Oh look, another soil thread...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Went to the local nursery today and they do have both Dyna Gro and Bonsai Pro. Think I should get one over the other?
20130924_105113.jpg
20130924_105147.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Our Ficus get 5 times the dose of 20-20-20 in inorganic and as Walter Pall says "whatever brand is on sale". I use one brand because I can always get it ;)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm just trying to find the brand that Eric uses ;)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I still use the same mix in winter just a lot less and a lot less often. I would not change the properties of the fertilizer just the amount and frequency - seems to me it is by nature a more stable method. Just my opinion of course :p

Grimmy

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I still use the same mix in winter just a lot less and a lot less often. I would not change the properties of the fertilizer just the amount and frequency - seems to me it is by nature a more stable method. Just my opinion of course :p

Grimmy

I don't use any liquid fertilizers, which is something I'm looking to get into now. I'm not changing anything, just tweaking and adding on to what already exists.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
wow! I guess you missed my point(s) a 150 pct. I pointed out the water soluble type I used earlier and mentioned in the second link they carry a lot of xx-xx-xx variations. Water soluble is just as effective and a hell of a lot less expensive. The reason I mentioned it is it seems to me 10.99 for a pint compared to water soluble of equal quality per pound equals big cash. I figured with as many plants as you have it would make sense and work fine is all...

Grimmy

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
wow! I guess you missed my point(s) a 150 pct. I pointed out the water soluble type I used earlier and mentioned in the second link they carry a lot of xx-xx-xx variations. Water soluble is just as effective and a hell of a lot less expensive. The reason I mentioned it is it seems to me 10.99 for a pint compared to water soluble of equal quality per pound equals big cash. I figured with as many plants as you have it would make sense and work fine is all...

Grimmy

Yeah I was sitting in class, so I guess I wasn't able to pay attention to two things at once ;)

It is pricey for a small amount, but I'm led to believe it is only applied once a week, so I shouldn't go through the stuff too quickly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been using this version of Dyna grow:

http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Grow-7-9-5-Plant-1-Quart/dp/B0054YQ1WI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380048192&sr=8-2&keywords=dyna+gro

It has been working pretty well for me indoors and out at a rate of 1/2 TS per gallon. I've been using it every watering, for about 30 plants of varying sizes, and I still have about half a bottle left after 6 months. I'm not claiming to be an expert on fert, since it is one variable that I haven't tinkered with very much. The "foliage pro" that you posted might have a bit too much Nitrogen, relatively, but it may also be just fine. I recommend going with the larger size since it is likely more economical.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've been using this version of Dyna grow:

http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Grow-7-9-5-Plant-1-Quart/dp/B0054YQ1WI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380048192&sr=8-2&keywords=dyna+gro

It has been working pretty well for me indoors and out at a rate of 1/2 TS per gallon. I've been using it every watering, for about 30 plants of varying sizes, and I still have about half a bottle left after 6 months. I'm not claiming to be an expert on fert, since it is one variable that I haven't tinkered with very much. The "foliage pro" that you posted might have a bit too much Nitrogen, relatively, but it may also be just fine. I recommend going with the larger size since it is likely more economical.

The nursery unfortunately didn't have just a generic kind like that. They had an Orchid kind, a Bloom kind, and a Leaf kind. I assume the "Bonsai Pro" is the same thing though, as it's 7-9-5 as well.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I've been using the DynaGro stuff for a couple of years. As mentioned above, it's very concentrated. I've used both "Bonsai Pro" version and the generic. The components listed on the labels look the same to me.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've been using the DynaGro stuff for a couple of years. As mentioned above, it's very concentrated. I've used both "Bonsai Pro" version and the generic. The components listed on the labels look the same to me.

Funny how this went from a soil thread to a fertilizer thread :p

I went ahead and bought both. I get a discount from them since I'm in there just about all the time, so I felt comfortable with the purchase.

What caught my eye about the "Foliage Pro" is that the side says it's good for "Tropical foliage plants, perennials, and hydroculture." Interesting.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What caught my eye about the "Foliage Pro" is that the side says it's good for "Tropical foliage plants, perennials, and hydroculture." Interesting.

I find that a bit amusing :rolleyes:

Grimmy

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Checked on the microcarpa I had repotted into pure pumice, and hey look, it's backbudding all over the branches. Not saying this is necessarily due to the soil, but I'm sure that plays some sort of role...
006.jpg

Top Bottom