My Winter Greenhouse With Photo Updates

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Shade cloth if it's a high enough value could work, tarps are also a good solution. Darker the better for keeping the temps down.
If I could do a coolbot and an air conditioner, I'd do that, so your mini split could be perfection.

That solexx is the S**T isn't it?

Yes, the Solexx sure is the S**T! LOL...
Easy to cut, easy to drill through, not too heavy, easy to work with in general.
Strong stuff too. Hell, I even punched it a few times! Got THAT bright idea from a YT video. LOL...

Still gotta figure-out a way to keep the 8 auto-vents on the South wall from leaking, when they're closed.
I've spoken with a manufacturer about some edge molding and some rubber and foam strips for under the Solexx, that will be overlapping the vent frames by about 2". He sent some samples, but they won't do the job.
Haven't found a solution YET, so I haven't cut the vents out YET. LOL...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Ben, I just got a new humidifier today, for my greenhouse it's amazing! I was needing to replace one of my little crane ones, and the enabler found me this one on Amazon. It's got a setting where you can pick the humidity level you want and it automatically turns on and off to keep it there. 4 gallon tank, so no more filling every few days! and it's super low profile skinny, and has tubes like periscopes to aim the two nozzles. You can control the mist level on each nozzle separately. Recommend!!!

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Ben, I just got a new humidifier today, for my greenhouse it's amazing! I was needing to replace one of my little crane ones, and the enabler found me this one on Amazon. It's got a setting where you can pick the humidity level you want and it automatically turns on and off to keep it there. 4 gallon tank, so no more filling every few days! and it's super low profile skinny, and has tubes like periscopes to aim the two nozzles. You can control the mist level on each nozzle separately. Recommend!!!
I just took a quick look at that unit, it looks like it’ll get the job done very nicely.
Now back outside for me. LOL...

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It’s coming along nicely.
Crappy raw day here on Long Island, I did some work on the GH floor.
Those suckers ARE FRIGGIN’ HEAVY!!!
LOL...

Attachments

• 1DF83F25-6DB2-4906-A02E-A924FBF19B3E.jpeg
    1DF83F25-6DB2-4906-A02E-A924FBF19B3E.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 15FB5DBB-1A08-44EC-BA0F-1DB9ED774FA2.jpeg
    15FB5DBB-1A08-44EC-BA0F-1DB9ED774FA2.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 97
  • BB38354E-CD9F-40D4-9864-37280A54EA96.jpeg
    BB38354E-CD9F-40D4-9864-37280A54EA96.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 945A6E81-FD22-4B01-AD06-D4BA44978335.jpeg
    945A6E81-FD22-4B01-AD06-D4BA44978335.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 10919C60-8210-4FFA-86F6-5D3504828897.jpeg
    10919C60-8210-4FFA-86F6-5D3504828897.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 103

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
LOL...
Looks great!!! I just have 3/4" blue gravel as my floor.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Awesome, I would love to have that!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
LOL...
SUPERB! Awesome job getting it done.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You look almost complete there, those stone slabs are nice, hope they stay stable for you. Are you doing any roof venting or just ends? Looks great.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL...
Well done @BigBen !!

That looks like such a labor of love project! I really like the Romanesque heating in the floors, very cool!

cheers
DSD sends

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You look almost complete there, those stone slabs are nice, hope they stay stable for you. Are you doing any roof venting or just ends? Looks great.
Hi Judy,
Thank you so for the kind words and for your input along the way.

We were harvesting some veggies throughout the Winter, and also have citrus growing in there. LOL...

On the South wall (pic attached), I have opposing vents that I framed-out. I made the 4 higher vents larger than the opposing 4 lower vents, to create a natural chimney effect. I just need to cut the Solex now, but I’m still trying to figure out a smart way to seal them when they’re closed. Spoke with a couple manufacturers about it.

These will be powered via temperature controlled beeswax filled pistons.
The 2 low vents on the West wall will be connected to the high exhaust fan on the East wall. That’ll be the backup system and connected to the grid.
Still working on my solar radiant heat floor plan. I already ran 300’ of 3/4” PEX tubing in the floor.

Attachments

• 180853D6-C39C-491D-8EC7-B86AE20FF48E.jpeg
    180853D6-C39C-491D-8EC7-B86AE20FF48E.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Judy,
Thank you so for the kind words and for your input along the way.

We were harvesting some veggies throughout the Winter, and also have citrus growing in there. LOL...

On the South wall (pic attached), I have opposing vents that I framed-out. I made the 4 higher vents larger than the opposing 4 lower vents, to create a natural chimney effect. I just need to cut the Solex now, but I’m still trying to figure out a smart way to seal them when they’re closed. Spoke with a couple manufacturers about it.

These will be powered via temperature controlled beeswax filled pistons.
The 2 low vents on the West wall will be connected to the high exhaust fan on the East wall. That’ll be the backup system and connected to the grid.
Still working on my solar radiant heat floor plan. I already ran 300’ of 3/4” PEX tubing in the floor.
Awesome! I was hoping that you were going to do those cutouts as vents. I'm excited to see this project getting close to completion.

Reaction score
I followed your thread about your greenhouse since it is very similar to what I want to build in North Idaho. I see that it has been a couple of years since your thread with pictures and had a few questions. Did you end up finishing the hydronic heat system? If so, what did you end up using to heat the water? Any changes you would have made? I'm looking for some plans as well to follow for cuts etc. Did you just build yours or did you follow blueprints? Thank you for your time.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I followed your thread about your greenhouse since it is very similar to what I want to build in North Idaho. I see that it has been a couple of years since your thread with pictures and had a few questions. Did you end up finishing the hydronic heat system? If so, what did you end up using to heat the water? Any changes you would have made? I'm looking for some plans as well to follow for cuts etc. Did you just build yours or did you follow blueprints? Thank you for your time.

Hi Corey,
Been harvesting fruits and veggies all through the Winter, in the greenhouse.
When the weather starts to cool down, we move the citrus back into the GH for the Winter.
We also grow veggies in food-grade buckets that we get from bakeries and supermarkets. We also use clay pots & troughs.
Currently it’s empty of plants with exception of a handful that we’ll repot and let them grow all year.
We will be adding many more veggie plants for Winter growing as well.
I built it from scratch, following extensive and I mean EXTENSIVE research!
Still trying to perfect the Solar Radiant Heat System. If you have any ideas, please post them.
I’ve attached some pictures of the GH from this morning.
We really enjoy having our own GH, and being able to eat fresh homegrown fruits and vegetables all year long (USDA Zone 7A).
And just a note, everything we use on our plants is organic certified.
We also water the edibles with food safe hoses.

Enjoy !the build,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_8613.jpeg
    IMG_8613.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8612.jpeg
    IMG_8612.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8611.jpeg
    IMG_8611.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8610.jpeg
    IMG_8610.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8609.jpeg
    IMG_8609.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Ben,
Thank you for the update, I really appreciate it. I'm doing quite the research as well, sometimes I tell myself that I may be overthinking it, but I'd like to build it right the first time. Your design offers some inspiration, so thank you. We are USDA zoned 6a so I'm looking at integrating some passive solar design elements, although they probably won't be enough to heat it during the winter since we often get weeks of clouds and no sun. The hydronic heat seems intimidating, so I'm thinking of using another source of heat. I'll keep planning and hopefully break ground soon....

Top Bottom