MIRAI YATSUBUSA ELM

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting to see yours isn't any further along than mine (in terms of buds opening, not tree development).

Do you have the growing tip of that thread graft shoot wired up as high as possible? That might encourage it to grow/thicken faster and thus speed up the grafting process. But you probably already know that :) Interesting about it taking a while, I've seen shoots on these trees thicken really rapidly.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting to see yours isn't any further along than mine (in terms of buds opening, not tree development).

Do you have the growing tip of that thread graft shoot wired up as high as possible? That might encourage it to grow/thicken faster and thus speed up the grafting process. But you probably already know that :) Interesting about it taking a while, I've seen shoots on these trees thicken really rapidly.

Yes Chris it was done facing up. It was a very strong growing branch that I had to bend around to make the thread graft. That seemed to slow it down.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Killer Elm Mach5. A beast for sure but killer all the same.
Love it.

Have to admit that it made my back hurt just looking at the pictures.
Too big for my old back.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Killer Elm Mach5. A beast for sure but killer all the same.
Love it.

Have to admit that it made my back hurt just looking at the pictures.
Too big for my old back.

I just placed it back in the garden for the growing season and even with help it is quite heavy!! Strategizing now how I will go about repotting it next year. The challenge: It must be repotted without ever touching the bark.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just placed it back in the garden for the growing season and even with help it is quite heavy!! Strategizing now how I will go about repotting it next year. The challenge: It must be repotted without ever touching the bark.

Interesting challenge. You drill anchors on the underside of a few major branches, on an inconspicuous location, and then you use heavy machinery to lift the tree up?

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Now that sounds interesting.

I have a cactus called a Devils Tongue. I made a sling out of paracord and laced it around and through the spines.
Took me a couple of hours to repot but at least that thing didn't make me bleed.
And I didn't damage the cactus.

It will be interesting to see how you go about the repot without touching the bark.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting challenge. You drill anchors on the underside of a few major branches, on an inconspicuous location, and then you use heavy machinery to lift the tree up?

@Cosmos I think the worry is braking the branch or branches as I doubt they can handle the weight of the entire tree. Worrisome also would be the scenario where one of those anchors slips or brakes loose.

Ryan suggested to just hold branches at their shoulder or base and lift straight up... I am sure with help. If I do this, thinking about cutting a few inches of soil from all around the perimeter of the pot and that should take some weight off before lifting. It's tough because the tree is pretty wide and really cumbersome to just grab and lift. We'll see.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ive seen some videos of people repotting huge bonsai trees, and if they aren't using big tools to lift, they just tilt the tree and work one section of the roots at a time.....then shimmy it back into its pot, usually with 2 or 3 helpers.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was finally able to cut off my thread graft and an air layer I had been working on. The thread graft itself took a little over a year to fully take. Unsure if this was where it was located or typical of this species. Maples you can do them in about three months time. So I was surprised how long this one took. As you can see below, the exit portion (left) had more than doubled its girth than that of the entry side. At this point it was safe to cut it off.

IMG_2727.jpg

In contrast to the thread graft, a portion of an otherwise too straight branch at the back was air layered only taking a little over four weeks to be separated.

IMG_2723.jpg

After it was separated.

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

Almost three weeks after it was separated. A future twin trunk bonsai. It is budding strongly where it was pruned back. Perhaps next spring I may cut it all off to a short stump and regrow it as a small twin trunk shohin.

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is my first time seeing this thread. I absolutely love this tree! I think it's probably the best Elm I've ever seen. It has a terrific natural feel to it.
I am always in awe of your trees, Sergio. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for all the learning opportunities we have from your postings.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few weeks ago I was finally able to cut off my thread graft and an air layer I had been working on. The thread graft itself took a little over a year to fully take. Unsure if this was where it was located or typical of this species. Maples you can do them in about three months time. So I was surprised how long this one took. As you can see below, the exit portion (left) had more than doubled its girth than that of the entry side. At this point it was safe to cut it off.

View attachment 260444

In contrast to the thread graft, a portion of an otherwise too straight branch at the back was air layered only taking a little over four weeks to be separated.

View attachment 260446

After it was separated.

View attachment 260448

View attachment 260449

Almost three weeks after it was separated. A future twin trunk bonsai. It is budding strongly where it was pruned back. Perhaps next spring I may cut it all off to a short stump and regrow it as a small twin trunk shohin.

View attachment 260451

View attachment 260452
Killer!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is my first time seeing this thread. I absolutely love this tree! I think it's probably the best Elm I've ever seen. It has a terrific natural feel to it.
I am always in awe of your trees, Sergio. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for all the learning opportunities we have from your postings.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad anything that I post is helpful is some way. I loved this tree from the moment Ryan showed to me. I had to sacrifice a few of my trees to get this one but I don't regret at all. I am hoping that in another 4 to 5 years it will be ready to show.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Segio, You are doing an excellent job training your Yatsubusa Chinese Elm bonsai!

Thought I’d show you my Yatsubusa Chinese Elm, which is the mother stock plant of thousands of new specimens. The plant is one of my cuttings and the B&W photo was taken when I planted the tree next to the garage (18’ tall) around 1990. So this the size one can expect from a tree only about 35 years old, planted in a garden. And, don't forget I live in the frigid north Upstate New York. Just think what the size it would attain in warmer area....

Note the tall height and heavy trunk with rough corking bark. Periodically I remove branches 8-10 feet in length which shade the bonsai below.

Many years ago I had a Golden Japanese Back Pine garden tree planted to the right of the Yatsubusa Chinese Elm. I gave it to a friend for his garden and when dug the tree he accidentally cut off one of the surface roots from the elm. Well, it became an ideal root cutting and trained it to a cascade bonsai. It is on my right in a square dark blue Chinese cascade pot.

1990.JPG
TREE.JPGWNV ELM.JPGFULL SIZE ELM.JPG

Top Bottom