Montreal Botanical Garden Trip

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I went to Montreal two weeks ago. The actual botanical garden was nice but nothing I would consider special.
The bonsai display, however, was fantastic.
I have looked at some of the trees online without realizing they were on display in the Montreal Garden.
I was elated when I saw them in person and spent a long time, much to my wife's dismay, going from tree to tree and back again.
Here are the pics I took. Nothing professional but just for enjoyment and reference.
Some of the maples
Acer Palmatum 60yo.JPG
DSC08818.JPG
DSC08820.JPG

One of my all time favourite bonsai plantings. This maple forest. I spent a good deal of time staring at it.
DSC08813.JPG

Main trunk branching
DSC08814.JPG

The base and pot
DSC08815.JPG

A side view which I had not seen before
DSC08819.JPG

Attachments

• DSC08851.JPG
    DSC08851.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC08847.JPG
    DSC08847.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC08848.JPG
    DSC08848.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 16

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The fact that every pot is wired to the display top seems to say that it is quite windy there. Never though of Montreal being the Chicago ('windy city') of Canada.
Perhaps to control the turntables for position as well:cool:. And perhaps the five finger discount, grab and run sales:eek:.
Beautiful Trees on display. Love the Tridents.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Years ago, on the GardenWeb forums, someone stated that the Montreal Botanic Garden has acer palmatum growing as part of their collection (in ground). I could never understand how that could be possible with their winter lows......perhaps a tree that was moved into a protected location in the winter.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
The fact that every pot is wired to the display top seems to say that it is quite windy there. Never though of Montreal being the Chicago ('windy city') of Canada.

It was in an enclosed area. I thought it was so that if some immature or uncoordinated person tapped or knocked the pot it would stay on the bench. It can get quite busy in there when the weather is nice.

Perhaps to control the turntables for position as well:cool:. And perhaps the five finger discount, grab and run sales:eek:.
Beautiful Trees on display. Love the Tridents.
That seems very likely as well.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Years ago, on the GardenWeb forums, someone stated that the Montreal Botanic Garden has acer palmatum growing as part of their collection (in ground). I could never understand how that could be possible with their winter lows......perhaps a tree that was moved into a protected location in the winter.

Japanese maples are somewhat common as ornemental garden trees here. I'm not sure they like our winters, but they tough them out. We've had lows of -20F last January.

By the way, here is the blog Matthew Quinn, the current curator of the MBG bonsai and penjing collection, wrote for a few years. All content available in English, tons of good stuff, esp. on penjing techniques:
https://bonsaiquinn.wordpress.com/

D

Deleted member 21616

Did you mean an acer palmatum as bonsai, or just a free growing acer palmatum?

There is an indoor area, where bonsai (and other plants, and fish) are kept all year. Photo taken from internet.

It's where we took our wedding photos :)

D

Attachments

• lots-of-bonsai.jpg
    lots-of-bonsai.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 13

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are more likely anti-theft cables.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those are more likely anti-theft cables.
I don't think so. Far too easy to just slide the works to one side and bye-bye. Two cables, one on each side of the trunk would be far more effective if this were the purpose. I only see two cables in only a couple instances - a cascade and a literati-ish larch and these suggest 'windy city' reasons.

@Riversedgebonsai suggested it was to control the turntables position, which makes sense to me, but what's with a turn table under every tree? Somehow it is a standard for displays there - wouldn't a simple plastic 'cutting board' do the job, I ask myself. Despite the extremely nice collection of bonsai on display, I am most interested in WTF is with turntables and cables? It must be an interesting story and I want to hear it!! :mad::) @cockroach.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think so. Far too easy to just slide the works to one side and bye-bye. Two cables, one on each side of the trunk would be far more effective if this were the purpose. I only see two cables in only a couple instances - a cascade and a literati-ish larch and these suggest 'windy city' reasons.

@Riversedgebonsai suggested it was to control the turntables position, which makes sense to me, but what's with a turn table under every tree? Somehow it is a standard for displays there - wouldn't a simple plastic 'cutting board' do the job, I ask myself. Despite the extremely nice collection of bonsai on display, I am most interested in WTF is with turntables and cables? It must be an interesting story and I want to hear it!! :mad::) @cockroach.
They are anti theft cables with what look to be sensors attached to the cables underneath the tables. The point is not tying them down, but in moving the cable itself.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I feel much better now :D:cool:
Thank you.

But I still want to know about the cables (sometime). Apparently something similar is done at the National Arboretum
They are anti theft cables with what look to be sensors attached to the cables underneath the tables. The point is not tying them down, but in moving the cable itself.
Nothing of the sort went on there last time I visited, but it was a long time ago. Nevertheless, why do tall trees in narrow pots get two cables and ones in low wide pots get only one?

Alas, enough debate/conjecture. Next time you visit, @cockroach. Meanwhile, more pix if there are any. These are really nice pix of really nice trees. I have no idea why I've never been to Montreal - it is an especially vexing question now.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
@0soyoung There are a few more pics.
Don't know if I will be going anytime soon again. But if I do, then I will be sure to ask because now you all have me wanting to know as well.

DSC08880.JPGDSC08881.JPGDSC08882.JPGDSC08883.JPGDSC08884.JPGDSC08885.JPGDSC08925.JPGDSC08926.JPG
Pinus thunbergii 65yo.JPG

I liked the bottom right branch on this tree growing in the garden.
DSC08804.JPG

Top Bottom