Need suggestions on yaupon

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I picked up this large yaupon a couple of days ago. I just happened to know the owner of the nursery and explained that I wanted the biggest, nastiest material that he couldn't sell. I picked this one out right away. I asked him how much he wanted and he says " Well, it's been here for a while. I didn't use it on a landscaping job. Soooooo...........let's see............If you can pull it out you can have it." YES!

Nebari- 7" ..... trunk above nebari- 4+" I pruned away all the small base shoots and was left with 3 trunks ( branches??) The crude drawing is what I came up with for a working model. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

unnamed (58).jpgunnamed (60).jpgunnamed (59).jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would have left more sub trunks, but nice base! Can’t beat the price! ;)

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The sub trunks were either way too low or coming out of the trunk at almost the same location. My first impression was the same as yours, but it just didn’t work out that way.
Never worked much with this species. If I cut way back and leave no foliage, will it bud back enough to get to my vision?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I would cut it back hard and prune and wire new shoots as they pop before they lignify.

2019-12-22_12.25.27.jpg

Top Bottom