One of the fastest growing trees I ever seen

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
This particular tree with 84cm (33 in) beleive it or not was a small seedling with only two adult leaves just 3.5-4 months ago, a Pepper tree Schinus molle freshly germinated in a garden, I always look for small seedlings before they kill them weeding, its a lot of fun growing them. I new the Pepper trees grow fast but not so damn fast it has outgrow everything in my small prebonsai garden bed.
20220907_141628_HDR.jpg20220907_141650_HDR.jpg20220907_141726_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yes they are a lot nicer than Alianthus!! Very resilient and drought tolerant species also, I think they are very common in California as shade trees, the leaf reduces acceptably well in pot

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This particular tree with 84cm (33 in) beleive it or not was a small seedling with only two adult leaves just 3.5-4 months ago, a Pepper tree Schinus molle freshly germinated in a garden, I always look for small seedlings before they kill them weeding, its a lot of fun growing them. I new the Pepper trees grow fast but not so damn fast it has outgrow everything in my small prebonsai garden bed.
Non-native pepper trees (Brazillian and Peruvian pepper trees aka Schinus terebinthifolia and Schinus molle) are considered invasive species in California and you can no longer buy them at a nursery. There is no such thing as one pepper tree. You might think you own one... but you actually own 100 :) You just don't know it yet :)

By the way, Schnius genus belongs to the family Anacardiaceae - which also contains poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac. People allergic to poison ivy and poison oak may also be allergic to Schinus molle contact - particularly contact with the sap. When pruning trees, I had to be very careful to avoid contact as much as possible, wearing gloves and protective gear. It would give me a nasty rash - not quite as bad as poison oak but bad enough :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
In my experience Schinus molle is not even closely as invasive as Schinus terebinthifolius, they are extremely weedy, I guess in drier climates might be different. I never had any reaction with the sap of this species, I also prune Ficus and Figs without any protection and never had any problem with the latex but I know peolpe that have had terrible skin damage pruning Fig trees

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Bad news guys, it seems like an evil two legged creature chopped down my beautiful pepper tree 😭 strange because the cut was made with pruning scissors or something... 😂
20220909_142352_HDR.jpg20220909_142447_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom