My new Ume

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing to See Here

This is what I get for removing my stuff. Here is the ume as I bought it in 2007:

Ume1.jpg

ume%20front.jpg

ume%20top.jpg

The following spring (2008) I repotted:

P1011413a.jpg

P1011414a.jpg

P1011415a.jpg

This year the leader suffered during the storm damage we had in spring, but I decided to let it go.

For more info, you can go to either of these links:
http://sashi-no-eda.blogspot.com/search/label/Ume

http://bonsaistudygroup.com/fruiting-and-flowering-bonsai-discussion/ume/

Last edited:

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Chris..It is nice to see a Prunus Mume posted. My own experience with these trees is that wiring is useful - but it does tend to cause wire scars as you note - because Prunus in general is such a fast growing tree. OK..the wire scars go away - but the thin green tender bark on new growth seems to get a brown fuzzy appearance [from the wire scar] soon after the new growth hardens off - it's ok and not too bad to look at - but I am not sure how this affects the overall health of the tree. The downside with Prunus is the dam fungal problems...

I use a clip and grow method allowing the branches to grow out and then prune back to a bud which causes a new spurt of growth - this as you know - will allow the branch to change direction...

Your tree -in the middle section- has the remains of sacriface branches used to create a fat trunk - I am guessing of course this is where you will carve.....

These trees look there best from late fall until flowering and new bud set. Once Spring and Summer hit they take on the shaggy dog look - branches and leaves everywhere. If you over prune the ume in Spring/Summer - you will cut back and remove the branches that are expected to flower in early spring of the following year. The best time to prune is in mid to late fall - then you can see the difference between a flower bud and a leaf bud....

They do have their own style as a tree goes - meaning often a deadwood section with this cage-like structure of branches that the flowers hang from. It will be fun to watch this one develop - good luck....

Tom

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Chris. Just wonderig if you had any history of this plant from Boon. It looks like a plant that Boon bought from Andy Swanson during the 2003 GSBF convention in Fresno. If it is it was probably grown out by Ripsgreentree. If it is it will have a good root ball under it. I know I saw most of them.

Good growing, Al

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This could be your blossom color if it is.

Attachments

• DSC_00301.JPG
    DSC_00301.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_003311.JPG
    DSC_003311.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 215

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, what beautiful examples of flowering trees. Is it my imagination or do prunus species receive less attention in the US than they deserve?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
HAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA Oh KC... I KNEW there was no way you were going to come away from that trip without a tree.... :D

I look forward to seeing your carve work on it.... I like it very much... you will have the potential to do something truly interesting with that upper right portion of the trunk... maybe sabamiki?? Not a lot... the crown you'll get being the thing... but for visiual interest I think that would be fun... as well as reducing some of it's mass... and in winter.... it would be lovely.

And of course... my thought is always tempered by the fact that a three dimensional tree is being looked at in a two dimensional formant. What size is this tree?

Yours as ever,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
KC.... Nice size on the tree!!! Enough to have room to work, not so large it's daunting...lol My 3 foot hinoki makes me get all cross-eyed when I think about pinching it and wiring it... hahhahahhahaha

I will have to make a point of getting to a Boon class later this year so I can go to the winter one like you did and help get the trees ready... that would be a blast. (big smile)

Yours,

Victrinia

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Chris and Barry...I have a few thoughts as to why we don't see more Prunus Mume here in the US...
First I think we need to understand that in Japan - these trees are part of their New Years Celebration...ie. the flowering tree as a precursor to Spring. So there is an abundance of growers and trees, plus they drink a plum type wine - so there is commercial value as well. With the abundance of trees and material of varying quality - it is no wonder that some one thought of placing one in a pot some time in the past...

Here in the US - almost 99% of all Prunus grown commercially are for either general landscape or for food - hence almost 99% of all trees available are grafted - and grafted quite high and ugly. Only a few people graft specifically for bonsai and do the grafts low...

There are very few growers in general that grow prunus sp. just for bonsai and I bet most are concentrated in California.

There are native plums - such as Prunus Americana [American Wild Plum] and Prunus Besseyi [Western Sand Cherry] that are native and perhaps we should be trying to work with these as bonsai material. I have a few of the sand cherry in the ground and they are coming along - although the leaves are a little large for my taste.

As I mentioned in my original post - Prunus are a tree to be appreciated in Fall, Winter and Early Spring - almost the opposite months of appreciation for most bonsai growers...

As an added bonus when they do flower - the scent of the blossom is quite aromatic and can quickly fill up a small room....

Tom

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
There are native plums - such as Prunus Americana [American Wild Plum] and Prunus Besseyi [Western Sand Cherry] that are native and perhaps we should be trying to work with these as bonsai material. I have a few of the sand cherry in the ground and they are coming along - although the leaves are a little large for my taste.

As I mentioned in my original post - Prunus are a tree to be appreciated in Fall, Winter and Early Spring - almost the opposite months of appreciation for most bonsai growers...

As an added bonus when they do flower - the scent of the blossom is quite aromatic and can quickly fill up a small room....

Tom

I have been admiring some local (to me) chickasaw plums (prunus angustifolia) and thought they may be nice subjects. Brent gave some good tidbitsw about prunus when he stopped in at Schley's last month and had a look at a pretty nice chickasaw at the nursery. I have found some wild ones and now need to come up with a dig plan.

Chris - sorry about the thread jack. I love your Ume - nice tree there. The first time I saw photos of this species I wanted one. Not sure how they would do in my area.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Tom

Interestingly winter is also considered prime time for viewing bonsai in Japan... Because the structures of the trees can be so easily appreciated. I go to the Pacific Rim in winter and look at the trees in all their "naked" beauty, and I can see why this time is so loved in Japan for bonsai.

Kind regards,

Victrinia

redroo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hello Folks,

This is my very first posting to this forum [just discovered you on a Google hunt], and wanted to post you some pics of my Prunus mume [Japanese apricot], that is just finishing with its flowering, hope you enjoy.

redroo....Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Attachments

• Prunus mume (1).jpg
    Prunus mume (1).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Prunus mume (2).jpg
    Prunus mume (2).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Prunus mume (3).jpg
    Prunus mume (3).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Prunus mume (4).jpg
    Prunus mume (4).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 89

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is my very first posting to this forum [just discovered you on a Google hunt], and wanted to post you some pics of my Prunus mume [Japanese apricot], that is just finishing with its flowering, hope you enjoy.

Hiya Redroo and welcome to the BonsaiNut forums! Nice flowers!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Folks,

redroo....Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Redroo, thanks for your post and the beautiful photos. I am thinking mine will be dark pink, but I guess I have to wait a little for the branches to age some.

The leaf buds are swelling and beginning to elongate, the tree loves its south window perch. I could have kept it in the workshop longer, but we are in the middle of a big deep freeze and even inside it was frozen solid.

redroo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Gidday Chris,

Been thinking and looked again at your trees pics, came up with the conclusion that I'd remove about half of all of those branches, keeping only the thickest, and perhaps even shortening them a tad.

A deep pink, yep, just what Im looking for, ya lucky hmm hmm!

BTW, Prunus mume are rather rare over here in Holland, don't know about the States.

Another BTW, I grow mine in 100% akadama and it flourishes, shall be repotting it just before leaf buds begin to break, so shall be posting pics as the beautiful foliage developes.

Best regards,
redroo

Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are still pretty rare over here, too. I haven't repotted this one yet, my guess is it's in Boon's mix. Do you use hard akadama or soft?

redroo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
They are still pretty rare over here, too. I haven't repotted this one yet, my guess is it's in Boon's mix. Do you use hard akadama or soft?

Hi Chris,

Available akadama over here comes in three grades, and the one that I always use is the second grade which is hard enough to last three years without breaking down too severely.

As to all of those branches, the other thing I meant to mention was that you have created many curves, or so it appears to me, where I would suggest using slightly more angular bending, but then it is your tree and your decision.

Judging by the thickness of trunk, I am quite surprised that you have no flower buds.

Best regards,
redroo

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Chris,

Available akadama over here comes in three grades, and the one that I always use is the second grade which is hard enough to last three years without breaking down too severely.

As to all of those branches, the other thing I meant to mention was that you have created many curves, or so it appears to me, where I would suggest using slightly more angular bending, but then it is your tree and your decision.

Judging by the thickness of trunk, I am quite surprised that you have no flower buds.

Best regards,
redroo

The branches are all just about a year old, so perhaps not old enough to provide flowers yet. And don't think that this is my work, I just purchased this tree. It spent the last couple of years in Boon's back yard, and I believe this is one of his Intensive students' work.

redroo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Howdy Chris,

Sounds to me you think that I am criticisizing your work on your tree, sorry if you think that as no I am not, just trying to give you some friendly advice, which is always difficult when only being able to do so using whatever pics are available, as you well know.

Sorry dude, just don't know who Boon is, so that doesn't help, but I have learnt, that 'less is really more', especially with certain tree species, and your beautiful tree looks as tho' it's had a 'bad hair day', with all of those unecessary branches [that burn up so much of the tree's vigour] going every which way, reminds me of the Gorgon's head....LOL.

When I repot my tree [which has been neglected a tad] I shall be wiring the branches giving them a more horizontal feeling, and see what I can do about encouraging shorter branch development.

I've tracked down a source over here where I think that I can buy a deep-pink P.mume from, but in about a months time the greatset bonsai dealer in Holland, should I say Europe, is having there anual Spring sale, 40% discounts, on Japanese trees, so I might get lucky and get me a shohin mume or two, shall let you know.

Hope what I've been writing is proving of some help to you, anyhow I wish you the best of luck,
redroo

Top Bottom