Orchids

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If there's one thing I've learned in my lifetime with orchids, it's that there is no such thing as "THE" way to do anything. This is for two reasons.

First, If someone posted here "how do I get my tree to grow?", everyone would want to know what kind of tree at the very least, and probably also its size, what its potted in, etc . . . not to mention the environmental conditions. Take the variety of trees used in bonsai and multiply that by a thousand! Orchids are the largest and most diverse group of flowering plants on earth with nearly 30,000 species! That's more than double the number of different species of birds on the planet! Add to that the more than 100,000 registered hybrids and cultivars and you can see why orchid people might bristle at the question of how to take care of simply "an orchid" . . .

Second, just like with bonsai, there are as many ways to do things as people doing them, and the right thing varies with species, climate, effort, etc.

Finally, I'll point out that Trader Joes Phaleonopsis and Box Store Oncidiums are the "mallsai" of the orchid world ;)
Sure, they may bring some people into the hobby, but the well informed tend to roll their eyes knowing that those houseplants are not representative of the truly amazing things that dedicated hobbyists are growing - just like with bonsai!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Did you say micro orchids?

That's moss to show how small this orchid is

I have A few-all live in my dart frog vivarium's but all are small then dimes.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Did you say micro orchids?

That's moss to show how small this orchid is

I have A few-all live in my dart frog vivarium's but all are small then dimes.
Stunning !

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have over a thousand pots of orchids growing, have been growing them for over 30 years. I'll use ice cubes when i see the greenhouse workers at my wholesalers walking down the aisles with buckets ice to water their orchids. Its a gimic, for those who have no other living plants in their houses. The time needed to teach one to use ice cubes successfully I could teach you how to use water for all your plants and repotting to.
see my now out of date gallery of orchids as kusamono
www.leosorchids.com go to gallery, then kusamono

it hasn't been updated in 3 or 4 years, but my early efforts are posted there.

.a

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Orchids are the next thing I plan to learn how to grow. I have about 20 of them, and I've only ever gotten one group of about 6 of them to reflower since I bought them. All were flowering when purchased. I'm generally not killing them, but I can't get them to bloom.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have over a thousand pots of orchids growing, have been growing them for over 30 years. I'll use ice cubes when i see the greenhouse workers at my wholesalers walking down the aisles with buckets ice to water their orchids. Its a gimic, for those who have no other living plants in their houses. The time needed to teach one to use ice cubes successfully I could teach you how to use water for all your plants and repotting to.
see my now out of date gallery of orchids as kusamono
www.leosorchids.com go to gallery, then kusamono

it hasn't been updated in 3 or 4 years, but my early efforts are posted there.

.a
You have/had some nice specimen plants. I love the leptotes bicolor and the stelis. Forgive me if I misspelled them. Thank you for sharing.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Love them, Mach!

Maybe I should try a few out... I would love a very showy and fragrant one. Theres so many how would I decide?!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love them, Mach!

Maybe I should try a few out... I would love a very showy and fragrant one. Theres so many how would I decide?!

You really can't Joe! They are all wonderful. From the very showy to the simple and understated to the simply bizarre. The most problematic thing about orchids is deciding on which one to get! :p

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love them, Mach!

Be careful they are addicting, just like trees...

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't get them to bloom again. Any advice.
Thanks
Joedes

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No idea. Bought them at Home Depot they called them ice orchids. They say to add an ice cube twice a week. I water instead. Maybe that's what's wrong.
Joe

Last edited:
Top Bottom