Need opinions. Should I try and get it? It caught my eye.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Saw this top with the branch creating taper and was curious if it was worth going after? I want to collect the whole tee even if it doesn’t have a lot of taper I can raft it or air layering again for rafts few times and as I bring it down to size to build taper. Should I get that top off first though? That’s the interesting bit! It came from Hurricane Charley in 2004 we think. Which makes it more interesting as it was a devastating storm for us and customers would get a kick out of seeing a bonsai made from a “Charley” tree. Am I wasting my time hoping for the top?
PS this will be my biggest air layering so far. Lol.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw this top with the branch creating taper and was curious if it was worth going after? I want to collect the whole tee even if it doesn’t have a lot of taper I can raft it or air layering again for rafts few times and as I bring it down to size to build taper. Should I get that top off first though? That’s the interesting bit! It came from Hurricane Charley in 2004 we think. Which makes it more interesting as it was a devastating storm for us and customers would get a kick out of seeing a bonsai made from a “Charley” tree. Am I wasting my time hoping for the top?
PS this will be my biggest air layering so far. Lol.
What species is it?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Damn photos didn’t post. One minute. Bald cypress. 4B22E82B-E77B-4538-A051-865D3DDDFA8A.jpeg1BA962FF-52B5-4A2A-8FA8-F859EEC9A2C4.jpeg

Attachments

• 4063933F-0474-4382-884C-73E2833448FD.jpeg
    4063933F-0474-4382-884C-73E2833448FD.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 5
  • AAAC0A63-91A9-4802-B43F-5878C22E05F2.jpeg
    AAAC0A63-91A9-4802-B43F-5878C22E05F2.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 5

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't get too excited. Not really worth the trouble. A bend to one side isn't all that interesting, particularly if it doesn't have buttressed roots under it. It won't since you'd have to recreate that buttress from the spindly air layer roots.

Practically, the air layer would be considerable trouble to care for.The packing for an air layer this large would be huge and heavy, which would mean it would probably not stay in place all that well. material inside the air layer package would be kind of heavy.

BC are collected for because of their impressive root butressing, not their tops. Taper is not all that hard to induce on a trunk that already has those roots.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
True.
Wouldn't get too excited. Not really worth the trouble. A bend to one side isn't all that interesting, particularly if it doesn't have buttressed roots under it. It won't since you'd have to recreate that buttress from the spindly air layer roots.

Practically, the air layer would be considerable trouble to care for.The packing for an air layer this large would be huge and heavy, which would mean it would probably not stay in place all that well. material inside the air layer package would be kind of heavy.

BC are collected for because of their impressive root butressing, not their tops. Taper is not all that hard to induce on a trunk that already has those roots.
True although I may do it purely for the attempt at a cypress rafting from the top. I have a half cypress log I want to do one in. Pairing the trunk in a pot with a half empty log drift wood as a pot for the rafting could make for a cool presentation.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dig down around the trunk to see if there's anything more interesting below the soil line before you give up on it.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Definitely. I’m thinking of doing trunk chops while it’s in the ground and harvesting in a few years. I may pot it after the first or second chop.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely. I’m thinking of doing trunk chops while it’s in the ground and harvesting in a few years. I may pot it after the first or second chop.
Trunk chopping and not removing the tree at the same time is a recipe for killing the tree. That treatment weakens the tree and it is eventually outcompeted by neighboring trees. BC might be vigorous enough to limp along, but I've tried that on more than a few species, like hornbeam, beech and even elm in the woods. All of those chopped trunks left in the woods died within a couple of years...

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Trunk chopping and not removing the tree at the same time is a recipe for killing the tree. That treatment weakens the tree and it is eventually outcompeted by neighboring trees. BC might be vigorous enough to limp along, but I've tried that on more than a few species, like hornbeam, beech and even elm in the woods. All of those chopped trunks left in the woods died within a couple of years...
Damn that’s why I always say thinking of because people here always give good advice. Do think clearing around it might help?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn that’s why I always say thinking of because people here always give good advice. Do think clearing around it might help?
Not really. By chopping the tree it loses the ground it had with other trees competing with it for resources in the area. Grass, surface plants etc aren't really doing that.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Not really. By chopping the tree it loses the ground it had with other trees competing with it for resources in the area. Grass, surface plants etc aren't really doing that.
Afraid you were gonna say that. I was thinking all scrub trees and shrubs ten foot radius lol. Guess if I air layer it will be an over winter if it succeeds then harvest air layer and tree all together.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I've understood everything well enough to say.....

A good BC is an aluminum Canoe.

Others are worthless.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is true! Roflmao

It's one of few that are like this.
A nursery juniper will never be a thousand year old yamadori, but it can be something.
A BC NOT from the swamp.....I just don't see them ever holding a candle to that flizare.

Sorce

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
It's one of few that are like this.
A nursery juniper will never be a thousand year old yamadori, but it can be something.
A BC NOT from the swamp.....I just don't see them ever holding a candle to that flizare.

Sorce
Ok this is my usual insanity because I’ve grown tons of cypress but never specifically for bonsai. Can growth in pots/boxes/yard plantings get you that flare? I’ve also heard keeping it submerged/wet to top of soil most of its growing season is likely to cause knees to form. Just curious if you’ve seen this or is it like most things on the internet? 😝

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zack Smith this site is the man. As for tree of OP question: Cutting off top of tree removes trees access to sunlight needed to survive:(

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sur. Grow in a shallow container, forcing the roots to go lateral instead of vertical. Frequent rootwork and over time the base wil flare.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make friends in Luoisiana. GO on a joint fieldtrip. Collect a suitable tree directly from the swamp.

Top Bottom