Oh look, another soil thread...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No offense but what you are doing has been done for quite awhile(i'm talking soil)and over the years improvements have been made, why choose to ignore those improvements?

Because I don't see the need for improvement. The particle size is what I've been recommended and seems to be working greatly. Keep in mind that this is for indoor growing.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
there's always room for improvement. Indoors correct, so maybe a larger particle size so it doesn't stay too wet? That makes complete sense. Now what about using all 1/4"-3/8" consistently then? The "dirt" you are using contradicts a large particle size by clogging up the airspaces, now we are back to a soil that stays too wet perhaps. Additionally you will have to repot more frequently due to lack of water percolation, maybe not an issue for you as I'm guessing you don't have too many trees indoors.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I still do not understand why any organic is required unless you don't have water and fertilizer. I am going to make popcorn now :p

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
there's always room for improvement. Indoors correct, so maybe a larger particle size so it doesn't stay too wet? That makes complete sense. Now what about using all 1/4"-3/8" consistently then? The "dirt" you are using contradicts a large particle size by clogging up the airspaces, now we are back to a soil that stays too wet perhaps. Additionally you will have to repot more frequently due to lack of water percolation, maybe not an issue for you as I'm guessing you don't have too many trees indoors.

The "dirt" I'm using clogs up the airspace? Incorrect. I don't see what makes you think bark like this would clog the soil...?
031.jpg

It's a very porous, well draining soil that is working just fine, and I'm not concerned about tweaking it in any way. By the way, I've got 30+ trees indoors.

I still do not understand why any organic is required unless you don't have water and fertilizer. I am going to make popcorn now :p

It's what I do, what I've seen done, and how I will continue doing it :rolleyes:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's what I do, what I've seen done, and how I will continue doing it :rolleyes:

No sweat man! I do understand that everyone here lives in different climates and has a WIDE variety of plants. I just find it easier to put it ALL in non organic and water and fertilizer. Anyone that has different requirements and systems that work has so for reasons. I just have a personal preference to unify all of the plants and the ability and resources to winter them all correctly. If it works by ALL means do it! :D

Back to my popcorn -

Grimmy

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No sweat man! I do understand that everyone here lives in different climates and has a WIDE variety of plants. I just find it easier to put it ALL in non organic and water and fertilizer. Anyone that has different requirements and systems that work has so for reasons. I just have a personal preference to unify all of the plants and the ability and resources to winter them all correctly. If it works by ALL means do it! :D

Back to my popcorn -

Grimmy

Most of the reason I add the organics is because of my lights. The plants are pretty close to the lights, which mean the soil dries pretty quickly. I add the organics so that a small amount of water is retained and I don't have to water nearly as often.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Why ask for advise when you've already found the ANSWER?

Scott

That particular comment was about the bark in my mix. Wasn't sure if I had too much or not. I was saying that adding organics is what I've seen done, so I'll do it too.

Let's not get back into this whole argument thing. Just let this be a helpful thread. If you don't have a helpful comment, just leave it to those that do.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That particular comment was about the bark in my mix. Wasn't sure if I had too much or not. I was saying that adding organics is what I've seen done, so I'll do it too.

Let's not get back into this whole argument thing. Just let this be a helpful thread. If you don't have a helpful comment, just leave it to those that do.

No worries - I think I just lost all interest in providing a helpful comment. Enjoy.

Scott

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Most of the reason I add the organics is because of my lights. The plants are pretty close to the lights, which mean the soil dries pretty quickly. I add the organics so that a small amount of water is retained and I don't have to water nearly as often.

Have you thought of trying a top dressing for your soil that consists of graded/shredded new zealand sphagnum moss and dried out green moss? This will not only keep the soil from drying out so quickly but it promotes roots to grow in that upper 1/2" of soil

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Have you thought of trying a top dressing for your soil that consists of graded/shredded new zealand sphagnum moss and dried out green moss? This will not only keep the soil from drying out so quickly but it promotes roots to grow in that upper 1/2" of soil

That's something I've considered, but figured the moss would dry out just as fast. I'm also not a big fan of that kind of moss. It's good for air layers, but I get annoyed when roots grow into it and need to be arranged. They get so tangled in the stuff.

k2bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I use a mix (well not so much a mix) of 100% pumice on my trees. In order to keep the top part from drying out on the hot days i shred up some dried sphagnum moss, soak it for a few hours then flatten some into my hand removing much of the moisture and slap this onto the soil surface, pressing it down as i go. Upon each watering the sphagnum moss will retain its moisture fully until the next day. I just followed the examples here:

http://bonsaitonight.com/2010/02/16/moss-technique/

I havn't put any regular moss on top as yet as we have had 8 weeks of sun and no rain so there has been a lack off moss since i repotted the trees. I should really start farming moss i think. The sphagnum also does a great job of keeping the pumice from washing away during watering.

K2

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will intercede here for the last time - If you have a solution for your climate and needs you must go that way. It does not matter what anyone thinks at that point. I have worked at unity for all of our plants because it is possible and works for ME. There are far to many variables and interests for me to get into - all I KNOW is what works for ME and that varies greatly for the rest of the world...

The substrate threads would be a hell of a lot better if they were more of an ask and share what you use. Trying to be realistic - I do not expect what I do or what Walter does or anyone else... What I do works for me may not work for anyone else. Threads on substrate should be more like "what do you use" rather then what do you suggest and it would give the person asking the ability to look at climates and how they may apply to you and saving all of this friggen bull.

Just my humble opinion,

Grimmy

mat

Chumono
Reaction score

This seems a bit close-minded, especially for someone of your age. Usually it's the old fuddy-duddies who are so stubbornly set in their ways.

You seem pretty open to experimentation with your trees in general. It's surprising to me that you're no longer open to advice on soil components. Why not try a uniformly-sized, inorganic mix of materials with a little sphagnum moss on top for one (or a few) of your project trees next repot? I think they'd respond well.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This seems a bit close-minded, especially for someone of your age. Usually it's the old fuddy-duddies who are so stubbornly set in their ways.

You seem pretty open to experimentation with your trees in general. It's surprising to me that you're no longer open to advice on soil components.

I am open to advice on soil components. I've already got several trees planted in pure pumice. I just don't see what the big deal is on the issue of organics. Since my lights dry out my soil so quickly I've been adding organics to my mix.

I've got a half dozen training pots coming in the mail by the end of the week, so I'll repot some trees into a mix of pumice with sphagnum on top. The particles are uniform and have been screened thoroughly several times.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Actually the only good top dressing is a composted Pine Bark residue. It will promote the formation of moss.

I must admit...I've been reading these posts and get more confused. Is there not a perfect product on the market without the need to add to the soil? I will eventually need to pot my tamarix. (plan on putting it in the pot the Bougainvillea came in once its pot arrives) But my head is spinning...I know what my Bougainvillea needs...but am curious if an organic is also needed with it.

I never would have thought it so...confounding. It is interesting to see ones having success with their soil composites.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I use a mix (well not so much a mix) of 100% pumice on my trees. In order to keep the top part from drying out on the hot days i shred up some dried sphagnum moss, soak it for a few hours then flatten some into my hand removing much of the moisture and slap this onto the soil surface, pressing it down as i go. Upon each watering the sphagnum moss will retain its moisture fully until the next day. I just followed the examples here:

http://bonsaitonight.com/2010/02/16/moss-technique/

I havn't put any regular moss on top as yet as we have had 8 weeks of sun and no rain so there has been a lack off moss since i repotted the trees. I should really start farming moss i think. The sphagnum also does a great job of keeping the pumice from washing away during watering.

K2

Don't bother putting green moss as they did in that post just crumble dried out green moss into your shredded sphagnum and eventually you will grow a lush green carpet that percolates water perfectly

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I am open to advice on soil components. I've already got several trees planted in pure pumice. I just don't see what the big deal is on the issue of organics. Since my lights dry out my soil so quickly I've been adding organics to my mix.

I've got a half dozen training pots coming in the mail by the end of the week, so I'll repot some trees into a mix of pumice with sphagnum on top. The particles are uniform and have been screened thoroughly several times.

If the pumice seems to dry out too fast try mixing in some lava and akadama in 3 equal parts followed by top dressing. I have several trees in pure pumice that I purchased that way and they don't seem very tough. I'm going to repot late this coming winter into a mix I referenced above and we'll see if there's a difference for me

Top Bottom