My son cut off two branches on my Japanese black pine!

billfromtheboot

Seedling
Reaction score
My ten year old son cut off two branches on my Japanese black pine, (and I can’t be angry with him, because I have encouraged him to get into the art) but it’s the wrong time of year. Does it need to be kept in the shade for about a month, or is that just after repotting. I told him this morning that this tree, my bald cypress, and the crepe Myrtle are off limits, and he understand now, but man, I almost lost it. 🤣 He didn’t do a bad job though. Btw, it’s simply a pre-bonsai at this point. I always get mixed responses. I would think shading the tree will ultimately weaken it. I added more biogold and in hopes to help it recover. Thanks ahead.

Attachments

• 79FD1871-2F2A-4AA4-B38A-153F65B04D40.jpeg
    79FD1871-2F2A-4AA4-B38A-153F65B04D40.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 231

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can understand why shade would be advised after root pruning but why would shading help after pruning?
Also there's no bad time for pruning pines. Browsing animals and storms don't just happen at one time of year so plants have adjusted to coping with pruning whenever it happens. pruning is just the name for humans doing similar things.
I can't see any real gaps in the tree so I doubt your son has caused any lasting problems. He may have actually helped because most people seem to be reluctant to cut enough.

billfromtheboot

Seedling
Reaction score
I can understand why shade would be advised after root pruning but why would shading help after pruning?
Also there's no bad time for pruning pines. Browsing animals and storms don't just happen at one time of year so plants have adjusted to coping with pruning whenever it happens. pruning is just the name for humans doing similar things.
I can't see any real gaps in the tree so I doubt your son has caused any lasting problems. He may have actually helped because most people seem to be reluctant to cut enough.
I appreciate your quick response. I’ve always been the bald cypress kind of guy, and failed at a JBP a long time ago. I just wanted to make sure it would be fine in the direct sunlight. She’s not much at the moment, but I really like this little tree. I’ll go ahead and keep her in the sun. What you’re saying makes a lot of sense. Much appreciated.

billfromtheboot

Seedling
Reaction score
(1) All sun, all the time.
(2) Never fertilize a stressed tree. However I don't really believe this tree has been harmed too much, and I don't think it has really even been stressed. Just don't do anything else to it :)
Haha! Every time I see that, “nuttier than the nuttiest nut,” I can’t help but laugh. I agree. It was just two branches, so I’m just going to leave her in the sun. I appreciate your response. I thought she would be okay as well. Just didn’t want to lose her.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just didn’t want to lose her
:)

That's funny.

There are endless debates here about gender and language. We only have two genders for words, but now more and more people uuse "écrivaine" (♀️) instead of "écrivain" (♂️), etc.
For such a word as "writer", there was no problem in English so far, but now a "spokesman" has become a "spokesperson" : no problemo, hasta la vista baby.
You probably know how much the French like to argue about "the sex of the anges" as the saying goes here.

But you have a language where inanimated objects are by definition neutral. So I find it funny (take no offence !) to call a pine "she".

For us, and for the Japanese, a black pine is masculine. For the Japanese, a black pine is connected to the notion of manhood, a soldier, a samurai. That's why it rarely has dead wood.

But different places, different cultures : you like this tree so much that you express your love of it with endowing it with a feminine identity.

Once again, don't take offence : it's just the amused thought of a French-speaking old man smiling at how a US man is showing his love for a tree.

Please, don't feel offended, and don't change a thing. What matters is that you love her. Just an interesting insight into the socio-linguistics of the bonsai world from the point of view of a French former language teacher. :cool:

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My understanding with shade for a pruned tree would be that it can’t transpire and cool itself as well if it loses a lot of foliage. However this seems as though it would only be an issue with a heavy prune in mid summer.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

That's funny.

There are endless debates here about gender and language. We only have two genders for words, but now more and more people uuse "écrivaine" (♀️) instead of "écrivain" (♂️), etc.
For such a word as "writer", there was no problem in English so far, but now a "spokesman" has become a "spokesperson" : no problemo, hasta la vista baby.
You probably know how much the French like to argue about "the sex of the anges" as the saying goes here.

But you have a language where inanimated objects are by definition neutral. So I find it funny (take no offence !) to call a pine "she".

For us, and for the Japanese, a black pine is masculine. For the Japanese, a black pine is connected to the notion of manhood, a soldier, a samurai. That's why it rarely has dead wood.

But different places, different cultures : you like this tree so much that you express your love of it with endowing it with a feminine identity.

Once again, don't take offence : it's just the amused thought of a French-speaking old man smiling at how a US man is showing his love for a tree.

Please, don't feel offended, and don't change a thing. What matters is that you love her. Just an interesting insight into the socio-linguistics of the bonsai world from the point of view of a French former language teacher. :cool:
My understanding is that any tree/species can be masculine or feminine depending on the design. Perhaps most JBP are styled masculine though. Most of my knowledge is derived from bonsai mirai. Ryan labeled trees as feminine if they were thin trunked, subtle curves, and thinner pads. The masculine trees had more stout trunks, sharper movement, and thick/broad pads. I agree assigned gender to inanimate objects seems silly though.

billfromtheboot

Seedling
Reaction score

That's funny.

It’s no problem. I just see it as a she, regardless of what it’s defined as. 🤣

billfromtheboot

Seedling
Reaction score
My understanding is that any tree/species can be masculine or feminine depending on the design. Perhaps most JBP are styled masculine though. Most of my knowledge is derived from bonsai mirai. Ryan labeled trees as feminine if they were thin trunked, subtle curves, and thinner pads. The masculine trees had more stout trunks, sharper movement, and thick/broad pads. I agree assigned gender to inanimate objects seems silly though.
Well… I have Autism so I am not typical in regards to the way o see things.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@billfromtheboot - sounds like you should get the kid his own collection of trees that he can work on without having to ask you. Get him some inexpensive juniper nursery stock, and maybe some mugo pines. If he takes to the hobby, by the time he is older he will have a number of casualties out of the way and be ready for serious bonsai.

billfromtheboot

Seedling
Reaction score
@billfromtheboot - sounds like you should get the kid his own collection of trees that he can work on without having to ask you. Get him some inexpensive juniper nursery stock, and maybe some mugo pines. If he takes to the hobby, by the time he is older he will have a number of casualties out of the way and be ready for serious bonsai.
Already started. I enjoy having someone to teach, especially my own son. It makes for good family time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees in Japanese traditions are sometimes attributed to gender. Black pine and needle juniper are associated as masculine because of their rugged appearance--plated bark, bold needles, sharp angular movement, etc.-- in the natural landscape there. Both are traditionally designed with that in mind. Many older needle juniper bonsai are designed to echo the silhouette of Samurai armored warriors. It should be noted that ancient cultures in the West made similar associations with trees. Do a search on why mistletoe is harvested from oaks. the results might make you think twice about kissing under it at Christmas. 😁

The Japanese white pine is traditionally considered more "feminine" in appearance, as it has softer, thinner needles and less rugged bark and growth characteristics.

Of course individual examples all these species can have more masculine or feminine forms.

Some trees in Japan have unique meaning that is lost on westerners or have the opposite associations we in West have of similar species. For instance, the cherry tree and camellia are not really "feminine" there because of their spectacular blossoms. Here in the west, both can be considered "feminine" because they have delicate, beautiful flowers. In Japan, however, both are tightly tied to Bushido culture--the fleeting appearance of those blossoms that quickly fall are similar to the lives of samurai--birth, death, beauty and violence.

Pines, including the black pin, are symbols of steadfastness, longevity and fidelity, as well.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Some trees in Japan have unique meaning that is lost on westerners or have the opposite associations we in West have of similar species.

Quite true.
And don't forget that some European languages have what seems like randomly chosen genders : Die Sonne, der Mond in German, whereas in most cultures the sun is associated with mascunility, and the moon with feminity. Since the French language is basically from Latin origin, but with a strong influence of Germanic languages.

I remember my first German lesson, and the teacher saying "Das ist der Tisch", "Das ist die Tafel" and pounding on the desk and the blackboard. Der, die das, etc. o_O😁

Aber, er war "cool".

Und sein Tochter auch... :cool:

But that's how much I can remember from my 2 years of German. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom