Tree suggestions for my “pot” please

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had this awesome chicken soup that gets cooked in a coconut. After emptying all the nuttiness out I figured it will look interesting if I planted something in it.
I’m just not sure what’s gonna work. Of course I need to stabilise it somehow so it doesn’t roll around.
What kinda tree can I plant in here? I was thinking one of those mame cascading JBPs. What do you guys think?
3A8DEE1E-69AF-4214-8C02-1ED4CC9C5AAA.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some sort of cascading vine might look nice here, some sort of ivy...I think you'd need to add some drainage holes, and feet so it can actually get out the drain holes. I wonder if it will eventually break down the fibers with all the watering, but that could look cool in the process too.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the pine idea but idk how long the coconut will last. Had some young thai coconuts I cleaned like yours and set out to dry but they cracked before I ever got around to planting anything in them

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really like the idea. It’s a creative pot, and you also have a story behind it, which makes it even cooler.

I thought of one thing to consider when it comes time to repot in a year or two. The diameter of the hole is smaller than the diameter of the widest part of the pot. So when you repot, it’s possible that the diameter of the root ball might be too large to fit through the hole when you try to pull it out. But to Judy’s point, the pot may already be breaking down by that point anyway.

I say go for it and post a picture!

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's fine...I just know the feet look like a giant tarantula. It always receives comments from all guests as to what is it!?! All feel it's so cool. But I understand.
View attachment 215609
This brings back memories, my grandma had one of these that crept all over the veranda.
@JudyB ill try to see if I can get my hands on a drill or something, and I’ll get feet so it doesn’t roll away (4 storey drop to the bottom)
@BonsaiNaga13 i went and ordered the pine, was only 3 or 4 USD, I’m not sure what the exchange rate is.

The coconut chicken soup is popular here, if it cracks or dissolves, I’ll just have more soup to get another coconut and shape the hole a bit bigger maybe

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can saw the top off if need be. I'm inspired to try one now. Just drill holes where the eyes are and figure out how to sit it sturdy, maybe make some feet for it

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can saw the top off if need be. I'm inspired to try one now. Just drill holes where the eyes are and figure out how to sit it sturdy, maybe make some feet for it
Like this?
54A8553B-3276-4337-B13E-D5C51E5B9B67.jpeg
I made a dent with a pocket knife and then just screwed. I’m amazed that it didn’t crack. I’ll do a few more for drainage holes.

D

Deleted member 21616

I would be inclined to plant something reminiscent of a coconut tree in there, like one of these palms for example. There are so many varieties to choose from, and I imagine some do better than others at being kept small.

Attachments

• butterfly_palm.jpg
    butterfly_palm.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2
  • pottedpalm.jpg
    pottedpalm.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 7

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As mentioned, some ivy and maybe that pine could look good in that "pot". I would try to make the top more open and the cut not so clean and straight... Something like this
c-R7217454_90590_20160930_88551.jpg
As for breaking down, when I was a boy I had a coconut shell sitting on the gravel bottom of my tank of fish and it lasted many years underwater.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As mentioned, some ivy and maybe that pine could look good in that "pot". I would try to make the top more open and the cut not so clean and straight... Something like this
View attachment 215634
As for breaking down, when I was a boy I had a coconut shell sitting on the gravel bottom of my tank of fish and it lasted many years underwater.
That's the shape I had in mind

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 215634
Weirdly, this is almost ideal as I don’t have the tools to make s clean cut. I saw tiny little hacksaws at the supermarket that’s even shorter than the circumference of my coconut. I can maybe get one of those to open it up a bit.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Weirdly, this is almost ideal as I don’t have the tools to make s clean cut. I saw tiny little hacksaws at the supermarket that’s even shorter than the circumference of my coconut. I can maybe get one of those to open it up a bit.
It could work. I thought you had already made that clean cut. In that case, concerning tools, maybe pliers could work, slowly and carefuly.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
P.S. I think wood can be kept underwater for a very long time especially in aquarium conditions when your water is supposed to be super clean. What aids wood rot is always being between wet and dry.

I’ll try out your pliers idea. I haven’t got my own place so I can’t build and break as I please, that’s why I haven’t gotten any man tools yet, also, in China, manual labour is frowned upon so I can’t just borrow from a buddy either. I don’t know why these guys don’t learn to work with their hands

Top Bottom