Pot suggestions for interesting white satsuki clump

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I started to think about some sort of slab/natural style of pot but
This tree reminds me a bit of the Hagedorn hemlock that he blogged about recently. Maybe a treatment like that would be beautiful for this unusual and beautiful tree.
Hmmm...havent thought about a slab type/natural type of potting yet! Thanks for the idea. Ill def. check it out.

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Agreed. I’ll explore that option for sure. Too many choices!
Still leaning towards a deeper lotus/flower style pot, either glazed or unglazed.
Lots to think about... also might reduce that long lower trunk a little.
D65489C0-8822-48A3-B757-6B362ED6BE2B.jpeg503476C9-AE28-46B8-A029-BDE20C7608B9.jpegC1CEBDFE-169E-41D9-848C-7C03D3754C10.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need the tree on this page.E3E39C82-1307-471B-AAB9-8DB394CEBED2.jpeg

Shortening that low one makes them all closer on length. Seeing as how they are all the same sizeish, I'd be looking to keep lengths different.

Especially that low branch could make the tree, and more specifically, make it a semi, or full Cascade.

We shouldn't take seeing it style lightly, before selecting a pot.

I'm all for kicking around ideas.....
But what happens if the low branch completely snaps off during styling?

No more Cascade!

Not that, but the idea of seeing it on a more final styled state, is nearly a MUST to make a good good decision.

So get out that old aloemeanium and get to work!

So far I'm digging that blue lotus most.

But how far is this going to change with styling?

Or will you let the pot determine the tree?

Are we hovering somewhere between these 2?

Cheers!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like the upright is ignorant.

Where leaning it over heavy and cascading it deep into other peoples space is EXTRA Ignorant.

And that kinda how pretty girls do.

Sorce

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I feel like the upright is ignorant.

Where leaning it over heavy and cascading it deep into other peoples space is EXTRA Ignorant.

And that kinda how pretty girls do.

Sorce
So you think I should angle to the right a little more and make a deeper semi-cascade?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you think I should angle to the right a little more and make a deeper semi-cascade?

I think you're talking exactly about what is near impossible to explain....

Pushing the top back and right, and pulling the low part forward, down and left slightly.

So it has more depth, less height, and more Cascade, nearing full, depending on the pot?

I think it will be apparent In person....

My thing is, with so much technically "working against you", like a pretty girls pretty just brings too much attention, the three wonderfully snaking trunks that, are the "exact same" thickness and damn near length, it's kind of ugly in a way....but not... Flowers.....

With Pot completely out of mind, and considering styling this material alone first.....

Something about it needs that real extra Ignorant, yes I AM DOING THIS vibe, or it will easily fall into the, "oh nice try" category.

Almost like that contorted walking stick I was complaining about the other day.....

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Capture+_2020-02-12-09-47-32.png

This one falls right into that "oh nice try" category for me.

Like, if your going to be that Ignorant, tidy up your earrings a little, spray down them baby hairs.

The same as dudes allow that pretty girl her Ignorance only because she is stunning, (I don't advocate this BTW), that little unkempt disallows the ignorance. Changes it to tacky IMO.

I think yours represents this feeling now because of its unwired new growth. That is it's bit of unkempt. Making it hard to make a solid pot decision.

Somehow all these things must be thought about together, but also seperately, to come to a good conclusion.

Something I thought about talking to @thumblessprimate1 about pottery.

A thing of a "thought wheel". Does it exist?

Where things like, Pot, tree, and styling...(accent, accent pot, table height, scroll, tablecloth color, etc)

Or, kiln, clay, process...

These things must be thrown into this thought wheel, allowed to tumble and marinate together, since each will determine each other and so on....

Toss em in, tumble em around, and in the end a proper outcome....

These "special circumstance" trees, these, "styles that are hard to pull off", windswept, Cascade, etc....

Everything must be thought of. Down to how many fronds will be on your accent fern.
How many strokes on your scroll.
The amount of daylight that will enter the indoor arena during the display.

Turn every rock.

Make her sexy!

Sorce

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

View attachment 283451

This one falls right into that "oh nice try" category for me.

Like, if your going to be that Ignorant, tidy up your earrings a little, spray down them baby hairs.

The same as dudes allow that pretty girl her Ignorance only because she is stunning, (I don't advocate this BTW), that little unkempt disallows the ignorance. Changes it to tacky IMO.

I think yours represents this feeling now because of its unwired new growth. That is it's bit of unkempt. Making it hard to make a solid pot decision.

Somehow all these things must be thought about together, but also seperately, to come to a good conclusion.

Something I thought about talking to @thumblessprimate1 about pottery.

A thing of a "thought wheel". Does it exist?

Where things like, Pot, tree, and styling...(accent, accent pot, table height, scroll, tablecloth color, etc)

Or, kiln, clay, process...

These things must be thrown into this thought wheel, allowed to tumble and marinate together, since each will determine each other and so on....

Toss em in, tumble em around, and in the end a proper outcome....

These "special circumstance" trees, these, "styles that are hard to pull off", windswept, Cascade, etc....

Everything must be thought of. Down to how many fronds will be on your accent fern.
How many strokes on your scroll.
The amount of daylight that will enter the indoor arena during the display.

Turn every rock.

Make her sexy!

Sorce
Sorce,

Thanks for the words, seriously. Making me think outside the box a bit. Sounds like styling it first might be the best way to gauge the proper pot and get a real glimpse of the true character of the tree. I agree about trying to pull that low branch down and closer to the pot , while moving around the others to make it more compact. Ill post some pics after wiring. Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Making me think outside the box a bit.

Or is it directly inside the "knock this out the...." Box?

I just think there's only one good way, and bonsai certainly allows us the time to find it!

Homer pitch! Knock...!

The more "what if's" we can remove from the equation, the closer we will be to correct.

So many "what if's" come with a styling. From broken twigs to creating something that simply couldn't have been seen by human eyes, regardless of future vision goggle prescription, before the styling began.

For me, that's (contemplating a pot) just way too much energy wasted thinking about something that might never have a possibility of existing.

I damn near perfectly like the pot it's in, dressed up!

Ahhhh...
Forgive my rambling, this is one of those joints that gets me right fired up!

Sorce

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Pruning question. My azalea has a ton of three pronged whirls that I need to cut down to two prongs. I usually prune these in summer/fall, but I didn’t last year. Is it ok to do this work now and then wire? Not sure what to do with flower buds yet either, they are on 75% of all tips. I need the tee to push more growth so might remove most of them.

Attachments

• AD618DBD-048A-4D34-BF5D-D6F92BF5AFE8.jpeg
    AD618DBD-048A-4D34-BF5D-D6F92BF5AFE8.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 65D3E56A-CADB-4590-9A18-36C35625CC20.jpeg
    65D3E56A-CADB-4590-9A18-36C35625CC20.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 8

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can reduce whorls down to pairs anytime. I tend to wait until just after flowering.

Top Bottom