monster pink pixie bougainvillea

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sam,

Very nice progress and excellent carving. In your experience, does Pixie Bougie heal over major chops like that or are those chops forever deadwood features? :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it is amazing that it has not rotted regardless of treatment. I doubt I would have the same luck in the North East honest.

Grimmy

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
hi dario

cuts the size I needed to make on the pixie will never callous over in my life time. the cuts are incorporated into the design so the newly created deadwood is treated as soon as possible.

for grimlore
preserving dead softwood in our warm, humid climate is a definitely a challenge. if you don't keep on top of it, its gone.

happy holidays to you guys, sam

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
cuts the size I needed to make on the pixie will never callous over in my life time. the cuts are incorporated into the design so the newly created deadwood is treated as soon as possible.

preserving dead softwood in our warm, humid climate is a definitely a challenge. if you don't keep on top of it, its gone.

happy holidays to you guys, sam
Sam, I have read that different people use different wood preservatives. Needing to do a bit of preservation on a bougie I recently got, what do you recommend? I saw a can of what looked like Minwax brand early in this thread. Is that what you use? Or is the key not so much what you use, but that you use it regularly?
thanks for all the great pics and inspiration to get a stump myself

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sam, I have read that different people use different wood preservatives. Needing to do a bit of preservation on a bougie I recently got, what do you recommend? I saw a can of what looked like Minwax brand early in this thread. Is that what you use? Or is the key not so much what you use, but that you use it regularly?
thanks for all the great pics and inspiration to get a stump myself

Lordy,

I think the more important step is the burning/charring of the deadwood before applying the wood preserver. Let's wait for Sam's response on this.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sam, I have read that different people use different wood preservatives. Needing to do a bit of preservation on a bougie I recently got, what do you recommend?

Minwax wood hardener is fine for a bougie. I heard this from Eric Wigert who I would say knows plenty about this species.

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lordy,

I think the more important step is the burning/charring of the deadwood before applying the wood preserver. Let's wait for Sam's response on this.
Perfect idea. Let's wait for Sam's response. Just what I was doing.... And thank you for...posting again. I appreciate your confidence...in Sam's ability to answer my question. I figured he could answer me too. Kinda why I asked him.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Minwax wood hardener is fine for a bougie. I heard this from Eric Wigert who I would say knows plenty about this species.
Thanks, NYbonsai12. The reputation of Eric as knowledgeable bonsai grower means something. His experience means there is practical background, not just "I think this should work, but be sure to test for yourself. Just my opinion". That really IS important to me and my trees. I dont want to trust trial and error.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
likely, every grower of bougainvillea and other softwood species, has his/her own technique to preserve deadwood. the bottom line is, if whatever you do works, then stick with whatever that is.. I don't think there is a BEST technique. a lot depends on where you live. climatic factors like seasonal changes, temperature, rainfall, humidity, make a difference. most important is the condition of the deadwood as you begin to work on the tree. if you create new deadwood from live tissue, your deadwood can be surprisingly durable. if rot is advanced at the outset, especially if it goes deep inside the trunk, all the punky wood needs to be removed down to hard wood or the decay will continue to the point where your tree is a goner.

this is what I do. allow the deadwood to air dry after you carve and sand. torch the wood to further dry and harden then wire brush to remove loose ash and fibers. saturate the wood with oil based stain, sometimes several coats. allow sufficient dry time then treat with wood preservative. teak oil, tung oil, minwax wood hardener, thin super glue and other similar products all work. currently I use carpenters glue diluted with water to facilitate application. the glue drys clear, stays somewhat elastic, and seems quite durable, especially if one applys several coats.

regular followups are vital. hope this helps.

best wishes, sam

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thanks Sam. The type of "canvas you have to paint on" makes sense. My older stump is a bit punky, and had ants when it arrived to me. The ants are now gone, but I need to address the condition of the deadwood. But first I want to allow the vigor to increase, as it doesnt need another insult right now after being shipped halfway across the country. I'll clean away any soft stuff and see where we are at that point.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
bonsai pot for pixie

today the big pixie went from plastic tray to bonsai pot. unfortunately the pot is too small which disallowed the trunk to be further inclined to the right. not really pleased with the upright position . this'll have to do for now until the right pot comes along

best wishes, sam

DSC06074.jpgDSC06072.jpgDSC06080.jpg

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
progress - pink pixie raw material

the canopy is beginning to grow, softening the harsh appearance of the trunk and distracting the eye from the too upright planting angle. the plan is to build a wide rounded canopy more in proportion to the massive wood. - filling the glaringly large open space in front of the mid/upper part of the trunk with layered foliage. the developing shoot on the front of the trunk is the first step in the right direction.

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC06296.jpg
    DSC06296.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC06304.jpg
    DSC06304.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC06295.jpg
    DSC06295.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 77

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great plan Sam! The tree is coming along very nicely.

That pot seems a couple sizes too small...is there still soil in there? :p LOL I know pots for this size tree must be very expensive and hard to find.

Don't know how you do it but large bonsai trees are back breakers for me and I don't have nearly as massive as yours. :)

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
ayyy, dario.

the tree was just potted in this largest colored pot I have, but you're right- the pot is way too small. there is soil in there, but not enough considering the size of the tree. the secret to moving these things and for that matter to be able to hike, climb and dig, is to go to the gym (seriously). age is catching up, but for now, I'm holding my own.

best wishes, sam

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
so bougie don't need many roots to grow? I was not sure about collection techniques on these.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
progress biggest pink pixie

development of my monster pixie continues. the canopy shape improves month by month. I need shoots to grow and develop into branches on the left side. the tree has its own mind and will grow or not grow what I need. meanwhile, the big project today involved carving the bottom right of the trunk to improve movement and taper.

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC07129.jpg
    DSC07129.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC07125.jpg
    DSC07125.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC07122.jpg
    DSC07122.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC07123.jpg
    DSC07123.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC07118.jpg
    DSC07118.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 71

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
more

done for now

Attachments

• DSC07132.jpg
    DSC07132.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC07133.jpg
    DSC07133.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC07134.jpg
    DSC07134.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 80

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looking back at the photos of you collecting this big bad beast...I am in awe of how much root was taken. Reading how they hate their roots disturbed. Though...I would imagine that with one this age...and how large the main root system is. The small delicate root system isn't as important.

Love what your doing with it...just lovely.

amazing how the lack of roots was no problem... even with his weather it is impresive comeback from almost 0 roots

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's the nature of Bougies... you can cut them off ground level and re-root them from any size. Most anything else... well.... regardless of where you are trees don't react well to that kind of treatment to say the least. :)

V

Top Bottom