, I do have to thin the tree out considerably as they grow a massive amount of shoots along the length of the branches. So in a way it goes through its own defoliation at least a couple of times a year. I do this by pulling off the shoots quickly by hand. Otherwise I could literally spend a whole day or more cutting them one by one with scissors.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Every time I see this tree it startles me. In a good way, but it's just sooooo different! And so wonderful because of it. The air layer I got from you from this one is doing great, its been leafed for a couple weeks now. Time to go get unnecessary buds off the trunk. Still have not decided a complete direction for it, but did reduce it before repotting this spring. I was hoping we could sort a direction on the workshop day... :(
It's a wild and wonderful tree, you have amassed a really interesting collection!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes true Conor but.... and a BIG but! I don't have to do the traditional leaf defoliation (partial or otherwise) you do on say maples. However, I do have to thin the tree out considerably as they grow a massive amount of shoots along the length of the branches. So in a way it goes through its own defoliation at least a couple of times a year. I do this by pulling off the shoots quickly by hand. Otherwise I could literally spend a whole day or more cutting them one by one with scissors.

I hear that. I have small shohin sized elms but very very small leaves and loads of them, to get in those branches and remove whilst pruning, its ridiculous.
I've thought about buying one of those stands with a magnifying glass and light around it that hobbyists use for painting miniature figures.. that'd be useful.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Way, way cool tree. Stunning. It is so different in many aspects, highly impactful. Could you comment on your long term vision of the intended canopy shape shape? Present shape v rounded top, wider lower branches seen in a typical broom? I recognize this is likely one of the last aspects to address.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Every time I see this tree it startles me. In a good way, but it's just sooooo different! And so wonderful because of it. The air layer I got from you from this one is doing great, its been leafed for a couple weeks now. Time to go get unnecessary buds off the trunk. Still have not decided a complete direction for it, but did reduce it before repotting this spring. I was hoping we could sort a direction on the workshop day... :(
It's a wild and wonderful tree, you have amassed a really interesting collection!

Thanks Juds! Happy to hear the air layer is doing well. I wanted to create a shohin out of it. It does produce lots of unnecessary buds along the branches and also produces lots of strong budding around cuts.

If you want we could do a quick video chat/face time to discuss direction?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Way, way cool tree. Stunning. It is so different in many aspects, highly impactful. Could you comment on your long term vision of the intended canopy shape shape? Present shape v rounded top, wider lower branches seen in a typical broom? I recognize this is likely one of the last aspects to address.

I am aiming for some sort of broom style version. The very top still developing. I do know that I don't want to end up with a perfect tight ball for its silhouette. I want to look for opportunities to open it up and end up with an asymmetrical outline. Some branches made shorter while others left longer etc.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This tree has such a grand scale, I'd love to see it with multiple distinct levels of pads with generous negative space in between - like a massive old forest tree that still has enough light penetration to keep some lower branches alive.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Its mega that is i love it and its a bit bigger than my yatsubutsa elm
Its a tough species to get right especially when it's a small tree as its growth habits are insane but that does help it to develop quickly bit its hard staying on top of things.
and the leaf size is so small Isn't itScreenshot_20201111-214045_Photos.jpg
Only pic I had to hand was a screen shot from Harry's Instagram lol as he helped me with most of my trees and he loved this one so much he had to share it lol
Its been worked on a lot since then and the branches were Pulled down at the bottom more and the top apex has been given a bit more height so it was so flat and mushroom like.
I only share it as its not a species of elm I see very often and haven't seen many more apart from Yours

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's an amazing tree, Serg. It seems to create its own environment.

Thanks Fred. LOL I think there's a temperature difference up at the apex 😅It's the first thing that catches everyone's eye when coming into he garden. Its sheer size is quite imposing and then of course there's the bark!

Next year it's repotting time so we'll see but I have some ideas in how to approach it since the trunk cannot be touched!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Its mega that is i love it and its a bit bigger than my yatsubutsa elm
Its a tough species to get right especially when it's a small tree as its growth habits are insane but that does help it to develop quickly bit its hard staying on top of things.
and the leaf size is so small Isn't it
Only pic I had to hand was a screen shot from Harry's Instagram lol as he helped me with most of my trees and he loved this one so much he had to share it lol
Its been worked on a lot since then and the branches were Pulled down at the bottom more and the top apex has been given a bit more height so it was so flat and mushroom like.
I only share it as its not a species of elm I see very often and haven't seen many more apart from Yours

Thanks for sharing Rob. That's a really nice tree! At that size I am sure it's a challenge to keep up with it since they are such prolific growers. They bud everywhere. In that sense, mine is a bit easier due to its size. I have seen a few here in the US but they are not very common here either.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Rob. That's a really nice tree! At that size I am sure it's a challenge to keep up with it since they are such prolific growers. They bud everywhere. In that sense, mine is a bit easier due to its size. I have seen a few here in the US but they are not very common here either.
Yeah its a bit crazy and if your not carful can suddenly have numerous shoots come up from all over the place lol its definitely one to check on once a day in the growing season lol
But on the plus side it was easy to rework and adjust as you can guarantee a shoot will pop up where you want it too

Top Bottom