Outdoor Bonsai for indirect lade (north side)

bonsaika

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone,
I am living in southern Germany and I am wondering what would be good bonsai tree species that can be grown outdoors with nearly no direct sunlight. My garden is on the north side of a big apartment building, so I have unobstructed view towards the sky, but no sun. Indirect light seems to be around 10k Lux most of the day.

Also a related question: For sun loving species such as Pines, what is the minimum amount of light to make it survive, when will it grow and obviously it will thrive in full sun, but I am wondering whether someone has more fine-granular data...

Best regards!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a mugo in the shade, under my benches. It's growing, but very little. A thin balance between bad health and just enough sun to keep it healthy. Mugos are pretty cheap in Germany, so you can always give it a try for a couple euros. But 4 hours of full sun is something you'd want for most conifers.

Deciduous trees like beech can handle a lot of shade. Taxus is also known to do OK in the undergrowth of the forest. Larch or spruce might(!) work, but here too it's better to have them in the sun. Quercus performs better in sun, they get way less mildew and other issues.
I'm not sure about maples or other deciduous trees.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
>> Indirect light seems to be around 10k Lux most of the day

That is the most German thing I have ever heard.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't waste my time on anything that isn't "shade loving".

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

bonsaika

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
>> Indirect light seems to be around 10k Lux most of the day

That is the most German thing I have ever heard.
:D glad I was able to make you laugh.

I just like measuring things 😄

Top Bottom