Oh look, another soil thread...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Or, you could buy a bag of the pine bark and compost it yourself. Start it now in a bag/barrel/box in the sun, water and turn it periodically, leave it out over winter and by spring you should be ready to go. Add a little superphosphate, or some other garden fertilizer, if you like.

Had no idea it was that simple, thanks Jim, I'll have to give that a try.

I did find that a nursery somewhat local to me sells Happy Frog soil, so I picked up a bag. I may not even screen this stuff, just take a small amount and mix it into the soil:
010.jpg
012.jpg

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is what the composted pine bark I use looks like.
image.jpg

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not seen lowes version, but for $2.54 you can have it mailed to you. Probably minor shipping cost.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_309048-29629-13203_0__?productId=3426574

Sorry I just tried to have it mailed To me. It's store pick up only..........might want to check your lowes. You can see if your store stocks online by picking your store on their website.

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I just tried to have it mailed To me. It's store pick up only..........might want to check your lowes. You can see if your store stocks online by picking your store on their website.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

Nope, they don't :(

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My offer still stands. I will mail you a 1.5 cubic yard bag to your house if you want. I have no idea what shipping and box would cost, but I can get it done. You could just mail me a check when I get it mailed.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My offer still stands. I will mail you a 1.5 cubic yard bag to your house if you want. I have no idea what shipping and box would cost, but I can get it done. You could just mail me a check when I get it mailed.

Sounds good, but I'll see how the Happy Frog mixture does first :D

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
FWIW, I've read good reviews about Happy Frog being added to bonsai soil. :)

I have too, which is why I bought it. It's supposedly great houseplant soil and is full of nutrients and all that, and there are some big words on the bag so that MUST mean it's good stuff ;)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have too, which is why I bought it. It's supposedly great houseplant soil and is full of nutrients and all that, and there are some big words on the bag so that MUST mean it's good stuff ;)

Did it also help win world war 2? :)

Regarding shipping...you (referring to jkd) could use one of the flat rate boxes from the post office. I've had pumice shipped to me that way and it seems to be pretty reasonable. I don't know what sizes are available, though.

Chris

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would just take the bag to the ups store and have them build me a box. Probably pretty cheap.
Ryan pm me your address and I will send for free the first time. I'm curious as to the cost. I will call it payback for you teaching me about ficus.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would just take the bag to the ups store and have them build me a box. Probably pretty cheap.
Ryan pm me your address and I will send for free the first time. I'm curious as to the cost. I will call it payback for you teaching me about ficus.

LOL that makes me feel guilty then :p

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously. It's a gift for you posting all the ficus info that I have learned a lot from. You only get one free gift. Next time I will charge you what ever it cost.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please let us (or me, don't know if anyone else is interested) know how much it costs to ship that way, I'd like to compare it to the flat rate box approach.

Chris

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think they have a flat rate box that big. I will report back.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg

40lb 2 cubic yard bag of 100% composted pine bark. $10.81 "enough to last Ryan 3 years"
12x16x14 box that ups store built $6.10
Slowest shipping to Gainesville via UPS to arrive this Friday. $55.45.

Getting Ryan some good dirt.......Priceless.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
View attachment 39953

40lb 2 cubic yard bag of 100% composted pine bark. $10.81 "enough to last Ryan 3 years"
12x16x14 box that ups store built $6.10
Slowest shipping to Gainesville via UPS to arrive this Friday. $55.45.

Getting Ryan some good dirt.......Priceless.

WOW that's ridiculous! I definitely owe you now...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to buy all of my soil premade from Brussels bonsai and have it sent to me. The last year I did this I spent almost $300 on soil. Thank god I figured out how to make it myself. I make the same amount now for about $30 a year. :eek:

Top Bottom