Monster DAS, should I dig?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grafting can always be done later if it survives. If you absolutely have to, Id ask ole buddy owner to dig up with supervision for 50$ or so? That’s a lotta tree for a shovel. A tree this size and age, do some research. Aftercare is very important. Good luck whatever you do. I’d honestly prolly go for it if money and help was no issue. I’d plant it back in ground in shady area tho and baby it. Mites are an issue here.
He has a backhoe and will dig and load for me.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You asked for advice, but seem to be seeking justification because the tree has a large trunk--a large taperless, mostly uninteresting trunk...
Good luck
I guess I kind of am. I wonder if I can change the title?
Thank you for the warning on the roots, I am trying to cut a few roots off close with the hope they will make short feeder roots. I read somewhere to dig a trench and fill it with bonsai mix?
And will need all the luck I can get.
Thank you.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Finally got it dug.
Yes, I know, it's still not worth messing with. But it is an adventure. And I'm having fun. So . . .
Root ball came out surprisingly easy and seems to have a fair amount of roots inside about 3 foot x 4 foot x 18 inch root ball.
IMG_1992.JPG

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now, if you got really, really lucky and stumbled across a Alberta Spruce Witches Broom like this...
Ech.. not very nice. :rolleyes:

Witches or not, to me what you call "Alberta spruce" can be a very beautiful garden tree, like the one you photographed.

But I've never seen one that is a "good" bonsai.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Finally got it dug.
Yes, I know, it's still not worth messing with. But it is an adventure. And I'm having fun. So . . .
Root ball came out surprisingly easy and seems to have a fair amount of roots inside about 3 foot x 4 foot x 18 inch root ball.
View attachment 338432
How long did it take to dig? Keep us updated. Interested in seeing your progress!

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How long did it take to dig? Keep us updated. Interested in seeing your progress!
Spent about 2 hours digging a around. About another hour loading and tying down (with a backhoe to do the heavy lifting).
I will keep you posted.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's 11.25 cubic feet, 700 lbs with a specific gravity of 1. Without the tree. You get the prize for audacity.
Yes, very heavy. I am finding new ways to handle a tree. Finding good information on this thread.
Also, I cut the corners to make an octagon which brings the volume to about 9.6 cubic feet. And it looks like I may be able to get it into a bit shallower container.
Still, looking at (14) 5 gallon buckets of mix.
I will take pictures with the cherry picker I am using.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a special category of bonsai スチームショベル

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The looks on the faces of the people in the background says it all.

Hoist it with some pulleys over a Large tree branch. Or Steel beam if you have any around.

Do these guys graft well?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This is sooo bad ass!!!!
I keep trying DAS and keep killing them.
I still believe they can make nice bonsai.
And this could make one hell of a garden feature! Props! I hope it fairs well.
Good luck, I’m sure you will give the best aftercare possible now that you’ve gone this far.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I also know of an old suspension bridge around here that just got torn down. You know, if your looking for training wire.
🤣

Top Bottom