Newbies - want to share your trees?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Loving this thread! Really appreciate everyone sharing!

To alleviate EVEN more “anxiety” or “shyness” for newcomers, I’ll post raw..... reeeeal raw!

;)

Sambucus Racemosa - High floodwater “rescue” (Couldn’t resist that trunk).. might make it, might not...

Roughly pruned, not even to any design.. simply pruned in attempt to balance foliage/roots in attempt to ensure it’s survival.

Sambucus Racemosa -

CED3794B-4174-4936-9D8C-BDFE10EB86E6.jpeg51D0C30C-4356-44CE-B462-09D9137C202E.jpeg

See!.... not even anything yet.

Don’t be “scurred”

;)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I thought it could be fun to make a thread where beginners post their trees...I already have five (four nursery stock, one chinese elm) that I'm hoping will survive to learn on. Nothing I would consider to be good material by most people's standards on here, but I will have fun with them all the same and I'm enjoying learning how to look after them :)

Us newbies will likely not have the knowledge to advise each other - but at least we can share! Maybe some of the more experienced can chip in with thoughts and point out all the daft mistakes we're making...Someone may spot a problem that we hadn't noticed or knew existed - I'm sure that will be the case for at least one of mine (iffy leaves on hazel? 😂)

Maybe if we're all posting pretty sub-par trees together, this will give us the confidence to keep sharing and learning! Would also be cool to see how we progress and improve our skills.

(Sorry if a thread like this already exists - couldn't see one though).
That hazel has a really nice trunk, definitely the best of the bunch. Id like a better close up picture of it.

I would remove the lowest set of bar branches on the azalea, and then plop it into something to grow out.

The elm.. well, not much can be done about that except maybe an airlayer. I would just enjoy that one for what it is, take cuttings and wire those into nice shapes and grow out.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My wife got me a simple Juniper and my obsession has grown into japanese maples, lol. Here are some of them, I have yet to cut them as I just got some of them a few months ago and I am afraid to do anything until winter. Some of them look sad and I am trying to do as much research as I can to get them to tip top shape.
I dont see anything that needs cut here. Just keep fertilizing them nice and heavily, get them vigorous, and you'll never have to be nervous about cutting them back. If they were mine, and you want to turn them into real bonsai, they would all need to be put into grow boxes or the ground. But, if you are enjoying them as they are, thats fine too- just fetilize and water.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
View attachment 308748
150 different ones, and counting. Picture from a couple weeks ago.
Lots of stuff there, id like to see individual shots of the top shelf trees. They're really packed close on the bench, so you have to keep an eye out for pests and disease- spreads easier this close. Would be great if you have the space and materials for another bench to spread them out more.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the attitude of this thread, so I will participate with my linden. I collected it last november. The second flush is growing as it was pruned back 2 weeks ago. Good idea, teacher :)
Nice! A leafless shot would help. From what I can see, I would kill off the left stump/trunk. The rest looks good to me.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
That hazel has a really nice trunk, definitely the best of the bunch. Id like a better close up picture of it.

I would remove the lowest set of bar branches on the azalea, and then plop it into something to grow out.

The elm.. well, not much can be done about that except maybe an airlayer. I would just enjoy that one for what it is, take cuttings and wire those into nice shapes and grow out.

Cheers for this - good plant for the azalea! Attached close up of the Hazel. I love the trunk, bit different.

Also attached photo of juniper, pruning advise would be amazing! So far I've just got rid of any unhealthy looking stuff

Real good of you to share your wisdom with everyone 😊

Attachments

• 20200614_170917.jpg
    20200614_170917.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200614_170929.jpg
    20200614_170929.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 129

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Already posted my dying pinyon pine stump elsewhere. Thought it was gone and went to get rid of it only to find lots of fresh root growth, so I reported it and we'll see what happens.

And another pinyon that's doing much better. Half of that angle was how it naturally grew, and the rest is because I couldn't keep it from falling over in the pot so just quit fighting it. The best part of this one is the root structure I found on it. I probably won't keep the height/length, but it will definitely be a root over rock some day. And a couple random fruit seeds in pots as experiments.

A three trunk American elm I dug out of the yard. I want to go 100% cut-and-grow on this one, no wire or anything.

And a fist full of cuttings I'm rooting. Two mulberries and a willow. There was recently a death in the family, and the decision was made to have him cremated and planted as a tree. One of the mulberries will likely go to that.
Mulberry are nice, weird leaves. Can reduce somewhat.

Elm has potential, nice. Left the trunks too long though. I would cut right trunk shortest, maybe 1-2" from main trunk, then the left trunk second shortest, then middle one longest, maybe 3" from main trunk.

Pot choice worries me though lol. Coffee cans for the win aye

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started my bonsai journey in spring of 2018, i got about 6 different species of conifers, i did tones of researches before doing anything to the raw materials of nurseries, i wired repoted pruned jins sharies everything i could practice all with 100% success and saw new growth even back budding on cedrus libani wich is rare to happen. Fast forward to early spring of 2019, i had to travel out of country for about a month just to come back and see the disaster (the person I trusted to water them was untrustworthy apparently), the poor cedar of Lebanon was standing strong due to big container and very clay like compacted soil that I didn’t repot last spring retained enough rain water to survive (after all bad soil had some advantages) disappointed and angry I ditched the hobby just watered the cedar sometimes as a regular plant.
So quarantined and bored the neglected cedar catched my eyes and restarted work again, I removed wires that left some scars but nothing serious, followed by a repot and some pruning of long branches, didn’t want to rewire to give it a break so i guy wired down some branches. I was a little concerned post repotting cause i read about not messing too much with cedar roots but couldn’t help myself and pruned more then half but didn’t bare rooted it (hard old clay soil wouldn’t come out without water jet anyway), now after a week new growths are on every meddle cluster so I’m relieved, I’ll start fertilizing after 2-3 weeks and let grow freely untill next spring to regain it’s health and strength.

The soil mix is :
2 parts Pumice sifted 3-10 mm and rinsed well
2 parts perlite sifted 2-6 mm and rinsed well
1 part coco coir

i can water this mix every day even twice a day without fear of overwatering, at the same time good retention for hot summer sunny days of 30-35 C, i did try to find a substitute for coco coir as it is not much recommended for bonsai but options are limited here in Lebanon. Container is a laundry basket with plastic mesh (let’s see if air pruning works) im a patient person so this is not going in a bonsai pot anytime soon before training stage is over and refinement stage starts, maybe 4-5 years.View attachment 309037View attachment 309044View attachment 309049View attachment 309050View attachment 309051View attachment 309052View attachment 309053View attachment 309054
Lots of potential here given it survives and becomes vigorous again. Nice formal upright, adding some jins and maybe even shari eventually.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cheers for this - good plant for the azalea! Attached close up of the Hazel. I love the trunk, bit different.

Also attached photo of juniper, pruning advise would be amazing! So far I've just got rid of any unhealthy looking stuff

Real good of you to share your wisdom with everyone 😊
I love that hazel. What a nice find, really good material even if the species isn't considered optimal by some.

What kind of juniper is that? Yellow foliage is cool. Haven't worked with the species much.

First, dig in the soil until you find roots. Is the main trunk connected to the smaller one on the left? Expose it and snap a picture of the "nebari".

Do you have raffia, or some other similar material for wrapping the juniper? What about wire? If it were mine, I'd be drastic with the longest shoot, main trunk after the bend. I would look up threads on how to apply raffia and wire to trees on bnut. And then I would apply that knowledge to this tree, bend the hell out of it, and have some fun. Tree has potential in the future, but will be boring if you don't add some interest now.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mulberry are nice, weird leaves. Can reduce somewhat.

Elm has potential, nice. Left the trunks too long though. I would cut right trunk shortest, maybe 1-2" from main trunk, then the left trunk second shortest, then middle one longest, maybe 3" from main trunk.

Pot choice worries me though lol. Coffee cans for the win aye
Oh forgot to mention timing. If this is what the tree looks like currently do NOT cut those trubks back now, wait until spring.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I love that hazel. What a nice find, really good material even if the species isn't considered optimal by some.

What kind of juniper is that? Yellow foliage is cool. Haven't worked with the species much.

First, dig in the soil until you find roots. Is the main trunk connected to the smaller one on the left? Expose it and snap a picture of the "nebari".

Do you have raffia, or some other similar material for wrapping the juniper? What about wire? If it were mine, I'd be drastic with the longest shoot, main trunk after the bend. I would look up threads on how to apply raffia and wire to trees on bnut. And then I would apply that knowledge to this tree, bend the hell out of it, and have some fun. Tree has potential in the future, but will be boring if you don't add some interest now.

Thanks! I do love the Hazel, love an underdog. Far from the idea bonsai but I'll enjoy it anyway.

It's a pfitzeriana 'King of Spring' - never heard of the King of spring part... I have wire but no raffia.

My thoughts were to clear it up a bit - reduce the size slightly and remove crossing branches. Then was going to think about shaping later (next year possibly?) when I've learned more and got a better idea of how I'd like to style.

There's just so much foliage haha. Let me know if you think this plan isn't a good one!

Dug down a little - there's two smaller ones both connected to the main trunk. One is very small which I think should definitely go? Let me know if I need to dig deeper haha

Attachments

• 20200614_172922.jpg
    20200614_172922.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 124

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! A leafless shot would help. From what I can see, I would kill off the left stump/trunk. The rest looks good to me.
This was taken last november, 2 days after I dug it up. I wouldn't dig trees up at that time normally, but it was then or never. Anyway, regarding your suggestion, I thought about that too. In fact, I am planning to let the longer subtrunk get much thicker than the small one. I haven't decided yet, I might shorten it, or even chop it down completely. I will make my decision till next year, because I want it to recover this year. It's not visible in the foto, but between the 2 subtrunks was another stub that I removed.

Attachments

• Tei nr.1 (2 zile dupa recoltare) 23.11.2019.jpg
    Tei nr.1 (2 zile dupa recoltare) 23.11.2019.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 135

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Or would it be better to jinn the unwanted trunk(s). I don't yet know how to do this but think I remember seeing that is better than chopping.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or would it be better to jinn the unwanted trunk(s). I don't yet know how to do this but think I remember seeing that is better than chopping.
Yes, that would be a possibility too. The are lots of trees in nature that lost big branches or trunks like that.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Lots of potential here given it survives and becomes vigorous again. Nice formal upright, adding some jins and maybe even shari eventually.
Thanks for your comment, I’m definitely (jin)ing the extra trunk at the apex but still didn’t decide if i stop there or continue with a shari all the way down along the trunk to that front pointing root of the nebari, i would like to here your opinion.

Top Bottom