My biggest black pine.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May 21st and needles just barely beginning to emerge off the candle. But at least the candles are 4-7 inches tall. Some pictures in a bit. Overnights just beginning to get out of the 40's. I wonder if the slightly cooler weather in my area might be the cause for me, possibly your local' as well?
It’s def been cooler here, just starting to see consistent 60s. Not sure why candles aren’t bigger but they have never been long as long as I’ve owned it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It’s def been cooler here, just starting to see consistent 60s. Not sure why candles aren’t bigger but they have never been long as long as I’ve owned it.
I think the consistent energy balancing techniques you've been using for the last few years are paying off... the ramification and consistency in candle strength throughout the canopy is saying this tree is really becoming refined. Nice job! With that being said, it's never a bad idea to skip de-candling if the health of the tree is in question. Either way, you should be loading up the feed for this one right now if you haven't already started.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

DSC00899.JPG DSC00900.JPG DSC00901.JPG

Are you planning to pinch off the most vigorous to have all candles the same length or just the most vigorous?

Your JBP lookin' fine!🤘

If you were curious, I might just wait until mid-June and do a serious prune job or the alternative is a bigger fall wack-job!

I'm having some fun with this thing!

Enjoy the weekend, your a champion!💪

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the consistent energy balancing techniques you've been using for the last few years are paying off... the ramification and consistency in candle strength throughout the canopy is saying this tree is really becoming refined. Nice job! With that being said, it's never a bad idea to skip de-candling if the health of the tree is in question. Either way, you should be loading up the feed for this one right now if you haven't already started.
Thanks Dav.
I guess I wouldnt say the health of the tree is in question overall, just some concerns about leggy branching and areas with weaker buds. I’ve been fertilizing well. I guess I’m just looking for more vigor to be comfortable with decandling and hopefully some backbudding in the leggier areas pictures. will see how things look over next few weeks, I gave it the year off from decandling last year and Was hoping to be able to proceed with it this season.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 376202 View attachment 376203 View attachment 376204

Are you planning to pinch off the most vigorous to have all candles the same length or just the most vigorous?

Your JBP lookin' fine!🤘

If you were curious, I might just wait until mid-June and do a serious prune job or the alternative is a bigger fall wack-job!

I'm having some fun with this thing!

Enjoy the weekend, your a champion!💪
I wasn’t planning on breaking any candles on this one. Guess I’ll see how things go over next few weeks before any decisions are made. Yours is looking super fat and happy and ready for some work! wow!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wasn’t planning on breaking any candles on this one. Guess I’ll see how things go over next few weeks before any decisions are made. Yours is looking super fat and happy and ready for some work! wow!

Ahh, man I'm sorry. I've got your two threads mixed up. No, this tree displayed in this thread does not need fiddling with candles. I'll pose the question in the appropriate thread.

I'm at work, it's getting in the way of a coherent bonsai conversation!!! ;)
😆

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 376202 View attachment 376203 View attachment 376204

You dont generally pinch candles on the first flush of a JBP because you usually are going to cut them off any way when you decandle that first flush.
However in a case where there is a year when the tree wont be decandled because it was repotted that spring, yes you might want to pinch the stongest ones if you have some really strong ones. Usually repotting slows the tree down enough you dont get very strong candles but it can happen.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Candles extending. gonna have to decide in decandling soon! Whaddaya think @Brian Van Fleet? Would you decandle?9BB9F007-855C-4BA2-B6BB-2916A6D2FF94.jpegF3E4B9B7-EC67-4506-AEDE-F5FE64E8D1B6.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not wishing to diminish anything Brian says or practices but you ought to see if you can get Adair to have a conversation with you. I have seen his JBP close up and personal and it's magnificent, his display growth is as short as my Mugos's.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I might decandle the apex of the tree only. The rest seems to be a little weak, and a little congested already. In the fall, prune I’d prune and wire.
@Vance Wood, what a remarkable lack of social skills.
If being honest is a remarkable lack of social skills then I am guilty. Adair's JBP is the best ramified with the shortest needles I have ever seen on a JPB any where any time. I know he has a specifec method for doing this tree that I cannot remember enough of the finer details to share without being wrong. If this offends you I am sorry, it seems we are bound to rub each other the wrong way.

My tree donation as per thread qualifications.
DSC_0345.JPGMy

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Progression update. Skipped decandling entirely this year, just fed and watered.

My plan or at least I think my plan is to give this one a decent cutback And wire out in the next few weeks. Some lower branches have gotten leggy and I feel certain areas have become too crowded. Cutting back to weaker interior growth makes me nervous but I think it will need to be done.

I think I will also need to repot next spring because I’m not happy with how the tree is centered front to back. There are some larger roots on the back causing it to be more forward in the pot that I’ve been hesitant to remove. I think this had negatively affected growth in the front of the tree. I think it should be able to handle all the work, but big changes always give me the sweats until I know it’s on the clear.
D307198B-0211-4C03-9909-2118825DDAFC.jpeg17AE57BB-07C0-4367-AD40-94CB944F2AD8.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do you consider doing another sacrifice branch? It looks thin to me, Maybe 1 or 2 more rounds of sacrifice branch while maintaining inner buds, will do the job.
The nebari looks promising on the picture.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you consider doing another sacrifice branch? It looks thin to me, Maybe 1 or 2 more rounds of sacrifice branch while maintaining inner buds, will do the job.
The nebari looks promising on the picture.
Haven’t given any thought to a sacrifice branch at this stage. Trunk is about 2.5-3 inches thick about two inches above nebari. Nebari is ok…leaves something to be desired, especially on the front.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Decandled this summer. it’s doing ok. Shortly after last years needles turned brown and yellow, some Looked like needle cast some looked like maybe heat stress. I’ve been plucking them off little by little. Will likely wire in a month or so.

IMG_7451.jpeg

Top Bottom