Old Shimpaku

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Does anyone know why sometimes the tips on shimpaku turn brown? The brown only extends down on the foliage about 5mm and then breaks off. Anybody have a reason for this ?

Dave

Attachments

• 100_0013.jpg
    100_0013.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_0014.jpg
    100_0014.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 162

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes and no. I use a scissors for cutting off heavier branchs and pinch the younger foliage. I don't think it was from scissors. These brown tips started soon after I transplanted (minimal root pruning) into a larger pot in early spring (3rd week in March). They were green all winter long. There were many new shoots that developed and continued to grow out. The tree appears to be doing well. I just pinch off the brown tips.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have other shinpakus that do this or is it just this one?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
It is better to trim the foliage back at the stem with scissors, than to pinch, you will be happier with the result even if it takes a little longer.

Ciao,
Harry

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you rub your hand over the top, does the foliage break off? I agree with those folks who are saying it is probably due to pinching. I trim my shimpakus with scissors and don't have this issue.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I wonder if it isn't the "male" or "female" version that makes pollen instead of little white flower. Some of my shimpaku make tiny white buds that eventually turn into berries. I also have other shimpakus that make brown tips that eventually release pollen.

anybody else has experienced this?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if it isn't the "male" or "female" version that makes pollen instead of little white flower. Some of my shimpaku make tiny white buds that eventually turn into berries. I also have other shimpakus that make brown tips that eventually release pollen.

anybody else has experienced this?
That's the first thing I thought of. I can't say I recall seeing this with a shimpaku, but I have two male Rocky Mountain Junipers that flower sort of like that. The tips of the foliage turns a light brown, then swell and turn a more yellowish color as they start to release pollen, then fall away and start growing normally.

Dave

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
To me it sounds like what duddhamonk and Dav4 are suggesting. I did notice early in the spring soon after repotting that there were many, very small white flower like structures at many of the tips as well as the tips gradually going from a light brown/bronz, swelling, and then turning more brown as shown on the photo. I noted too that these were last years foliage only. There were many new shoots that did not do this. To mention again, the tree was nice and green all winter long, only doing this in late March/early April after repotting.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice shimpaku Dave,hope you can figure this out,the tree looks healthy to me from the photo,wish it was mine.:)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dave,

this is definitely a male juniper. All the brown things are male seeds. This is a good sign. Concerning styling you probably know that you should get rid of 80 (eighty) % of the foliage on this one.

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first thought from seeing the close up picture is that the tips are male pollen flowers.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for everyones replys. Walter, I have recently thinned out about 40% of the foliage mass - after the photo was taken. As you can see the shape is more of a fluffy poodle look. Any suggestions on changing the appearance? It has been this style for many years. Thanks your input.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dave,

this is really impossible to do here. This tree would be a very good one for an advanced full-day workshop.

Top Bottom