My collected quince

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A year ago to date I collected a crabapple. While taking that crab, I spotted a quince flower buried among tall grass (maybe 3 feet). I asked the owner if I can dig it too and I was told to go ahead. She wasn't even aware that there is plant there and will be cleared soon anyway.

This is the crabapple dig site and the quince is at the left of it but the grass is similar to that shown on the background...
View attachment 30564

Here is the quince as collected...(02/03/2012)
View attachment 30565

It was about 10" wide clump and I had to remove a lot of dead branches to have some space and allow it to "breath". Most of the branches are dead and some of the live ones died too.

Here it is now after a year (02/03/2013)...with a solitary flower bud. :eek: Looking forward it opening.
View attachment 30566

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow,alota trunks to work with there.good luck.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most are dead trunks...I have maybe 1 descent sized and 4 new shoots. :(

All these were buried in thick clay when I collected this actually. I still wonder how it survived.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're going to have an interesting time working with this clump to get a presentable tree. The dead and rotten trunks can be both a blessing and a curse. I've been working with a clump collected under similar circumstances for over 7 years. It took me awhile to figure out what would work. But, it was a fun 7 years! Enjoy your trip.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Fred!

I thought about that and the main reason why this look so short now. The main shoot was chopped a few times last year...otherwise it would probably be 3 feet long already. I hope it sends more shoots from below to fill all the deadwood area. Otherwise, I plan on taking cuttings and plant them between the crevices. The deadwood are still untreated and I plan on on letting some of them rot away in years. Some will be treated though.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice color. You could have a very nice tree here. Let us know how many of those trunks grow out.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at this "tree" again, it just occurred to me that with all of those dead trunks, the one good live trunk, and some shoots in the midst of it all, you could have a really interesting desert "scene", where the dead trunks remain intact for a long period of time because climate and environment conditions do not facilitate rapid rot. Just a thought.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking at this "tree" again, it just occurred to me that with all of those dead trunks, the one good live trunk, and some shoots in the midst of it all, you could have a really interesting desert "scene", where the dead trunks remain intact for a long period of time because climate and environment conditions do not facilitate rapid rot. Just a thought.

Thanks. There are actually several shoots coming from under the ground...whether they are from the same trunk I am not sure yet. I did spread some of the branches as well. The entire clump you see used to be totally buried in clay.

I am still letting the deadwood age then treat them to slow the rotting. It will be tricky since I have to treat under as well and do not want to compromise the root system. If anyone have a good idea how to do it safely, I am all ears.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This baby gave me another flower...at the very same spot! :cool: LOL

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This quince started growing new leaves last week and have a lot now. I am in TX and we may have another month of mild weather but will these new growth need protection from freezing temps?

Thanks!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I take it the quince was in bloom when you noticed it?

Yes, it had a few on the thin straight branches which are almost 4 feet long. It was dug February so this is about 20 months old in its container now. It seems getting stronger. I actually had to damage lots of roots when I relocated it 2 weeks ago (to get more sun) because the roots escaped and colonized the empty pot I placed it on top of. It was about a good 5" root ball each from 2 drain holes. The plant showed some wilting the following day but bounced back the day after and started growing like crazy since. :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Your new leaves need time to harden before frost, so yes it would be good if the quince was
kept protected from anything below 33 F.
One of my newbees that I am mentoring, recently purchased a quince from a distressed table nursery sale and it began producing new leaves and blooms. he called to report his good luck and i had to tell him
to remove all flower buds but one to enjoy as the drain on the tree at this time would not be good.
I did pick up a red as well at a distress sale but it has done nothing. I have it buried in it's nursery pot in the soil with a covering of bark around it, concerned only to protect its roots.
good rule of thumb to remember when moving subjects into protected areas during extreme
weather. Plants that are green need to be near a window for light, while deciduous, totally
bare can be placed in the dark. If more than a few days check moisture. Even deciduous should only be in the dark for short periods especially as we near spring as length of day and light intensity prepare the tree's timetable to ready itself to produce timely new buds.

I haven't counted the number of quince i have recently but it's pretty close to 40 plants. I have a few single trunks but really enjoy the clump or kabudachi style. Always seem to have great luck with japanese flowering and for some reason don't seem to be able to get my chinese quince to bloom. My absolute favorite is the dwarf chojubai.

I enjoy finding pots with great contrasts with the blooms. I have an orange bloomer that i rescued that went into so dark a blue pot that it initially looked black. nice!
behind ume (apricot) quince is the second to bloom in the spring, gloriously announcing
spring to weary of winter beings. good luck with yours. next year you'll need to learn how to fertilize and when to knock off nitrogen in the fall and go with just the last 2 numbers to build the blooms up for 2015.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I have some Jap. Quince that are in the ground. 3. Planted spring '12. No problems at all leaving out all winter here in zone 4.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Chris. I am inclined to leave it out, but we usually only have a dozen days or so of freezing temps here so it won't be too much work to bring it in on those days. It is just "fragile" looking esp with the new growth (still going actually) so I'll baby it one last season. :)

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What is with this plant? I just noticed last night another (single) flower (half wilting already)...on the same spot! :confused: I didn't notice it since it bushed a bit already and was facing away from my vantage point.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IS the right side of the quince dead? did seem to be doing too much previously.

Most of what you see from the initial collection are dead (some died). The last pic w/ flowers shows about 1 old + 2 new shoots...it has more now so it is getting better but can still use more. I'll hope and wait.

I'll try to snap an update pic this weekend and post. :)

Top Bottom