Orchids

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No idea. Bought them at Home Depot they called them ice orchids. They say to add an ice cube twice a week. I water instead. Maybe that's what's wrong.
Joe

You most likely bought a phalaenopsis orchid. They require more shady conditions and in order to trigger flowering, they need crisp, cool nights. Do a google search for more detailed growing tips. Another group of orchids are the Cattleyas. These are the king of orchids. The variety of flowers in shape and color is seemingly limitless. These need more sunny locations and can be kept quite cold during winter time.

Forget the ice. Water thoroughly about once a week. and give them strong indirect light. Kept outdoors is preferable during the warm months. Orchids are air plants so don't need to be wet all the time.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Lee, your orchids are stunning, I especially love the Ophrys on a slab, and the Epipactis is good too. We have Epipactis growing wild in my local forest preserve, someday I when I find some growing where it is legal to dig them up I'll collect one.

Mach5 - your blue Cattleya is very nice.

I don't have any current photos of my miniatures, but in my too fussy a grower to use as Kusamono category, I did bloom this Cypripedium hybrid, (kentuckyensis x microsarcos) The washed out pictures are from late May 2015, in person the colors are a little bit brighter.

kentuckiensis x microsaccos -May27-2015c-small.jpg

whole plant 2015
kentuckiensis x microsaccos -May27-2015c-small.jpg kentuckiensis x microsaccos -May27-2015a.jpg

scarriedoc

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some of mine, although not small enough to make good accent plants...

Attachments

• 0110211352a.jpg
    0110211352a.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 0110211348.jpg
    0110211348.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 1216201031a~2.jpg
    1216201031a~2.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1128201435.jpg
    1128201435.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 21

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I can't believe I've missed this thread. I keep some Phals in my office to cheer it up. These are blooming now. The one I got for my birthday last year at the orchid show at the Missouri Botanical garden called "Hot Kiss" is just starting to bloom. They canceled the orchid show this year. :(jan orchid.jpgjan orchid3.jpgjan orchid2.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Warlock - About them orchids.

In 2015, I "bought the farm" meaning I became a partner in a blueberry farm. A fun adventure that sucked up all my time, and then some. Right now I am in the process of "unloading the farm", as it has proved to be more work than I can handle. Hope to be "bought out" by spring. During the time we owned the farm, my orchid collection went from over 1000 orchids to less than 100 orchids. I am hoping with my second retirement to rebuild my orchid collection, maybe keep around 200 or 300 orchids. Enough is enough. Sadly, the Cypripediums in the photo were a casualty of the downsizing.

But I will always have a few orchids.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Warlock - About them orchids.

In 2015, I "bought the farm" meaning I became a partner in a blueberry farm. A fun adventure that sucked up all my time, and then some. Right now I am in the process of "unloading the farm", as it has proved to be more work than I can handle. Hope to be "bought out" by spring. During the time we owned the farm, my orchid collection went from over 1000 orchids to less than 100 orchids. I am hoping with my second retirement to rebuild my orchid collection, maybe keep around 200 or 300 orchids. Enough is enough. Sadly, the Cypripediums in the photo were a casualty of the downsizing.

But I will always have a few orchids.
WOW>. you have been busy.. i didn't know you did something else besides answering my n00b questions on BN> LOL

i used have several but i didn't really know what i was doing.. just buying reduced stock from box stores.. so i was thinking about getting some.. maybe my wife would be more forgiving to my tress purchases if i got something she might like..
did you keep them in greenhouse or just around the house!?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My orchids were all under lights in the basement.

Well grown Phalaenopsis orchids can bloom continuously, year round. Seedling Phalaenopsis will normally bloom in spring through summer. But once your Phalaenopsis plant is mature enough, usually 4 pairs or more of leaves (8 or more leaves) they switch to a more continuous mode of blooming. My mother's Phal. Baldan's Kaleidoscope continuously had at least one or more flowers open for a 5 year stretch.

It does not require many plants to always have at least one orchid blooming. Trick is to buy mature plants, that will rebloom without a lot of time. Orchids sold in big box stores are usually first bloom seedlings. They often require 2 or 3 years to build enough energy to bloom a second time. The bigger, the older the plant, the more energy for re-blooming. So it does take time to build an everblooming collection.

But if you choose your specimens well, you can have an orchid or more in bloom year round with as few as 10 plants. Phalaenopsis are good. Psychopsis with their long lived inflorescences, are good. The Cochlopetalum group of Paphiopedilum have flower stems that will keep producing blooms, one at a time for as much as 5 or 6 years.

Other orchids have incredibly long lasting flowers. For example the Latuouia section of Dendrobium. Individual flowers will stay fresh looking for 6 months. Some Paphiopedilum (Paphs) have flowers that last 3 or 4 months. Paphs don't rebloom very often, but when they do, the flowers last.

So with just a dozen plants you could have a constant flower show going for yourself and your wife's enjoyment.

scarriedoc

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful, what are the first two?
The first is a Clowesetum Diane Drisch and the second is a Clowesia Rebecca Northen 'Mikabi'. They lose their leaves in winter while they go dormant but flower at the same time. They are super easy. No water over winter.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The first is a Clowesetum Diane Drisch and the second is a Clowesia Rebecca Northen 'Mikabi'. They lose their leaves in winter while they go dormant but flower at the same time. They are super easy. No water over winter.
Thanks, very cool. I asked because of the lack of leaves, wanted to look into them. Definitely adding them to the list 😅

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois. What kind of light were you using?
Did you have them out in open or enclosed to contain some humidity?
I should have built a humidity tent. If I ever build the collection back up again I will do that. A humidity tent with an exhaust fan to blow the excess humidity outside. The orchids are in the basement. I have water damage to window sashes on the first and second floors because of humidity migrating through the house and condensing on the windows in winter. Now that the collection was downsized, this is not as much a problem. But I got a lot of damaged wood to repair or replace.

When I started, it was just T-12 fluorescent shop lights. 2 fixtures, so 4 lamps over a section of bench. Later I started adding High Pressure Sodium, the Sun-Agro type lamps. A 400 watt HPS would light a space 48 x 48 inches. I tried a 1000 watt HPS, just too much heat generated. Later I switched to 48 inch fixtures for T-5 High Output. Usually 4 or 6 or 8 lamp fixtures. The 8 lamp fixtures were as bright or brighter than the 400 watt HPS with only a small fraction of the heat. I tried LEDs in 2006 & 2008, dismal failures. At the time, LEDs were not up to the task. I have seen better performing LEDs on the market now. I would possibly try them in the future. Except, the fixtures I have still work. One of my HPS ballasts is still working fine after 35 years of continuous use.

For someone just getting into under lights growing, see Craig's, = CMeg1 's posts on under lights growing. You don't have to go that over the top, but the lights he uses are excellent lights.

If you have more than 200 plants, build a humidity tent with an exhaust fan to outdoors, because once you get that many plants together in one spot they start making their own weather.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Does anyone use orchids?
I love tiny orchids- I can never get them to rebloom. I know I don't fertilize enough.
They are easy enough to grow though.
Just curious if there was any here.
Orchids? Yawn. They're everywhere. Down the hill is Hilo. Google Hilo orchids. My neighbor is an orchid judge, she gave this dainty translucent one to me. Leo knows the name. I feed some of them now and then but not fish emulsion.
:eek: All I ever hear is "they seem to bloom better when ignored."

Attachments

• P1020513.JPG
    P1020513.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 17
  • P1000793.JPG
    P1000793.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 19

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Orchids? Yawn. They're everywhere. Down the hill is Hilo. Google Hilo orchids. My neighbor is an orchid judge, she gave this dainty translucent one to me. Leo knows the name. I feed some of them now and then but not fish emulsion.
:eek: All I ever hear is "they seem to bloom better when ignored."

#1. - I'm thinking Podangis species, am I right?
#2 - Encyclia polybulbon
#3 - Brassia species.

For those that can not see the scale, the first two are miniatures, the flowers are less than an inch across. The Brassia, #3 is 6 to 10 inches from petal tip to petal tip.

All 3 should have nice fragrances.

Did I get it right?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would this be brassia? @Leo in N E Illinois
483073AD-5AC0-4DE6-9758-640B5893FD8A.jpeg
and oncodium?
EB9959AC-DA4A-4AA0-9D6B-04E21BD9C3FA.jpeg
these are not my plants. Someone was looking for an ID. This is my guess.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I misspelled the second one- oncidium

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
#1. - I'm thinking Podangis species, am I right?
#2 - Encyclia polybulbon
#3 - Brassia species.

For those that can not see the scale, the first two are miniatures, the flowers are less than an inch across. The Brassia, #3 is 6 to 10 inches from petal tip to petal tip.

All 3 should have nice fragrances.

Did I get it right?
Leo, I didn't remember but I do remember you commenting on it when I showed it years ago and now the name sounds familiar. ;)

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Orchids like to be in small pots right? Im thinking this one is due for a repot. It seems rootbound and drainage is slow. Should I put it in a bigger pot?095D3194-0EB4-4CCD-9C0B-E7EDF26B1F45.jpeg

Top Bottom