My First Monster and Meeting Mach5

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A while ago, I posted pictures of a giant Acer Palmatum that I bought as a birthday present for myself in the Fall. Multiple club members saw this piece of stock, and didn't pull the trigger because of its large size...I was crazy enough to go for it! I arranged for Sergio Cuan @MACH5 to work with myself and two other club members at my house. He really liked the piece of material, and couldn't believe I bought it from a big box store! After a lengthy discussion, he and I decided to play it safe since we did not know the kind of care it was given the previous season. We did most of our work to the roots, and only removed one branch from the tree (leaving a small stump behind for it to compartmentalize).
IMG_1358.jpg IMG_1359.jpg IMG_1360.jpg IMG_1361.jpg

This tree got a similar treatment to his giant European Hornbeam (which is documented on the forum). About 2/3 of the rootball was removed with a handsaw, pickaxe, and reciprocating saw (which was quite a chore!!!). Afterwards, the roots were loosened with a spike and the tree was planted in a wooden grow box filled with pumice, and topped with sphagnum moss. This will be stored in my temperature controlled shed until Spring. Believe it, or not, we got all this done in only four hours!!!
IMG_1362.jpg IMG_1364.jpg IMG_1389.jpg IMG_1390.jpg

Going forward, this tree is going to get plenty water, fertilizer, sun, and TLC! Once it pushes lots of growth, we will work on the top of the tree next year. We discussed an idea for its design, but that will be saved for later... Sergio is a great guy, and has an amazing eye for detail! I had a great time, and am very grateful for all of his help/guidance on this maple, as well as the other trees I had in my collection. We had good meals, good homebrew, good conversation about bonsai and good laughs! I recommend him to everyone and hope to see him soon in the future!

-Sal

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sergio also worked on a challenging piece of material at my club (Deep Cut Bonsai Society) and brought along his gorgeous Arikawa JM. His discussion/demo was informative and very well done! We were lucky to have him! Pictures from the event are in the 2019 Gallery below:

https://deepcutbonsaiclub.org/2019-events

Cheers!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Sal. It was a real pleasure meeting you and the rest of the Deep Cut Bonsai Society. I had a wonderful day mainly just watching you sweating that maple out!! :p

I look forward to next time! ;) Keep us posted on the maple. Still can't believe it's from HD!! Pictures don't do this monster justice.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He’s a great guy, full of knowledge and energy! I’m a novice and went to a workshop with him. I took a $20 spruce from HD...fire pit material actually, and he turned it into something that will be a decent tree in the coming years. I learned a lot that day...

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your hospitality Sal!
Sergio was really patient and helpful. He gave some much needed attention and direction on my recently air layered Sharps Pygmy and Beni Maiko Japanese maple. Lots of bonsai fun for sure!:) Seeing Sergio's Arakawa and the information on root grafting has motivated me to do a few root grafts on my other JMs. Thank you!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you Sal. It was a real pleasure meeting you and the rest of the Deep Cut Bonsai Society. I had a wonderful day mainly just watching you sweating that maple out!! :p

I look forward to next time! ;) Keep us posted on the maple. Still can't believe it's from HD!! Pictures don't do this monster justice.

The pleasure was all ours! I still have aches from that tree, lol!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for your hospitality Sal!
Sergio was really patient and helpful. He gave some much needed attention and direction on my recently air layered Sharps Pygmy and Beni Maiko Japanese maple. Lots of bonsai fun for sure!:) Seeing Sergio's Arakawa and the information on root grafting has motivated me to do a few root grafts on my other JMs. Thank you!

Great meeting you Johnny! Glad you enjoyed the workshop. It was certainly fun for me. There is so much information to give out that it's impossible to do it all in a few hours. I think workshops are a far better and effective learning tool `than demos.

And yes, thank you Sal for having us over. Lunch was great as well as the beer!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A few things you may not know about Sergio... He doesn't like IPAs (he does drink Shiner Boch!) and he prefers leather shoes that are too pointy. Despite these character flaws, he's pretty good people! Looks like you all had a great day... let's see a full on pick of that maple!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is so much information to give out that it's impossible to do it all in a few hours. I think workshops are a far better and effective learning tool `than demos.

Koji said the same thing at Great Swamp in October. Demos are entertaining, but you have to do bonsai to learn it. I completely agree!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A dislike of IPAs only demonstrates the man’s refined taste.?

We had my multi award winning Imperial Stout to cap off the day! I am the exact same way, I like balance in my beer. If a beer is bitter and hoppy, it has to have malt backbone to support it. That IS is just as bitter as an IPA, but the malt sweetness and water chemistry balances the astringency.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A few things you may not know about Sergio... He doesn't like IPAs (he does drink Shiner Boch!) and he prefers leather shoes that are too pointy. Despite these character flaws, he's pretty good people! Looks like you all had a great day... let's see a full on pick of that maple!

Character flaws?? Sad... so sad, I feel like you just don't know me anymore Dave :(

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We had my multi award winning Imperial Stout to cap off the day! I am the exact same way, I like balance in my beer. If a beer is bitter and hoppy, it has to have malt backbone to support it. That IS is just as bitter as an IPA, but the malt sweetness and water chemistry balances the astringency.
I have been known to lay waste to an imperial stout or two... good beer comes in all different forms... just like bonsai?.

Top Bottom