My pomegranate collection

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has 3 flower buds at this time.
5.png

It is very difficult to guess which branch will give flower buds. People says the short branch will give flower bud. It is true but it does not mean short branch will bear flower buds!
The short branch
1.png

The long branch
2.png

This is my way to guess which branch will have flower. I use the length (L) to width (W) ratio of the leaves in the base of the branch.
- If L/W is > 2, chance of flower bud is none.
- If L/W is < 2, chance of flower bud is really high.
The higher number it has, the lower chance of flower bud it gets. I think the threshold is 2

Those leaves are at flower bud branch
3.png

Those leaves are at non -flower bud branch
4.png

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the single flower with it's perfect placement! It is your lantern tree :)
You are absolutely correct! :) It is rare to see the flower bud come straight down from the branch like this.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "Revered Teacher" is full of new shoots today.
4-2.png

New shoot
untitled.png

Will I prune them back at this time?
No. I will let them grow a little longer.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I wire this young shoot at this time?
1.png

Answer: No.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been waiting to see the flower on this one for over 6 years!!! I am so excited about it.
It was on 3/19/17
1.png 2.png

This afternoon. Ah, it is fruit type. It has 5 more flower buds at this time. I will not let bear fruit this year.
1.png 2.png
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has long upward shoots again.
Group A is needed to bring down.
I let the branch B be as it is to build up energy for this particular branch.
1.png

Instead of using wire to bring those branches down, I used my interlock technique which is much, much faster, safer and more natural!
After.
2.png

This is another pome with a lot of new upward shoots !
2.png

You can see a lot of secondary branches from the upward shoots. Why is that?
1.png

Time to bring those shoots down with interlock fashion.
Done in 2 minutes!
3.png

and this little one has a lot of flower this year.
1.png 2.png

Bonhe
Bonhe

Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading about your pomegranate trees. I have one (non-bonsai) in my front yard that just grew out of the ground by itself. I didn't know it was a pomegranate tree until a neighbor told me what it was. I have been taking good care of it since and it has been producing fruit for a year now. Is it much different to raise a Bonsai pomegranate than a regular tree? I've seen them for sale and I'm interested but just haven't had the courage...

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it much different to raise a Bonsai pomegranate than a regular tree? I've seen them for sale and I'm interested but just haven't had the courage...
The pomegranate is one of the hard to kill specimens for bonsai. However, it does not like the shallow container and if you let a lot of fruit grow on one branch, that branch will eventually die!
Don't buy it. You already have one landscape tree. Just choose whatever branch is suitable for design and make a cutting or airlayering from it. It is very easy to be propagated. Good luck.
Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Instead of using wire to bring those branches down, I used my interlock technique which is much, much faster, safer and more natural!... ...
I suppose I can figure out this interlock -more or less- It's probably something similar to what I am doing..., but I would greatly appreciate your explanatory description.
Thank you in advance!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
@bonhe When do you repot your poms? I bought a nice little nana from a big box store that I plan to grow as a house plant and it really needs moved into a bigger pot. Its covered in small buds and I'm worried repotting will make them drop.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bonhe When do you repot your poms? I bought a nice little nana from a big box store that I plan to grow as a house plant and it really needs moved into a bigger pot. Its covered in small buds and I'm worried repotting will make them drop.
I transplant the pomegranate in fall. You can do it now, but do not disturb its roots if you want to keep flower buds.
Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes! This is what I thought of.
I've been doing the same but I would never disclose my secret :) if it weren't you to speak about it first.
I was feeling kind of... amateur in lack of knowledge of the appropriate technique...Thank you for your eagerness to answer ALL questions asked!
We are on the same page! :)
You should not feel that way. Whatever you did on the tree and get the good result, you are successful!

Bonhe

Top Bottom