Most if not all my trees have wire scars

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Knowing about it and understanding it as a tool are 2 different things.

I don't expect you to understand.

Sorce
Lol!!!

You are unbelievable!

Seriously dude, you need professional help.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol!!!

You are unbelievable!

Seriously dude, you need professional help.

So are the Pyramids, Easter Island, and that new place in Turkey.....

Most great things are unbelievable.

Have you considered professional help for your Narcissism?

I'd be more willing to help you with it than just call you out for it.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So are the Pyramids, Easter Island, and that new place in Turkey.....

Most great things are unbelievable.

Have you considered professional help for your Narcissism?

I'd be more willing to help you with it than just call you out for it.

Sorce
Dude, I’m not the one begging 235 strangers for $1000 loans.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude, I’m not the one begging 235 strangers for $1000 loans.

Call it what you will.

Everyone can read how your reading comprehension is that of a half brain dead 4 year old.

Sorce

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Only if you are too impatient to do it another way.

Sorce
Wiring does speed up the styling of a tree by multiple times vs clip and grow. Kyuzo Murata didn’t wire much at all, but styling took likely 3x as long. I happen to be an advocate for not using wire for some species and styles, given that sometimes the trees I like only have a handful of small branches. I can tell if a tree has been made fast or slow. The slow grown ones are my favorites.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wiring does speed up the styling of a tree by multiple times vs clip and grow. Kyuzo Murata didn’t wire much at all, but styling took likely 3x as long. I happen to be an advocate for not using wire for some species and styles, given that sometimes the trees I like only have a handful of small branches. I can tell if a tree has been made fast or slow. The slow grown ones are my favorites.

Lotta other goings ons has me feeling bad I pull you out of the woodwork.

This is however, one of the reasons you stay one of the best humans in Bonsai!

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
18g is really thin. If you are putting hard movement in small seedlings, use a larger wire. It wont cut into soft young tissue so fast.

There is no reason there should be any wire on any seedlings “branches” unless you are making a small shohin or mame.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
18g is really thin. If you are putting hard movement in small seedlings, use a larger wire. It wont cut into soft young tissue so fast.

There is no reason there should be any wire on any seedlings “branches” unless you are making a small shohin or mame.
The reason is these few dozen seedlings I had in a pail were the most accessible trees to "learn" / mess with. I am finding that I value the shohin and mame trees I encounter (online).

I take this advice that I should be using larger wire. I may get something a little heavier.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is also these pines that people leave wire in, looks whack to me.

But then I was thinking about taking a poplar and purposefully leaving some electric fence wire against it so it grows into the bark and you have a black and yellow twist coming through. Sort of an homage to the prairies.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've taken the wire off of everything. But I wired a small flowering almond that is currently in front of my front door. This is about the highest traffic location I've got and if I can't monitor it here perhaps I should abandon wire.

Wiring and watching tree A will tell you nothing about what is going on with tree B.

You need to go look at each tree every day or so and see what is going on with each one.

Tree A might have wire biting in but if you only look at tree B you won't see what's really happening with A.

If you have too many trees to keep track of, get rid of some until you have a number you can keep up with

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paradox and Leatherback get it. It is very simple. Don't wire unless you are going to monitor your trees.
It really is just that simple.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree A might have wire biting in but if you only look at tree B you won't see what's really happening with A.
I will make it worse. Tree A might have wire biting in on one branch, but not on the rest.

Bonsai is a hobby with a need for patience. But also structure. You need to do certain things at the right time to get optimal results. There is a reason why relatively few younger people are in it. It often does not fit in with having kids, a full time job, holidays and weekends with the family. If you have these things in life, you need to be realistic about what you can acheive with bonsai. (Which is still perfectly doable but you need to allot some time every week to check upon your trees, and every day to water. Depending on the number, size and level of tree you have this may vary from a few minutes to several hours)

Top Bottom